Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

You can tell the dilettantes because they make posts about go that aren't "lol, go"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

A language without generics, has lovely tools, and mandates conservative gc? Sign me up, I'm sure I'll have loads of fun reimplementing what would be 4 dependencies in my pom.xml if I were using java.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lol bloom filter. If you do it an array then use an array

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Btw I meant array not map I know some "developers" are confused about the difference from php-induced idiocy

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Someday I'm gonna get sent to interview some ~promising fresh grad talent~ and I'm gonna ask "hey, like, what are arrays?" and they're gonna say "idk" or "those are the things where you have, like, keys and values, right?" and I will say "thanks for saving me some time, bye bye" while fantasizing about breaking their fingers do I don't need to worry about them running loose and capable of programming.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Ronald Raiden posted:

php "arrays" aren't even proper dictionaries. iirc you can only use like strings or ints as keys or something gay like that, I forget.
yeah they also have value semantics and preserve insertion order. Literally the worst map implementation

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I guess if you have to do front end stuff the web sucks but that's why you don't do that. Just work on the cool and fun backend things and if someone tries to get you to debug some JS you go separation of concerns, BITCH and then do a 360 and walk off

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I'm so loving glad I have apple everything. Had no idea there was a new gmail interface until my wife started bitching (no she's not a goon)

Ps inverse Icarus you need to put out more your wife has major hysteria like I can tell all the way across the Internet

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

haskell is old news the only reason anyone says anything good about it is that we don't have a new hotness yet. for free i will share what the Next Big Thing will look like: language support for bloom filters, tries, and sharding. maybe some other things that you can do perfectly well with one or at most two arrays. it will not support arrays.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i think janin is trying to troll but its p difficult to separate his real wrongposts from the fake ones

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I asked for and received 60k because I didn't know any better and later got bumped to 72k because company I work for is looking to get an h1b for 71k. So at least in the DC area I guess you can get 75k just for having a CS degree and knowing what an iterator is

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Janin posted:

any time you can offload some sort of annoying mechanical process to your reports, it's a huge win.
420 get promoted to management erryday

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

C++ is so loving full of ambiguity around types and variable decls and that guy had to go on about >> smdh.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Janin posted:

Nested templates vs the bitshift operator are symptomatic of C++'s poor design, but they're not a fundamental issue with the language so much as just a minor mistake in the grammar. Every major compiler will provide a decent error message in C++98 mode, and should accept it in C++11 mode.

"Ambiguity" is the wrong word, his professor was probably generalizing a bit.

The problem with C++ is that is grammar is undecidable and its template system is Turing-complete. Together, this means that it is literally impossible to create a C++ parser. The only way to process C++ is to compile it.

Perl 5 (and probably 6) has a similar issue.
go watch anime the adults are talking

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Actually it does if you're cool

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I can barely handle amps and volts but then you get to AC poo poo and there's frequencies and inductances and phases and jyfdjytdkuyewttsuted now I code java for money

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

ive been doing interviewstreet challenges to learn how to do Real Programming Problems

for some reason, they have support for loving lua, but not javascript. i'm using python instead but still, what the gently caress? ugh.
tbqh I would loving love to work with a good front-end dev and IMO if you need real programming on the client side you hosed up bad. Just want someone to worry about W3C poo poo and Ajax call my code to get the heavy lifting done

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Like if you can figure how to fill in an object and call $.ajax that's good enough for webs

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ahhh spiders posted:

if it's so easy why don't you do it
cause I don't like HTML and CSS, at least not more than a once in a while break from more difficult tasks

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I never troll it's beneath me (much like your mom :unsmigghh:)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Ahhh spiders I am your father

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Necc0 posted:

pick up an algorithms book and learn some math

anal, if you're going to do this and also keep programming JS then also learn yourself some VM internals. knowing an algorithm is worth dick poo poo if you can't implement it.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm a Maker. i Make things. also i have no understanding of basic electrical concepts and think LEDs are light bulbs.

umm you supply power and ground and it lights up it sounds like a lightbulb to me??? have you been to home depot lately they even have led light bulbs now :owned:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

anal, if you're going to do this and also keep programming JS then also learn yourself some VM internals. knowing an algorithm is worth dick poo poo if you can't implement it.

i still don't get why people are saying this guy who likes front end work should learn algos though. if you're doing anything that counts as implementing an algorithm on your loving webpage or code-behind or whatever the gently caress then you hosed up bad.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

idk every time i hear someone's tale from an interview it's not "so they had me mock up a quick web application on the platform of my choice using a provided API" (this would be a killer loving way to interview a front-end dev btw) it's "well they had me whiteboard code these 17 different math/algo problems"

it takes like 30 seconds to copy a list of algorithms into evernote to use as interview questions. anyway just make some bomb-rear end webs and eventually you'll find a company that wants to pay you to make bomb-rear end webs or maybe you won't, and then eventually everyone you love will die. so it goes.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

its inefficient and if you're using a garbage collector will easily swamp the gc with a ton of unused strings unless you just use a char buffer and, well, then you've basically taken an endrun around immutable strings anyway

what do you mean use one thing when it's appropriate and another thing when it's not? there must be one thing that you do every time in every situation

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

oh no i'm creating 1k of garbage per second from unnecessary string copying ~~MY EFFICIENCY~~

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

*makes a billion temporary objects*
goddamn java is so slow gently caress this poo poo sucks

shitrotorsays.txt

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

nice comeback, rotor is old, interesting

ur old I didn't know that!! :wth: i only meant your wrong but if yo uare old too than that makes a lot of cents!!!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Werthog posted:

your posting is always pretty poo poo but this one in particular was offensively bad. please leave and never return.
have you heard of the Overton window? You need me. Not generic "you", you, Werthog, need me to keep posting so you look barely tolerable by comparison.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

nice comeback, rotor is old, interesting
it took me a solid five minutes to figure out what you meant because that was actually accidental and I just liked the sound of "poo poo rotor says"

btw are you old old or just boomer old

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sang- posted:

on one hand java generics are poo poo. type erasure is really handy all none of the times.

on the other hand it was mostly designed by martin odersky, who basically designed scala himself and is an awesome language that uses a load of neat tricks to get around the limitations of the jvm, which makes the me think that the reason generics are poo poo is the jvm/backwards compatibility.

yeah it's not exactly a secret that type erasure is because back compat

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

im kinda pissed at java guys, they act like gc is super cool and everyone should use it and then when your heap gets over a couple gigs they're like "oh, you were going to *use* that heap? lol sucks to be you". at this point it looks like my best option is to break the one monster jvm into a bunch of little ones that can full collect independently and do something dumb to serialize requests to each baby jvm. all because I'm too dumb to manage my own memory and don't get to have memory pools

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

javascript is how you tell whether you're using a lovely language, by whether it makes JS look good or bad. js is the SI standard for meh in PL design

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

there's pretty much no limit to how much heap we could use because an expensive request will tie up 10GB of heap for several minutes (reducing heap usage is possible but not feasible in the next few months and poo poo is broken now, soooo). 64GB isn't enough for peak usage but it's enough that we're better off bouncing the server than letting it do a full GC because any requests from the front end time out before the gc finishes

i'm talking to azul and am currently at the "tell us everything about your setup and problem so we can decide if we think zing will help" stage

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

that's actually not a horrible strategy; spin up worker vm's with huge heaps every time you need to run a job and reclaim them immediately when the job is complete.

there's other mechanisms i heard about from azul like using some huge bytebuffer as some kind of scratchpad and never letting go of it but i've never had to go above ~ 8GB of heap and definitely never needed to gc that much so good luck i guess :/

yeah there are ways to fix it but setting anything up will take time and when i go to work on monday my boss will be in india, his boss will be on my rear end (my boss's primary job function is to be a target for his boss), and the client will be broadcasting bitchy emails about how we're a bunch of clowns for only doing a much better job than the previous contractor along any meaningful metric. so I'm hoping p. hard right now that azul's poo poo really is jesus jizz for gc problems :smith:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

write a monad tutorial

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ppp posted:

also installed fbsd on a vm and tried to compile the new xorg and the vbox driver but the vbox driver was (is) marked broken b.c of a bad plist. which is just internal bookkeeping stuff so im considering just forcing it through.

holy loly maybe you'd prefer gentoo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

quadpus posted:

oh look you can finally do web programming with a real language

code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <style>
      body,span{
        padding: 10px
      }
      input {
        margin: 10px
        }
      ol {
        border: solid 1px gray;
        min-height:100px;
        margin: 10px;
      }
    </style>
  </head>
  <body>
    <div id="container"></div>
    <!-- Generate main view -->
    <script type="text/domql">
      INSERT INTO (SELECT DIV FROM BODY WHERE ID='container') VALUES (
        CREATE ELEMENT h2 (
         innerText 'TODOS:'
        ),
        CREATE ELEMENT SPAN (
          innerText 'Count: 0',
          id 'count'
        ),
        CREATE ELEMENT OL (
         class 'list' 
        )
      );
      INSERT INTO (SELECT DIV FROM BODY WHERE ID='container') VALUES (
        CREATE ELEMENT LABEL (
          innerHTML 'Controls:'
        ),
        INSERT INTO (CREATE ELEMENT DIV(class 'controls')) VALUES (
            CREATE ELEMENT LABEL (
              innerHTML 'TODO:'
            ),
            CREATE ELEMENT INPUT (
              id 'input-name',
              type 'text'
            ),
            CREATE ELEMENT LABEL (
              innerHTML 'Time:'
            ),
            CREATE ELEMENT INPUT (
              id 'input-time',
              type 'text'
            ),
            CREATE ELEMENT INPUT (
              type 'submit',
              value 'add',
              onclick 'DOMQL.tmpl("add-list-item",
                                   DOMQL.tmpl("get-input", "input-name"),
                                   DOMQL.tmpl("get-input", "input-time")
                                  )
                       DOMQL.tmpl("update-count", DOMQL.tmpl("get-count"))'
            ),
            CREATE ELEMENT BR(),
            CREATE ELEMENT INPUT (
              type 'submit',
              value 'delete all',
              onclick 'DOMQL.tmpl("delete-all")
            ),
            CREATE ELEMENT BR(),
            CREATE ELEMENT INPUT (
              type 'submit',
              value 'gently caress TODOS. I go through life like a boss!',
              onclick 'DOMQL.tmpl("like-a-boss")'
            )
        )
      )
    </script>

<!-- PROCEDURES -->

<!-- Adds a todo item to the list -->
    <script id="add-list-item" type="text/domql-tmpl">
      INSERT INTO (SELECT OL FROM DIV WHERE CLASS = 'list') VALUES (
        INSERT INTO (CREATE ELEMENT LI (
          class 'item'
        )) VALUES (
          CREATE ELEMENT SPAN (
            class 'name',
            innerHTML '%s'
          ),
          CREATE ELEMENT SPAN (
            class 'time',
            innerHTML '%s'
          ),
          CREATE ELEMENT BUTTON (
            innerHTML 'Delete',
            onclick 'DOMQL.DELETE(this.parentNode)
          )
        )
      )
    </script>

<!-- Gets a value of an input element by id -->
    <script id="get-input" type="text/domql-tmpl">
      SELECT VAL(INPUT) FROM BODY.ALL WHERE ID = '%s'
    </script>

<!-- Gets the todo items count -->
    <script id="get-count" type="text/domql-tmpl">
      SELECT COUNT(LI) FROM OL
    </script>

<!-- Updates the todo count with an integer -->
    <script id="update-count" type="text/domql-tmpl">
      UPDATE (SELECT SPAN FROM BODY.ALL WHERE ID='count')
        SET innerText = 'Count: %d'
    </script>

<!-- Delete all todos -->
    <script id="delete-all" type="text/domql-tmpl">
      DELETE LI FROM OL WHERE CLASS = 'item'
    </script>

<!-- Like a boss! -->
    <script id="like-a-boss" type="text/domql-tmpl">
      DROP ELEMENT DIV;
      INSERT INTO BODY VALUES (
        CREATE ELEMENT IMG (
          src 'http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrcme60gbz1qzzzy9o1_500.jpg'
        )
      )  
    </script>
   <!-- END PROCEDURES -->

<!-- When the app is ready add a predefined item. -->
    <script>
    DOMQL.ready(function () {
        DOMQL.tmpl("add-list-item",'Learn DOMQL', (new Date).toTimeString())
        DOMQL.tmpl("update-count", DOMQL.tmpl("get-count"))
    })    
    </script>
  </body>
</html>

Leverage existing developer talent to create dynamic Oracle-powered web pages with Oracle Web Templating, an optional feature of Oracle Enterprise Eition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

iamthexander posted:

answer my question nerds

program to interfaces, not implementations