Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

homercles posted:

in perl you can configure the base index to be any positive number

perl superiority

excusee mee pleasee usee aa reall programmingg languagee likee rexx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

are you seriously going to post every single little hiccup of working at a large organization as if it's the Worst Thing?

ugh, i had to book an internal shuttle flight and the website took a lil while to load i mean, this is just soooooooo terrible

was the site javascript i found the problem :siren:

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Hey guys could I please have your opinions on matlab language ide of the future

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

ppp posted:

also installed fbsd on a vm and tried to compile the new xorg and the vbox driver but the vbox driver was (is) marked broken b.c of a bad plist. which is just internal bookkeeping stuff so im considering just forcing it through.

may i interest you in a mac?

OSX just works

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

ppp posted:

it just works. but i have no clue how *le random flash 0day exploit, steals my le ramz* - failcat

But have you ever wanted to edit movies and make music get rid of that micro$oft songsmith and micro$oft movie maker and move onto Macs they make it SIMPLE

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Internaut! posted:

/

ban for anime

i didnt do this to myself!!

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

tef posted:

I lie, all that has happened is that the cutting edge 20 years ago is now mainstream. Thanks smalltalk :3:

mac stole from alto, objective C stole from smalltalk Steve Jobs CONSPIRACY

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Guys the forums coder uses Mercurial and not Git lol what idiot :gitlife:

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Engineers at my school have the choice to take either Java or Matlab as their programming core, then take the other as a 1-credit self-paced class some time before they graduate. Watching the people that went matlab -> java was pretty funny not gonna lie

also the java prof taught some really stupid folder metaphor that I still don't understand but finally he's gone

also they're replacing java with python in the intro course :getin:

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Sulk posted:

Python isn't a better option than Java for an intro course, so that's a bad decision on their part.

It's a required course for all engineers and Python syntax is easier so :shobon:

Anyone that needs to continue in programming will use Java in the next class anyway (Then Ocaml, then whatever is needed for the class you're in)

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Char posted:

they spend all day teaching people how to tell when a quick sort is more efficient than a merge sort but not how to refactor or why 'int a = ProcessStuff();' is bad code

then a bunch of cs grads go out and reuse temporary variables all over the place to ~save bytes~ and the result is an unreadable loving mess it's impossible to work with

If I have to say one nice thing about the old professor, it's that he would make you redo your project if you didn't use reasonably clear variable names and nice style :shobon:

It's like, barebones intro CS course for the sake of Engineering Distributions, not some core course for the major. It could be taught in any language so gently caress java who uses {} anymore its time for WHITESPACE

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Internaut! posted:

:stare:

isn't the point of engineer school to learn practical skills

It's our functional programming & data structures class. I know nothing about OCaml, but I know it's the class that makes a bunch of people drop the major :v:

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Internaut! posted:

is your class offered within the context of a science degree, or an engineering degree

The only difference between our Arts CS Degree and Eng. CS is the core. Eng has to take multivariable and physics (+ some intro engineering/stats stuff), Arts has those as whatever credits. So the B.A. CS students take that class too.

edit: oh yeah this is just CS in eng school, there's electrical and computer engineering as a different major.

Werthog posted:

sounds like the same whiny bitches who asked "why are we using this scheme/ml/prolog poo poo when we already know c++???" in my programming language concepts class

It gets dropped because it's known to be one of the hardest classes in the major (along with the Operating Systems practicum), not because "a bloo bloo language."

Anyway, the K&R C textbook is amazing. Any others like this (preferably php because its the best (better than lua))?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Werthog posted:

how the gently caress is CS an "art"

http://utf-8.jp/public/aaencode.html

school of arts & sciences gives out bachelors of arts (they give out both for CS at brown too)

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Really cause I heard the bad thing about working in the financial sector as CS is horrible hours, constant strict deadlines and pressure, and the knowledge that if you gently caress up, you gently caress up a lot of things hard?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

yeah I heard it was just worse in finance but I guess not necessarily so?

edit: also tell me how horrible cobol is all i know is basic!!!

gangnam reference fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 24, 2012

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

unleash the unicorn posted:

and the best part is that nobody is going to use your "application" because they'll all be like "JVM required? Aww hell nah, not another slow buggy piece of Java poo poo!"

Uninstalling Java and never bothering with Java programs was one of the best computing decicions I ever made. Let's not even start with the "Java needs an update" nightmare.

yo good poo poo *hi-5* do you boycott microsoft too cause its a really cool thing to do and i think we should be friends

wait are you whining about occasional program updates
really?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

rotor posted:

you don't really notice java apps anymore because the deployment has gotten easier and native l&f is good for the bulk of the widget and thank GOD people stopped loving naming their loving apps jWhatever

yeah this

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

unleash the unicorn posted:

Also lol because that really does seem to be the only one considering that's what both of you jumped to immediately.

that's cause I don't think "hmm, is this java this ebtter not be java" when i start a program so I don't associate things with it. I can't think of many things i use that are java applications but that doesn't necessarily mean it's horrible like you think it is!!

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

standardtoaster posted:

May 22, 2009

I'm learning to code and the book I'm read said this:

quote:

BOOK ON CODING posted:
The computational processes inside the computer are like magical spirits that we can harness for our work. Unfortunately, those spirits only understand a very arcane language that we do not know. What we need is a friendly Genie that can direct the spirits to fulfill our wishes.

Is this accurate?

:effort:

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Rufo posted:

calculus is terrible but you need to earn the right to say so

without calculus you wouldn't even be able to post right now

makes u think

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Shaggar posted:

java owns

i was doin java today and i was like "man shaggar would be happy"

then 5 minutes later i was like "i wanna do the snake"

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

gently caress vim go emacs

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

someone just mad they cant send mail while codin

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

phpstorm is pretty cool too

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

you're a php programmer, the less programming you do the better the world is for the rest of us

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Werthog posted:

visual studio

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

pro tip: don't use php

(i helped debug this once)

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

EVGA Longoria posted:

god i know you're all gimmick posting but it makes me so loving mad

use the right tool for the right job

if you're writing a functional backend, cobol
if you're writing a web CRUD use php
if you're writing a little function on a website, use lua

if you're trying to write a server in javascript or a webpage in c, kill yourself

yea sounds good

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

detroit posted:

trying to make a website should i learn python or erlang?

yeah id say php is pretty great for that maybe some lua on the side if you need a backend id say javascript maybe cakescript

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

lol look at all you hating on the loving jpl, go inhale some cheetos nerds

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

its ok i know more about space programming and everything they've experienced in the past trust me i got this "Fuckin jpl nerds dont do it that way"

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

serious question: why do NASA and defense contractors love these CPUs so much?

i seem to recall the F-22 and F-35 using powerpc CPUs as well.

they know about the megahertz myth

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Say it ain't so jonny

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

regexes
Java,
no, dont

\\\\

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

At Game Closure, we are building a state-of-the-art SDK to help developers make games in pure Javascript

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

rotor posted:

oh that's right! also the sneaking mission posts, although he goes by a new name now, i cant remember off the top of my head what it is though
Shaggar

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

No, this is what is actually true. Or rather, it is the theory that most accurately fits the facts. Pick any boost library. For example... *picks at random* the boost uuid library. It defines a struct that contains a 16-byte char array and has a few functions for creating UUIDs. It somehow uses or includes something that uses MPL.

Let's pick another ... *picks at random* the boost spirit library, probably the archetypal example. We implemented a bunch of spirit parsers and it's clearly overengineered garbage. Infinitely slow to compile, not fast or optimizable to run. It's always simpler, more debuggable, and more editable by coworkers, to pound out your own recursive descent parser, or to use some other method of building a parser.

Let's pick another ... *picks something "safe"* scoped_ptr. It has an implicit conversion operator. (And of course that's implemented by putting the line

code:
#include <boost/smart_ptr/detail/operator_bool.hpp>
in the middle of the class.)

Let's pick... shared_ptr: it is all mixed up with weak_ptr, to make it easier to make your code unnecessarily complicated.

Let's pick... boost serialization. "Oh, you want to serialize stuff? Sorry, you're using some slow library that wants to keep track of pointer graphs [and iirc, uses RTTI]."

The best example of making poo poo complicated for complete vanity is this binary conversion utility. It has a billion preprocessor expansions when you can just use a hexadecimal or octal constant, or convert at run time, or glue different field width sections together with a macro, or run an octal constant through some bitshifting...

code:
#define OCTAL_BINARY(x) (((((((((x) * 21ULL) & 0x9c0e070381c0e070ULL) * 0x1041) \
    & 0xff80001ff0000ULL) * 0x40001) >> 34) & 0x3ffff) | ((((x) * 1ULL) >> 42) \
    & (1 << 21)) | ((((x) * 21ULL) >> 40) & (7 << 18)))
It's very easy to create a "rationale" for any feature: you need it to do X. The argument against making things complicated is less tangible -- it is a sense learned by experience and not derivable through software philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

*picks sniep at random*