Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Golang unironically owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

goroutines are cool and anything that cuts down on clutter is a good thing imo

but yeah 'dilettante' just about sums me up as a person

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

objective c is the worst loving poo poo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ahhh spiders posted:

why
learning it after years of java and I hate it. its yucky. I thought it would be just like C but its not its got a bunch of weird poo poo

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 26, 2012

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ahhh spiders posted:

are you using the stanford itunes u course

no... should I

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

nerds always get mad when I tell people that Java is a good first PL. certainly I agree that, like most computing platforms, the java platform is horrible garbage largely due to mismanagement by its parent company, Oracle. but it is a good entry point to programming imo.

and just cause someone learns programming in java doesnt obviate them using java in the future.

am I a bastard for thinking this? my first compiled language was C

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 28, 2013

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Teaching algorithms and data structures in C is good, having programmers write their very first programs in some non-awful asm (i.e. not x86) is better, maybe even hand-assemble an instruction or two.

The closer their mental model of a computer is to "a machine made of many simple parts" and the further away it is from "an incomprehensible mystic construct you chant memorised spells at" the better

oh yeah I loved cmpt 150/250, where we p much went from truth tables to designing a complete MIPS CPU, writing asm programs and whatnot. having already been around the OO block a fair bit it was awesome to get back to basics and learn how it all fits together.

but idk if it's the best use of your time if you're dealing with a weekend warrior who just wants to play with some code and make dumb little things which nonetheless vaguely feel like the software they use at home.

the other day I helped a math major with an assignment from an intro programming class, and their stupid professor wanted them write a java program which simulated a MIPS architecture with opcodes and poo poo. so they were having to learn and apply high level programming AND computer design at the same time. it was atrocious.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 28, 2013

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I've been exposed to a pretty big variety of languages in school but definitely in terms of total lines written Java is the main one.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i am sorry if this has come up about 500 times already but does anyone want to explain the benefits of duck typing to me

right now I've got "it's maybe easier for dumbs" and that's about it. this shitfuck declared a bunch of fields at the top of a file, what are they? I don't know because they're all "var"

e: lol Duck typing has been demonstrated to increase programmer productivity in a controlled experiment.[18][not in citation given]

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 24, 2014

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

brevity is an often overlooked argument since it is easy to feel it is just code for being lazy, but there is also a bit of a tendency that the complexity of the unit of code you can effectively work with (and as a consequence the maximum size of a unit of abstraction) is bounded by the amount you can reasonably efficiently see at one time. brevity without duck typing is possible, but type inference is not exactly fully solved in general, and complex polymorphism will often be rather tricky (or at least verbose) to work with

hardly a convincing argument in itself, but if anything supports the efficiency increase claims i do think the amount of information you can fit in a certain amount of space is a big part of it

I used to think I liked this as well but it becomes a nightmare with larger projects (e.g. anything with more than like 2 ppl) and I just cant

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

are you really talking about duck typing or is it really dynamic typing

probably yeah