Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
snoipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

🍋

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

I know you guys love json so... what are your thoughts on this?

it seems silly.

isn't this just protobufs/capnproto?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Rahu posted:

I am considering learning Haskell, is this a good idea?

yep

well, don't if you only want to learn something you'll actually use

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

AlsoD posted:

although personally i'm toying with rust since it seems to have most of the upsides of haskell with different downsides

what are the rust downsides?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

interpreted languages are also generally better than compiled languages except for extremely specialized purposes

just want to point out that this is tbc and not, in fact, tef

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

can't wait for the brilliant discussion that's about to go down

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

today my rails application exploded because a dude deleted a ten line method from application_helper.rb

after two hours i don't know what those ten lines are actually for

well, put the lines back then!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

The only serious languages worth using are those which have their own compiler written in them. That's the litmus test. If they don't have that, there's no complex program written in it.

What does this prove? Isn't a compiler mostly just a parser(which some serious languages may not be so good at)? What about Java/Erlang??

legitimately asking, I'm a terrible programmer.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

AlsoD posted:

code:
fib (n) = flip evalState (0,1) $ do
{
    forM [0..(n-1)] $ \i -> do
    {
        (a,b) <- get
        put (b,a+b)
    }
    (a,b) <- get
    return a
}

:eyepop:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK then, I'll bite. My understanding is that a Monad is a loophole in the Haskell type system rules that works around the complete inability for Haskell to do anything useful by allowing it to perform a side effect. Is that correct?

this is one of the ways that monads are used, yes.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

if you dont understand the burrito metaphor im afraid there's no hope

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

redleader posted:

eric lippert's monad series is a pretty readable introduction to monads in a more familiar language. between this and the last six pages of monad chat, i think i'm finally starting to grasp the concept.

not that knowing that a monad is a monoid in etc etc is of any real use to me, since all the useful monads come bundled up with some pleasant syntax in c#

a 13-part series to 'understanding' monads

l

o

l

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

I love how tbc's vision of the high tech future ahead of us is having php all the way down

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

what is the point of join at all if it's just bind id?

e: this probably belongs in the safezone :shobon:

my homie dhall fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 8, 2014

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Really wish I had an excuse to do haskell

same, op

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

monads is context with values inside

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

ahmeni posted:

php is like a backpack
whenever you see an adult using one its a bit weird because its normally meant for children

heh

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

:eyepop:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

there is a distinction worth making between type systems and other forms of static analysis. a type system is generally sound but incomplete: you may not be able to express what you want directly in the type system, but whatever you can express will be enforced without fail. in theory, a good static analysis should be both sound and complete, but due to rice's theorem you can't do anything non-trivial this way. in reality, commercial static analysis tools trade soundness for additional completeness: they'll find many types of errors, but there's no guarantee that for any type, every such error will be caught. this is mainly because being more sound involves generating a lot more false positives, which are annoying enough to the user that he may give up on the tool entirely. if the tool finds 1 of 2 errors in the code, well then that's 1 fewer error than you had before, and you don't know about the other one, so you're not gonna blame the tool. on the other hand, if the tool finds both errors but generates 100 false positives, the tool user must check all these false positives manually, and he's liable to just say "gently caress this"

Ty for this good post, Jew Killer 3000

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

semi-serious q: what does having a static type system 'cost' you?? like I seriously don't get why you would prefer the alternatives

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

GrumpyDoctor posted:

welcome to day one of your introductory programming class. let's write a simple program to write "hello, world" to the screen. now, the first thing you need to know is that a monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors...

yeah definitely, apologies in advance for those without a strong background in category theory, the following look a little complex to you

main = putStrLn "hello, world"

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

i guess instead of having a NULL that's built into the language they created an Option<> type that isn't. About as good an idea as a non-built-in String type imo (i.e. not a good idea).

Optional typing is much better than NULL, hth

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

fritz posted:

what the gently caress

quote:

godebug rewrites your source code and injects function calls like godebug.Line on every line, godebug.Declare at every variable declaration, and godebug.SetTrace for breakpoints (i.e. wherever you type _ = "breakpoint").

I find this solution brilliant.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

tef posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Golang? This is John Golang speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of exceptions and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge -I am the man who will now tell you.”

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

The new Elm update is out, and it looks like it's moving the language away from FRP.

they totally removed signals. I haven't looked to see what the heck they replaced them with or their reasoning, but this seems like such a drastic move

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

hackbunny posted:

comp sci should not be carpentry school, it's supposed to be saw design school

imo it should be a study of 'what kind of things can we build using saws?'

but this analogy sucks!!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

elixir is the current hipste language

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

is there any legitimate reason why they refuse to consider adding generics other than it'd be :effort:?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

it was that or oxidizing octopodes

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

I have been using elixir and elm together and it has been pretty nice for my dumb side project

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

if you think phoenix is similar to rails or that elixir is similar to ruby I'm pretty sure you've missed the point.

ruby isn't terrible because of its syntax, it's terrible because it allows you (and everyone you work with) to do insane things to your code, is slow, concurrency sucks, etc

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

jony neuemonic posted:

eh, i could live with optional parens in perl, i can live with them in elixir.

(i know, i know, no-worse-than-perl is such a high bar).

pretty sure optional parens are being deprecated for functions with no arguments which is nice though

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'm sure you already know what green threads are

now imagine you're in a functional language (actually functional, not swift) where you allocate poo poo tons of small objects, and that includes poo poo tons of "threads"

now imagine that language had prolog-like syntax :getin:

e: although, I think the point he's making is that green threads are not the same as cooperative threads, which must explicitly yield

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

my favorite regex syntax is the equivalent dfa diagram :twisted:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

if he was just sharing info he wouldn't be such a huge rear end about it.

no jokes allowed on the internet

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

UCS-2 and UCS-4/UTF-32 aren't fixed width either

uhhhh, I thought the whole point of UTF-32 was that it was fixed-width

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

he’ll yeah queuechat

Blinkz0rz posted:

we've had this conversation before and you're not wrong but backpressure is real and not something you can always throw more api servers at

what do you mean? backpressure is reducing the rate of production on the producer side and if you have it, you shouldn’t need a queue, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you’re hosed