Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

a language that tries to retain all the lispiness it can while being actually useful for making things, and not just stroking off about macros, sounds really cool

It depends on your definition of Lispiness. Clojure tried this and the Lisp weenies refuse to use it because it doesn't implement cons cells, the literal function names car/cdr and it uses reader macros for useful datatstructures instead of reimplementing garbage a-lists and whatever the hell else who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

be fair to the lisp weenies

clojure is 0% compatible with common lisp, so it can't use any pre-existing libraries, and is also not faster than common lisp, and also does not have better tooling than common lisp

why would anyone who already uses lisp want to adopt clojure? java inter-op?
I can think of 2 reasons:
More jobs because the JVM is a safe bet.

Rich Hickey is reasonably opinionated about how to build business apps. You could write Clojure in CL but you'd be the only shop doing it.

The tooling sucks, apparently it's a direct tradeoff between compiling to Java and supporting good things like conditional restarts and a proper debugger.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Xarn posted:

which I ascribe to working in domain that taxes me intellectually, so I don't need to look for intellectual stimulation in the language I write with (not that C++ is not taxing :v:).

AMA about working in fintech, the most tedious of techs

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
all code is equally trash, some is more equal than others

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Inline REPL evaluation in the IDE is cool and good. Specifically being able to evaluate the exact expression at the point of your text cursor with a hotkey is like TDD without the tedium

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Xml is s-expressions Enterprise Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Athas posted:

I'm surprised C++ people are that loyal to C++ itself. I can sort of see it happen for something like Lisp or Prolog or Haskell or similar highly opinionated or puritanical languages, but C++ always seemed intended as a pragmatic craftsman's tool for some times and places. Leaving aside my snarky C++ dislike for just this sentence, I can accept that C++ is sometimes a good and practical choice, but does anyone really love the language and want to make C++ specifically better, rather than just having access to zero-cost abstractions, metaprogramming, or similar notable C++ features for their programming?

I guess I can understand this behaviour if your job is to make C++ tools. (Because of the trauma this surely afflicts on your soul.)

C++ dweebs suck