Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

OBAMA BIN LAUGHIN posted:

python is a really cool language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
also I love python but this thread is just gonna turn into a slugfest with tbc and shagger making GBS threads everywhere, itll get all over the walls and it will be hell to clean you you will just have to move out and have the whole house demolished never have a party like that again

anyway close the thread

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Hammerite posted:

any language where you cant write anonymous functions is trash. javascript is the best language

nice troll post

but seriously lambdas own. I do kind of wish python could also do anonymous classes, that's one thing that java can do that is kind of nice. That said its way more necessary in java. But still.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

BonzoESC posted:

wait are classes in python not just objects?
code:
      f = Class.new(::BlankSlate)
      f.reveal :instance_variable_set
      unless f.instance_methods.include? :class
        f.reveal :class
      end
      f.new

classes are first class objects of type 'type' (I think). But afaik there isn't a class class so you can't do that. Also what language is that.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Ronald Raiden posted:

classes ... class ... class class

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

newreply.php posted:

i dont get python and ruby folks

i mean if its web stuff just use java?

if its local stuff that has to go fast use c, or maybe c++?

it boggles teh mind

why would you use java though, its way worse than python (or ruby, from my limited experience). THey are more powerful and easier to use.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Hammerite posted:

im sure lisp was all very well in the past but in the modern world we can have the best of both worlds. first-class functions and clean, logical syntax (c syntax). javascript is the answer, its what you always wanted from lisp but knew it was lacking, embrace it.

javascript isn't really c syntax

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

newreply.php posted:

bc everything imaginable has been done in it and you just get to google some stuff, slack off for the rest of the day, and get paid? ppl put way too much effort into the type of programming that doesnt even pay that well

right because nobody has made anything in python or ruby oh wait no there's tons of poo poo in python. and probably ruby I guess. And each of them have a package manager that comes with them too so its easy to add libs. I went back to java for a thing recently and was surprised by how much extra work I had to do, I was too used to python where poo poo is way easier.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Rufo posted:

rip sourceforge

lol yea I had to download a lib from there today and I was like oh yea I totally forgot this existed, why is anyone still using this and not github anyway.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Dr. Honked posted:

When I went to university, we were not allowed to learn c because it was not yet officially recognized as a computer language by the British computer society. C++ was invented about a year later I think. We were taught pascal. I've never ever used pascal for real or ever seen it outside of academia. I'm sure I've told this story before so thanks for reading. Cheers. Also I am typing this on a blackberry PlayBook and it's very baf

whoa you are hella old. congrats on not being dead yet.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
anal volcano you should learn some languages that aren't javascript

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Anal Tributary posted:

idk i'm trying to pick and choose my time

i've had school taking up time. i have to get some sort of job this summer; it's gonna be some retail thing, i've got actual projects i want to do (things in javascript, because that's what i know). so that leaves like not a lot of pure learning time

i'd like to learn c, or maybe lisp, but i don't have anything i'm working on that would really benefit from another language, or any projects i want to start that could use another language.

and plus there's so much more poo poo i have to learn besides just languages. i want to learn redis (not that there's much to learn), mongodb, oh, also how to better-use actual SQL dbs, some basic devops stuff (migrations, deploys, etc). i'd like to learn how to do concurrent programming, wanna play around with functional languages, etc., etc.

oh and i also really need to learn mobile web development. maybe even like iphone app development.

so i have to pick and choose. right now i'm doing emberjs stuff because it's an undeveloped ecosystem where i have a chance to really contribute, i'm pretty good at javascript, and a project i'm working on needed a js mvc framework and i found emberjs easier to get started with than backbonejs.

cool i really like how not only did i mention that libraries exist to mitigate callback hell/spaghetti code, i also namedropped a specific one, and yet you still used this as a point :)

learn c. Seriously. Then make something with it. You probably won't use it ever again, but it will be good for you. Builds character.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Inverse Icarus posted:

fun fact: some internships have relocation money, and half of yospos is in the bay area

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

the demand for halfway decent devs is so strong out here now that fresh grads are regularly making 100k+ and recruiters are basically going nuts trying to place any talent

what excuse can you possibly come up with

my excuse for not moving there yet is I am graduating this year and since I have a fulltime dev job for the university I can stay here and get a masters for $0.00 (actually I have to pay fees but no tuition).

I'm not sure if im actually going to stick around here long enough for that or not though.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
my excuse is better than anal volcano's :smaug:

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

rotor posted:

my feeling on math & programming is that if you didn't find at least of of:

* linear algebra
* number theory
* calculus
* discrete math

interesting then you should probably look into a career as a plumber or an electrician or something, because those careers more closely resemble the kind of programming you'll end up doing if you don't like math.

all of those are pretty cool things also so is algorithms

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

graph posted:

A Big Fart

before that I was coaxmetal

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I don't really have anything on my github and its not really an issue right now but I think for down the line it would be cool to have some stuff or contribute to a thing, the problem is yea, I suck at doing projects that aren't for work or school.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

dazjw posted:

at uni i used to fix bugs in OSS stuff for practise by the simple expedient of
a) use OSS product
b) encounter horrible bug
c) fix it

note that step b may take several seconds so be patient gl

I actualyl encountered a bug in an oss produt I am using now... but its hosted on sourceforge????

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

BonzoESC posted:

if they use a bloom filter you can disqualify them on account of then you know they read hacker news

I know how to sue a bloom filter but I woudln't have thought to use it unless I was in a do fancy poo poo mindset already. If i was just given that task in real life i'd just use a loop + dictionary probably.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Shaggar posted:

i dont like that maps are called dictionaries in c#

u can also call them associative arrays if you want. BUt no languages do that.

The fact that they are a basic data type that you don't need to do anything fancy to use in python is super convenient.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Tiny Bug Child posted:

the best one does

php "arrays" aren't even proper dictionaries. iirc you can only use like strings or ints as keys or something gay like that, I forget.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

tef posted:

fizzbuzzin'

code:
>>> from collections import Counter
>>> Counter("lol butts")
Counter({'l': 2, 't': 2, ' ': 1, 'b': 1, 'o': 1, 's': 1, 'u': 1})
>>> 

I often forget about a bunch of the cool stuff python has in its standard libs. COllections has some other cool stuff too, like groupby

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

ppp posted:

if people ask for my github ill just show them my last.fm

I got hired for my first student cj job partially because I mentioned that I liked Jethro Tull.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Janin posted:

a map is implemented using trees (typically binary)

a dictionary is implemented using hash tables

both a map and a dictionary are associative containers.

there is no such thing as an "associative array".

Wikipedia says all of them are the same thing owned

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Carthag posted:

NSString *bah = @"figvdfivdafvdafv fd gvdair fgeifv sivfs fuwf FUAS ";
NSMutableDictionary *counts = [NSMutableDictionary dictionary];

[bah enumerateSubstringsInRange:NSMakeRange(0, [bah length]) options:NSStringEnumerationByComposedCharacterSequences usingBlock:^(NSString *substring, NSRange substringRange, NSRange enclosingRange, BOOL *stop) {
NSUInteger val = ([counts objectForKey:substring] != nil ? [[counts objectForKey:substring] intValue] : 0) + 1;
[counts setObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:val] forKey:substring];
}];

NSLog(@"counts: %@", counts);

hahaha

I was gonna try to do it in prolog for shits and giggles but then I decided I didn't really want to remember how to do prolog.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
yea I don't know C++ very well but if a language has lovely syntax thats a pretty good reason not to like it, just in general.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
like php, it has confusing and inconsistent syntax

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

nightwheat stalker posted:

u got teh joek

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
so is

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

CaptainMeatpants posted:

i didnt actually think all yall would try to solve that thing over and over

lets do another one

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
i want to use c# but I haven't had a reason to use/learn it.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

tef posted:

oh come on, in python, unfinished crud is only 50% of the std lib

I usually forget the std lib is even there anyway.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

JawnV6 posted:

let sall listen to sulk

:cawg:

also, reminder that Anal Volcano still needs to learn some languages that aren't javascript, also that just because you can make lovely 10 year old desktop applications in your browser doesn't mean you should.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

passionate dongs posted:

sorry you idiots didn't enjoy your higher education

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
seriously, im gradiating with a BS in CS in a week or 2. Sure, some of the classes were bunk, and most of the other students were terrible people, but I deffo learned a bunch and a lot of the classes were interesting.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

MononcQc posted:

Report back on how much of it you actually use/need at work tyvm

well i've been working fulltime for the university as a dev for almost a year, and tbh that't hasn't exactly called for much of the algorithm or math knowledge I learned. It's an entry level job though and also I don't pay tuition.

I'm probably going to stay here and get a masters while it's free, mostly because I want to, also maybe that would be useful in getting a more interesting job down the line.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I can totally make a thing that stores a webform in a database and then displays the data elsewhere though.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
he could just be a dumb guy what never got a degree though. Although anyone who gets 2 bachelor's is pretty dumb, why would you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
im going to write something called espressoscript where its just javascript but I hosed around with the syntax a bit.