Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

if someone wants json its always because they want to use javascript which means its always wrong

nope. you can't discount the possibility that they don't want to use JavaScript but are stupid anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
cxf superiority

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Damiya posted:

normally I agree with Shaggar.

but not about SOAP

gently caress that poo poo

why do you disagree

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Bloody posted:

who gives a poo poo about the underlying protocol if you arent just farting data into one library and burping it out another youre doing something wrong

for real everyone on this page except shaggar needs to read this post right here and take it deep down into the depths of their hearts and realise how completely and utterly mind blowing it is for them

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

lol no. no one should be writing their own serialization tools in ttyool 2014. if you are then you're a loving moron and all you're doing is creating problems for no reason.

lol ya, but web developers haven't even sussed out Unicode yet so you're spinning your wheels here buddy

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
all i think about right now is this thing

http://www.mongodb-is-web-scale.com

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
mysql is fine as long as you don't do anything important in it

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, no, everyone including shaggar needs to loving differentiate between things being an unchangeable landscape you work with because you are getting paid and no one paying anyone to be an idealistic idiot wanting to reinvent rpc

to be fair it takes a lot to bring autistic idiots to the trivial first step of working on what you are paid to work on, even if bad, without breaking apart from the strain, but the *next* step is to internalize that there exists a better way at the same time, because while you can't achieve it *now*, that is the path down which progress *eventually* lies

not sure what ur on about (not sure you know either tbh) but im betting u haven't actually made a soap web service the way its supposed to be made (by the computer)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

coffeetable posted:

you know of anything better than railroad diagrams?

(that one is badly laid out though)

yes

the literal grammar

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
but for real, lol if you can't pick up a new language in like a day

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

there was a Toyota ad during hockey the other day where 2 hands come in and open a door or something to a picture of a lovely truck or whatever but one of the hands had ring so all I could think of was goatass which greatly improved the ad.

idk whether this is a stark condemnation of the ad or a grand celebration of goatman. maybe both

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
what you're trying to say is you know lots of low level stuff, but have little to no experience, which means you don't know it

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
tbh if I was you i'd get involved with some open source projects that do low level stuff so you can at least have something solid to point to when you apply to your job of memory janitor

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
do a wine patch or two. if you can get a patch into wine then your pretty much golden

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
lol

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

2banks1swap.avi posted:

:q:

Where I work I was the only person who actually understood how heartbleed worked.

This is depressing as poo poo.

this is literally what stops me from leaving my job, everyone around me is way smarter than me and i learn so much poo poo. work with smart people basically.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Where do you get documentation on what the device actually poops out and what the OS expects? How do you do it without needing an oscilloscope or other special equipment?

If I have to invest in this then I'd like to know and do it.

Linux, and expecting good documentation is extremely optimistic

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
for real, hacking Linux drivers is probably one of the hardest programming gigs on the planet, apart from justifying php in PL thread

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
wine has an endless list of sound problems which you could take a look at. although it might end up making you want to commit suicide

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i'm entirely convinced that Linux audio wouldn't be so bad if alsa wasn't a horrific piece of buggy undocumented poo poo that has plagued the OS ever since oss went non free

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
seriously thank God creative sound cards aren't a thing anymore

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Bloody posted:

oh good its time for wrong opinions about color schemes again
dark text on light background is still optimal

this is wrong esp when working low light like yosposter should be doing

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

tef posted:

that said i usually convert to whatever editor is popular in the office so pair programming is easier

everyone programs in Emacs in my office whereas I program in vim exclusively

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Stringent posted:

this is p much exactly like being gay, so i doubt anyone's gonna hassle you too bad

i thoroughly and automatically pwn anyone who tries to commandeer my text editor with their noob-tier emacs expectations

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
posting itt to say that Qt owns and everyone should use it instead of some utter garbage like gtk or loving winapi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i would set vim to the default text editor on our dev servers too but it would be too risky and too obvious who did it