Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ahhh spiders posted:

talk to them durin gthe interview. interview them

i'm not saying this is the only thing you do

it's not "hey you applied? ok go to this room and read the instructions there, we've provided a computer, don't say a word, when you're done leave and we'll call you back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Internaut! posted:

kid I know is a flash developer at a top media shop, google called him up and said we'd like to interview you, in the interview they asked him all kinds of questions about things like inodes and efficient pointer/bitshift operations

in short most tech interviewers are retarded and terrible

yeah whether or not my idea was good (spoilers: probs not) this is kinda my ultimate point

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this thread in one tab, about eight different wikipedia articles in others

man. algorithms and data structures and poo poo. gotta get a book. self-teach it. maybe one of those colleges that does the open free online course stuff will have an algos one?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ahhh spiders posted:

what exactly are you trying to do

learn actual computer science concepts i guess. i mean i don't really like the idea of "learn poo poo to pass an interview," i'd like to be a better coder too.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Werthog posted:

one just ended but i think the material's still up https://class.coursera.org/algo/class/index
e: and he's re-running it in a month or so

wow this coursera thing looks like a big education product but the design is unmodified twitter bootstrap, rofl

cmon yall even if you ain't a designer you gotta at least change the default font stack or tweak some colors or something

i've talked about this in irc before but i've never seen it used in an actual product this brazenly lol

anyways this looks really cool! thank you for the link.

Rufo posted:

wanting to take "a course on algos" makes me laff almost as much as when people refer to their CS programme's "maths module"

explain?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ahhh spiders posted:

are you trying to get a job in the industry because if they don't see a degree and you don't have experience it's probably not going to happen

i have a github and a few things that had/have a few thousand users, fwiw

i mean i'm getting a degree, hopefully, but like... i want an internship at least and poo poo. and if i could somehow get a job w/o finishing a degree (like a few people i know online) then i'd do that. either way i need to be able to do interviews.

i really like this because it has the exams and stuff, so maybe i could use it with a book or lectures or something. the lecture notes don't really seem like they give a complete picture.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ppp posted:

yeah, lets make it uglier - you

it literally takes the editing of one motherfucking file to change your site from "looks like every other bootstrap site in the world" to "something legitimately unique built on bootstrap"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ppp posted:

it doesnt make it any good though. you can change the font to comic sans and it'd be unique

twitter bootstrap looks generic as hell - half of that is because it's used in like half of all new web apps, and half is because it just looks very plain on purpose because it's supposed to be a base to customize

it's about establishing a ~brand identity~ or whatever. i mean the coursera landing page looks pretty great, they just need to get their app's look up to speed

hm.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

yeah it's becoming pretty clear he should be in graphic design instead

front-end engineering, dude

MononcQc posted:

SICP is actually neat to teach a bunch of algorithms, if you do the exercises.

ooh, right. tef was telling me about this but i never got around to it. i should just work through that next week or something

except i'm supposed to be getting a summer job. can't wait to work retail again :smithicide:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ahhh spiders posted:

are you qualified to do anything more than work retail

i'm not sure

i've made some userscripts and extensions and started on a few incomplete web applications. most recent project is a little grunt-based template & build system for ember applications. done a few tiny open source contributions.

i feel like i'm qualified to do web development. but i don't know if an employer would think i was qualified to work. so idk.

Rufo posted:

what do you know about trees and graphs n poo poo? can u read a statement or proof written in propositional logic? how about using predicate logic to describe different properties of different types of graphs, e.g. acyclicity

none of this; the highest math i've taken is calc I.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Werthog posted:

you're in school, you don't need experience to do an internship. that's the whole point of internships, to teach you the poo poo you actually need to know in order to work a real job

idk internships still have like interviews and poo poo and i assume they want you to have an actual CS background

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MononcQc posted:

School teaches you what you need for an internship.

if this was the case i wouldn't be here asking for materials to learn proper CS

i go a terrible school that doesn't have a CS degree, and while i'm planning to transfer (god loving willing), in the interim i'm stuck spinning wheels

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

cool this thread still exists for complaining about programming poo poo i guess

i'm working on a dumb server thing for a game, and i'm using someone else's api library for it, and i'm weirded out because they used loving "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike" for it

who the gently caress does that for code? and apparently since i'm "building upon" it, i also have to license my thing under CC-AN-NC-SA-gently caress-YOU? ugh

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

rotor posted:

keep using it until such time as you're actually making money off it then swap it out for something legal

being able to make money off it isn't the issue; it's just the principle of the thing

i just don't wanna use CC-NA-FARTS instead of the MIT license I always use :s

e: wow i need to not post before 7am
("i need to not post," etc)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 17, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh boy oh boy let's talk about text editors!!!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i use the hell out of ST2 and i should probably switch it over to vintage mode

i don't really know how to chain vim commands together, but i know enough memorized shortcuts i can do stuff like usual, if occasionally slower

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it is completely stupefying to me when supposed computing professionals use shitware editors like sublime text. hrm yes let me pay money for a totally inferior product

i've been running the trial version for a little over a year now :shepface:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sweeper posted:

can someone explain to me why javascript is the base language of the web, how did this happen and why didn't someone write something more like a bytecode for the web instead tia

because the web was basically never intended to do anything more complicated than show you a page of information and links to other pages with information on them and everything that we do now is based on layers of hacks

also see: computing in general

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

zero to app in like 5 hours

(thx for the api elgruntox)

poo poo is easy. the hardest part was configuring xcode to use an external library, which was a p huge pain.

i mean i won't pretend i like "know" objective-c now, but it wasn't like it was really difficult to get the hang of. still kinda figuring out some parts of the syntax and the whole delegates thing which seems to be kinda key, but its fun

now i just need $100 to run the app on my phone :s

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

vapid cutlery posted:

Change the ui. You used MVC right

if by mvc you mean "shoved everything into viewcontroller.m" sure

i don't really know any sort of architectural poo poo for this; i just designed my interface w the builder and did the connect to outlet thing and put some extra UI code in viewcontroller.m to better style it (what you can't make fuckin rounded corners in interface builder??? weird apple!!)

i dunno i mean i have like a single extra class for each entry that restkit binds the API data to is that "MVC" enough for you

Cold on a Cob posted:

pls publish goonsay that poo poo cheers me up when I feel like I wasted my life

keeps things in perspective ya know

i dont think apple would allow it there's some real horrible quotes in this :stonk:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

salted hash browns posted:

post it on github
already there

https://github.com/thomasboyt/goonsay-ios

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sweeper posted:

interesting things are hard to come up with because most of programming is boring as hell

this

also did you miss the part where i had never touched objective-c before (or c, or c++, for that matter), or xcode, or any sort of mobile development?

this was my hello world

now if you have other great suggestions for sick appz feel free to post them but i'll probably just do a to-do app to learn more complex/dynamic interfaces and coredata

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

read a book

i dont know what a good zero to java book is but please read a book

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ios dev, day 2:

added a continuous pagination feature. you can swipe horizontally between goonsay entries and it loads a new one if you swipe past the last loaded one. it owns

i wish i had $100 :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

whoa i really want that as my av now, that script rules

RUSH COMIN AT YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Toady posted:

the new album rocks socks

i know it's loving crazy

my only issue is that most of the songs could be one to two minutes shorter and lose nothing (especially headlong flight), but hey, prog rock

vapid cutlery posted:

probably elgruntox im guessing

yeah it was grunty's

got in some very bitter arguments about django templates and views over that one

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

php has official external libraries? gently caress i thought they just crammed everything in the standard lib with no rhyme or reason to the naming scheme

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah pretty much if you're an unemployed person who can program your only excuse is that you're living in the wrong place

i need to learn how to program good

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

thinking about coding something in Go because i haven't coded anything in like a month and don't have any original ideas so i might as well try a new language or something

someone give me a better idea so that i don't go through w this tia

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

alternatively, hire me yospos!!! here is my updated resume

MOBILE DEVELOPMENT:
- this one time i started on an ios app and it sort of works but man infinite pagination is really tricky and i started on a library for it but ow my head
- um i made a minor bugfix to awful.apk that wasn't even accepted as a pull request b/c i think geekner figured it out on his own

WEB DEVELOPMENT:
- let me tell you about my serious of failed ember.js projects,
- some django stuff, a while ago.
- i'm pretty good at a javascript, there's definitely no abundance of JS programmers or anything, im one of a kind imo

OTHER:
- i wrote a video game irc bot equivalent in python and it worked but the game tanked hard so :smith:
- a history of crippling depression and self-doubt that is sure to lead to excellent projects that certainly won't be abandoned halfway through
- self motivated in incredibly short bursts before returning to cheetos, video games, writing big OPs for bad threads

Jonny 290 posted:

where the eff have you been

i stopped yosposting outside of phone threads because seeing anything besides abject failure made me jealous

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 10, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gucci void main posted:

no joke, it's a sad but true sorta thing. shaggar was right, etc.

so it seems

god i don't want to end up hacking on enterprise software though :smith:

my friend's family is opening a hookah bar soon, im hoping to convince them to let me make their website

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

man i need to be coding something because if i dont code things i will never learn to code things better

i know rotor said i should "learn basic theory" and the other recommendation is "learn a c# or java" but i only learn by doing and i need to do something :ohdear:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

irc bots are boring and done

i made basically a video game version of an irc bot: https://github.com/thomasboyt/shootmania-server-script

and that was fun but no one plays the game so i canceled my server :smith:

i need a problem to solve

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i wish i had the drive to just write code for no reason like some people

i have to really want to make something, i guess. like i learned js when i wanted to make a chrome app and i learned python when i wanted to make a quick web site with django

i got all into emberjs when i wanted to make a sweet modal note-taking app that was like vim crossed with outlining but i never got emberjs to work right and it sapped all of my energy :smith:

maybe i should go back and try to make it with backbone or somethin

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

EVGA Longoria posted:

don't use javascript for poo poo like that

well it was a web app, idk

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Milkie Galore posted:

no. stop it. stop it stop it stop it. :sotw: stop loving doing this you loving idiot

constructive

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yaoi prophet posted:

i too am vaguely working on a sci-fi roguelike except i'm doing it in haskell because i hate myself

i'm going to use the BoI concept of unlocking things because i think that makes the constant stream of deaths due to bullshit/lack of player skill more tolerable

how do you guys make games? like do you actually have a vision of a fun idea or are you just trying to clone something

ive always thought "man making a game would rule" but the only ideas i ever have are far out of my actual reach

re: roguelikes; ive never really enjoyed a roguelike except ones barely related to the genre like FTL

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 19, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

actually did something today, tho its teeny: https://github.com/thomasboyt/SMSBot

but hey it's a start, just needed to put code on editor

dry erase boards own btw

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Wheany posted:

ordering this too, this might actually be useful for a project i've been thinking about.

dumbest question, but what kind of projects could this be used for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ive been working on a really complicated irc bot that sends you text messages if you get highlighted in irc and even lets you send a reply to the person who highlighted you

it uses a lotta neat poo poo
- skybot as the base (python irc bot)
- twilio to send and receive sms messages
- flask as the sms receiving endpoint
- sqlite (and eventually postgres) to store the user info
- redis to send messages from the flask app to the irc bot

it's been really fun and python owns :3:

(although i have nowhere to host the bot :smith:)

i wish i had put this much effort into something that was actually a good idea