Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

drupal is pretty bad too

yeah i mean i know nothing about drupal but i assumed it was at least better in the sense that it is extensively used while this cakephp poo poo has like 2 paragraphs about it on wikipedia and not many resources that i'm aware of.

CaptainMeatpants posted:

even CoC php goons admit cakephp is terrible

this is something i'm afraid of. i'm pretty desperately seeking any kind of entry level job i can get right now and i had a 40-minute interview today in response to a somewhat nutty ad that was posted on craigslist (clever in context, considering that CL is generally poo poo, but still silly overall), and i guess they use the framework for at least one of the things they do. the pay would probably be good, but i'm not sure what other people they have lined up to interview and what their attitude is going to be in regards to no-cs degree.

the interviewer was kind of implying i haven't done any actual programming (and saying that it would result in maybe doing an internship instead) while i was saying "go check out my github account, i literally have a django/jquery project on there that utilizes other stuff as well." she apparently didn't even really go over my resume which is highly unprofessional, and i now have like a week to learn this supposedly poo poo framework/enough php to get by that i can show them i'm capable of learning something quickly. but poo poo it's hard to even consider an internship as it's teetering on the point of not being worth it due to the commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

text editor posted:

Sounds like a sneaky way of trying to pay you less. I'd probably keep looking.

yeah I don't know. you should see the ad, I linked it in #cobol when I was talking to some people a couple nights ago and it basically had a bunch of poorly formatted (due to CL I imagine) PHP code and they had you write a something to figure out the email to submit a resume or whatever to. I did it in python (which was noted at the interview when I was sitting in front of three people) and sent it over and had a call literally five minutes later. the reason she had me come in though was the actual text of my email, which I started off by stating (this is a quote) "I'm not going to lie that I don't know a lick of PHP and think it's a complete abomination of a language ... (paraphrase) so I did it in Python." apparently insulting languages is funny to hirers.

it sucks because I really want to break into the field and I'm at least somewhat capable of actually coding, and the job was posted as an entry level position, and yet "I haven't programmed" even though I have a github with personal code on it right now that utilizes at least three different technologies as well as makes use of S3 storage in loading data, which I know tons of companies use and it and EC2 are becoming buzzwords these days. on the other hand, it's still PHP and not even drupal, so I don't know how far that can really take me, and like you said I'm partly concerned now that they would try to pay me less.

edit: that said I don't think the interview itself actually went poorly, since 40 minutes isn't too bad, especially for something entry level, and I think I conducted and presented myself pretty well

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

dont talk to it

don't talk to what

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

i'm amazed that yospos wunderkind have figured out how to handle sulk but still cant figure out the proper course of action with shaggar and tbc

The man, the myth, the legend, the Shaggar.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

homonad

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

:catstare:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Dr. Honked posted:

computer programming owns. i'm not sure how i would survive if i couldn't do it. chew twigs or something? i'll program anything in any language idgaf

would you even use Semicolon???

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

ugh thats so grosssss

shaggar was right

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

rotor posted:

sulk, in the future please refrain from posting in yospos, thank you for your prompt attention to the matter.

nope

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gogey posted:

Engineers at my school have the choice to take either Java or Matlab as their programming core, then take the other as a 1-credit self-paced class some time before they graduate. Watching the people that went matlab -> java was pretty funny not gonna lie

also the java prof taught some really stupid folder metaphor that I still don't understand but finally he's gone

also they're replacing java with python in the intro course :getin:

Python isn't a better option than Java for an intro course, so that's a bad decision on their part.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

shut the gently caress up sulk

Nope

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

perl seems pretty cool

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

so the camel book is basically the k&r for perl right?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

java is actually a p good language if you have to make a desktop "application". and it's kind of cool how java had the idea to make applications you could run on a lot of different platforms before web applications became a thing and you could do that for real

lol

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The advantage of Python over Java is that it’s less heavyweight, there isn’t a huge syntactic thicket of declarations and codicils and stuff that from a point of view of a Python programmer is extraneous junk that gets in the way of comprehension. There are languages that are much worse that way, see my rant about C++. Java is a bit too syntax-heavy and cluttered for optimum long-term maintainability. That is my opinion anyway.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Yes, I really like Python. I like it for a very specific reason. I like Python because of all the languages I have ever used, it is the one that maximizes ease of long term maintainability. That is, the ease with which you can read your code six months later. The longer I program, the more convinced I am that that is THE most important metric of a language, bar none… Most of the programming I do these days is in either Python or C.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

functions are for morons who want to spend the extra effort to make maintainable code without actually making maintainable code.

:suspense:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I still haven’t actually learned Java well enough to do more than a couple hundred lines of programming in it. I don’t dislike Java but I think it is a little over-verbose, it’s become kind of top heavy. So it’s not my first choice, but if I had to write something in Java I wouldn’t go ‘ICK’.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I am sort of gingerly dipping my toes into the waters of Go, Google’s new language… I’ll tell you one concurrency thing I am really pleased by. I have been wondering since about 1971 why nobody took the ball and ran with Hoare’s communicating sequential processes model. So elegant, so pretty, so nice to reason about and 40 years later the Go people picked it up and ran with it. That’s one reason I’m looking at Go. CSP is the basis of their concurrency model in that language which is enough to motivate me to want to look at it some more.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Rufo posted:

i realise u just copy pasted this and dont fuckin understand it but csp owns and tony hoare owns and it was done w/ occam 25 years ago h.t.h.

take a guess who said it

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Ridgely_Fan posted:

shaggar what is the best program ever written

Shutdown.exe

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ruby is a somewhat strange language. i don't know what to think of rails

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

all programming languages are terrible in their own special way. each one is a precious little turd.

once you learn and accept that then you will have no problems

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

posting on page 100

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

shaggar, what do you consider to be a real developer

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

wtf who uses sql anymore

"web "developers""

--shagger

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

in before "java owns --shagger" but based on the little bit of looking at them I've done, java's docs seem to be just so much loving better and more organized than pretty much everything else out there

the more you know

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Sniep posted:

no exp but i hear apple dev docs are p. well done

they actually are pretty nice to read, but the problem is that they're slow as gently caress to navigate in xcode (even with an ssd) and the actual organization could be better

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

java being the best is all-encompassing:
best language
best libs
best frameworks
best build tool
best ide
best docs

the new eclipse 4.2 seems nice. for some reason i can't get SWT to work right though based on the little tutorial thing built in, might be a 4.2 thing or it might be an OS X issue, not sure

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun

Apparently Odersky himself is teaching a course on Scala.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

homercles posted:

poor scala thread is just languishing :saddowns:

I just posted it in there since it's at least a point of interest. Apparently 12 more schools have joined on to teach courses for the site, now, and the Scala one was brought up in the email about it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

tef posted:

allman style

shaggar inc

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

return JEWS;

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

oh my god

this place is a cesspool

oh my god

yeah those projects are really bad. also i have the same problem with open source/github stuff. i can't find anything i give a poo poo about to even try and contribute, and even then i don't really know how to start. say there's a library someone wrote for a given language, or a framework extension or something. are you supposed to just read all the code and think of something to add to it? do you simply try to break it? i could also never really tell if the issues that get listed for a given repo are ones being worked on by anyone or if they're open to whomever can actually do it.

basically i'm an idiot and don't really know where a good place to start is because most github projects are stupid/too niche or simply too complicated

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Toady posted:

Don't hate JavaScript. It's our generation's Apple II.

Regards,
Dominic

:stonk:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i specifically said desktop, not mobile

let me tell you about a little thing called the mac app store

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

0xB16B00B5 posted:

Web optimization is handled by google they've optimized web performance so much that web code can run to great acclaim on the server, or even as part of your database

or you can just write everything in c

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

0xB16B00B5 posted:

write verything in C, and what? you're still poo poo out of luck and don't have anything functional. you still need your web framework, and then frontend coded, and pretty soon you need like a dozen people with various expertise in 2 dozen languages and programming paradigms.

or you just use node + express + enyo, and anyone on your small dedicated team can debug and fix any part of your app stack.

"Oh god, bob is the only one who knows his lovely C optimized beyond comprehension code, and he's on vacation, so we're poo poo out of luck for 2 weeks while angry customer bang down our door." you may lose slight performance versus C, but shipping maintainable code faster is way more important than a 5% speed hit.

nope, just write everything in c

if your programmers can't write c, then get programmers who can write c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

0xB16B00B5 posted:

sure, let's manually manage my memory, threading, write awful verbose code without monads, ignore every enhancement to langauges in the past 2 decades and still have 0 progress on my front end.

and in 30 years, literally no one except old people will understand how any of it actually works