Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i went to a meetup thing for python last night, the two keynotes were both a little boring but one thing i took from it is that i need to learn c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

clearly java is dying

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

THC posted:

Golang unironically owns

do you like it? some of its syntax is a little odd, like it's having an identity crisis

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I'm what you might call a "Programming Language Philosopher"

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i need an internship/entry level gig. willing to work anywhere that isn't landlocked or a dull city. can basically start immediately. someone help please :(

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

is there a book on algorithms/data structures which is actually comprehensible without needing to know a shitload of math

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

z0ratio fartboner posted:

no

lol

welp

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

short of going directly to company websites and trying to track people down that way, what do you guys find to be the best places for finding job postings

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

newreply.php posted:

j/k i never open my linkedin

best job offers come from clients who have recommended me, or from people you randomly meet at a bar or something. i posted about a huuuge offer i got one day from a dude i had been talking with a couple of times but we both didnt know the other worked in IT as well. turned it down tho bc it seemed v difficult

i mentioned before that i was at a meetup thing for python users a couple nights ago, the only people who openly said they were hiring were still looking for people to do C#/F#/ASP so it had nothing at all to do with python, plus they said they did pair programming so i was even less interested

the jobs here are almost all asp/java and i've tried throwing some resumes out to places in other cities, i think the problem is unless you're fresh out of college or really qualified it's harder for far away places to take a shot at you. i guess you can lie about your address but then if they want to bring you in it's an issue

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

newreply.php posted:

so why not do a java job? do some python work on your own to show off if you want a python job.
ideally, learn a language for real men, such as C, or it's more evolved, smarter offshoot, Objective-C in conjunction with the wonderful Cocoa and CoaocoaTouch libraries

i could, but when every time you read something/someone saying that java is miserable it becomes more and more of a turnoff to ever learn. i have a basic grasp of objective-c (though i need to work on learning actual design for ios at some point), but i was going to spend some time actually learning c itself because there's a lot of c stuff that you don't really need to touch in objective-C/ios dev.

rotor i'd send you a resume (though i'm on the other side of the country) and a little thing i was working on that i uploaded to github but i don't know what level quantifies "competent"

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

learn the gently caress out of java, move to chicago, sell your soul to a trading firm, get paid 150-175k

upsides: money
downsides: java, bulls, bears, blackhawks, white sox, cubs

maybe i'll learn java. i dunno

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

I don't really have anything on my github and its not really an issue right now but I think for down the line it would be cool to have some stuff or contribute to a thing, the problem is yea, I suck at doing projects that aren't for work or school.

my problem is figuring out what to work on and how to contribute. do people just a) read every line of code looking for issues, or b) use/try to break the programs intentionally? also another issue is a lot of projects on github are uninteresting plugins/extensions for X program/Y language :\

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

tef posted:

fizzbuzzin'

code:
>>> from collections import Counter
>>> Counter("lol butts")
Counter({'l': 2, 't': 2, ' ': 1, 'b': 1, 'o': 1, 's': 1, 'u': 1})
>>> 

it's nice to know that stuff like this is built into python. permutations is another cool one.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

clicked link, safari died

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Internaut! posted:

the only people who say that are hipsters/kids or people with some snowflake solution to sell

java the language is very small and simple, you don't need to use 15 design patterns to do simple poo poo if you don't want to and people who argue that you do are loving idiots

seriously for what 90% of all development being done anywhere? C, C++, Java and bash scripts are all you'll ever need in terms of languages, this was true 10 years ago and it's still true today

the world needs more expert C developers who know how the linux kernel works in detail, not more hipster dilettantes who've sampled every language and paradigm on earth and can only make lovely crud web apps in all of them

yeah i'm starting to learn C. i've hosed around with Obj-C but i don't really feel entirely comfortable with it because i don't know C itself, and it'll make me a better programmer for learning it i think.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

bring back mosaic

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

8======D {} (;

me and i2's wife

sideways vagina???

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

use python 3

no dont

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Deuterieux posted:

i skipped the lat few pages. are all programming languages, methodologies, and development environments still unmitigated pieces of poo poo?

Yes

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

just gonna leave this here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3189022&pagenumber=92&perpage=40#post403147800

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

$5000 isn't what the degree cost, it's the amount of debt i incurred to get it

and while yes I learned plenty from cormen's book I learned practically nothing from the teacher "teaching" it but the general worthlessness of cs programs is a whole other thing

the best way to learn is really just by doing things. some books really are pretty good (Kochan is one writer who I think is actually very good), but when you can actually work on stuff and make it work is what helps most. it's even better when you have colleagues who can help you, such as in a work environment, but unfortunately a lot of companies need that 5-7 years' mastered experience with iOS, or the 20 years of Java.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Werthog posted:

re: programming languages

so i'm taking that online compilers class and during yesterday's lecture he showed three examples of archaic programming languages with ambiguity that can gently caress with lexical analysis

fortran, pl/1

guess the third one

cobol? i signed up for that class but i haven't looked at any of the material yet. how is it?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Sock on a Fish posted:

php more like lol

http://eindbazen.net/2012/05/php-cgi-advisory-cve-2012-1823/

We checked the Apache source, and it complies exactly with the RFC: if there is NO unescaped ‘=’ in the query string, the string is split on ‘+’ (encoded space) characters, urldecoded, passed to a function that escapes shell metacharacters (the “encoded in a system-defined manner” from the RFC) and then passes them to the CGI binary.

Unfortunately, it appears the PHP devs forgot about this section of the RFC, and decided to remove the code which defends against it somewhere in 2004:

Oddly enough, the PHP documentation still claims that PHP ignores command line arguments when run in CGI mode. That documentation page also describes another mitigation used in PHP: the REDIRECT_STATUS environment variable must be set, or PHP will refuse to run as a CGI script. This means we cannot directly access /cgi-bin/php5-cgi. This doesn’t really inconvenience us though, as mentioned earlier :-)

this is a lot of words. does it mean that php sucks?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

experience a more beautiful web snype

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Sniep posted:

nice mba, left side dock supremacy

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

av i know how you feel, just keep on keeping on you are in a better position than i am at least :unsmith:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ppp posted:

it says stanford right on the page, idk what you are talking about

yeah honestly who gives a gently caress about the page, i didn't even notice that it was bootstrap and i've used it a little bit before

you should apply for ~~user experience~~ positions

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Rufo posted:

then this should definitely be your starting point. being able to understand formal logic and reading/writing proofs and WHAT A GRAPH IS is a fundamental skill in cs

you can forget most of what you did in calc cos its not reallllllly applicable much at this point

i liked signing up for the coursera algo course and by maybe the third lecture i had no loving clue what was going on. i'm about ready to pack it up on trying to get a dev job and just kill myself or do retail for the rest of my life

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

all programming languages are terrible

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

one of the biggest problems with many programming languages today is lovely documentation

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

just because you dont understand programming doesnt mean the documentation is bad

no, it's still often bad

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

wheres shaggar he hasnt been around for a lil bit

python owns

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ahahaha yesssss :getin:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

please tell me you use svn

shaggars code is perfect he doesnt need it

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

lol the end

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

1) what kind of a name is shanley
2) who gives a gently caress, god drat this is why i never post anything on twitter

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

text editor posted:

Some enterprising young ex-tech workers create a brothel where programmers will feel comfortable enough to go. They decide that in order to attract normally shy and uncomfortable programmers, they should outfit the rooms with blinking lights, paint source code on the walls, and teach the prostitutes to make small talk about the differences between Vim and Emacs.

On opening day, a large line of sexless nerds forms at the facility to patronize a brothel that seems to make them feel welcome. The first person to tour the whorehouse and partake of the services within is Reddit admin hueypriest, a broken shell of a man who has never known the touch of a woman. One of the guides hired to show people takes hueypriest past the Mountain Dew nd beer bar to the Python room, to give him an example of the decor and to introduce him to some of the sex workers.

"Welcome to the Python room. As you can see, the walls include some of the most interesting quotes from Guido van Rossum, cool music visualizers displayed on the wall, written in Pygame that we allow you to hack to your liking, and his awesome bed shaped like the python logo. Also, what some may call our gimmick, we have staffed this room with 21-year-old Dutch girls who were born within 2 months and within 100 miles of where Python was created. Similarly, we have a Perl room down the hall for customers who prefer a slightly older Midwestern American woman, and even a C room for patrons who enjoy that MILF-look"

One of the girls piped up and joked "they tossed around the idea of adding in a LISP or Fortran room, but decided the market was probably too small."

"So," the toured guide asked, "did you want to check out the other rooms or do you already know what you want?"

Predictably, hueypriest responded "You wouldn't happen to have a C# or Scala room, would you?"' not because he is particularly interested or knowledgeable about either language but because hueypriest is a raging pedophile, like all Redditors.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

yeah scala has been around like 9-10

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

text editor posted:

don't make sulk leave he makes me feel better about myself

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

does anyone in here use cakephp or know anything about it

don't ask why i'm asking about it. just tell me how much less miserable it makes php on a scale from "still really miserable" to "5% more tolerable" but i'm assuming it's still really miserable and you'd be better off with drupal