Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

println("Hello, world")

should that not print in the playground?

it only prints out values of assignment iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

scala is ok if you just use it like ruby but with type safety

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

is operating system concepts a good book? supposedly it's pretty standard across the board in unis.

i'm probably never gonna be able to go back to school, or at least for a long time, so i'm just gonna try and pick up some of the stuff i'm poo poo at. it pisses me off i don't have a bachelors because penn has an embedded systems program that seems interesting but it's a masters and undergrad is an obvious req.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dont let that stop you, in technical fields some universities will let you take remedial courses or whatever to earn a bachelors and masters at the same time

i'm gonna guess you are talking about the ivy league "penn," though. somehow i doubt they cater to non-trad students

i dropped out in like late 2010/early 2011 after dragging along and not doing any work for a couple semesters or so (instead of just taking a break) cause i was kinda depressed with my life choices at that point so my gpa from back then is tanked. basically if i can just pretend none of that poo poo ever happened and start over i'd consider doing it, but i'd hate to get real deep into loan debt again and i'm not sure my employer will pay for any of it. and yeah i'm talking about upenn because it's 10 minutes from where i live. the program seems kinda cool but i'm sure they'll tell me to get hosed if i talk to one of the coordinators in person.

random side note, are there any special things you can do with intellij to not have it run like rear end, poo poo as simple as right clicks can be kinda slow and i'm wondering what the gently caress's going on. the heap size should be at 2 gigs if i configured it right so i can't imagine that's it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

use java 8 to run intellij itself

how do i do this

also i can't really move because i am getting married next year and we live in a house. however we will be potentially moving away for one year while she does her matching program so if an online course exists, that would be great. i know there's that georgia tech one that they started up but it also requires a bachelors. maybe i'll try talking to them though.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

AlsoD posted:

im the two people in the background chosen to be the representatives of what people in that company are like

I think they only have like six employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I'd rather use Rethink over Mongo though