Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i'm Hype for the hobbit (the second trailer was Neato)

i am excite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
wow was there just a competition where two gay fucks pissed up a stick because boy howdy

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

there was a competition where two gay fucks pissed up a stick

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
lol @ thing doers

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

rotor posted:

my advice would be to renounce all material things and become a monk.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
keep your fork

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
also annoying garbage collection

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the roo ruby gem is loving great for getting data from spreadsheets. very noice. for this reason i use ruby a lot for converting the data that designers give me from spreadsheets to machine readable efficient game data. ruby is also very good at spewing out binary to arbitrary bit lengths etc so this is a job that it really owns at

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
coblol

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i've been programming in c++ for the longest time and i couldn't even tell you what it's all about

c++ is a bag of gently caress

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
lol

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the memory fairy kicks you in the balls really hard when you make games that are not for desktop computers

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Maximo Roboto posted:

What about on Dalvik? :tipshat:

i have no idea and can't be arsed to look it up

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Hammerite posted:

lmao if you spend your day puzzling out how you can make your codes fit in 10 bits of rams instead of 12 or whatever the gently caress

drop a tab of acid as well and that pretty much sums up nintendo ds development

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
gaaahhhhh http://badassjs.com/post/32812527381/doppio-a-java-virtual-machine-compiler-and

shameful

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
if it looks like a gently caress, and it quacks like a gently caress, then it is a gently caress

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i was talking to a guy yesterday who has had exposure to the haxe community. the people who make the haxe compiler decided not to bootstrap it, but to write it in ocaml. their stated reason for doing so is to prevent peasants from tinkering with their compiler. they specifically chose ocaml because it's a barrier to entry which prevents people contributing to their project.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it makes me chortle that the haxe compiler people think that people who actually use their compiler are horrible plebs (which they might well be of course)

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

rotor posted:

keeping in mind that the haxe people were also the mtasc people, which meant that most of their users were refugee flash devs and things sort of start to fit together

it's starting to make sense now

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
if you don't know what concurrency etc. is good for, i don't really know what to say to you in words that you would understand, because you are clearly a homosexual retarded baby clown who was born in the circus

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
thousands of posts later, this thread is still poo poo. ban everyone. close yospos. salt the earf

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
ratbert90 vs tiny bug child. nobody wins

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
tef your blog is gr8

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

MeruFM posted:

code completion is more often than not annoying for high level languages.
you're doing a moderately complex instruction with every line, you don't want the computer guessing what you want

my mileage varies considerably

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Socracheese posted:

yeah cause its in kilometers! :xd:

:argh:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
my very favouritest part of actionscript 2 was if you misspelled a member variable or whatever, the interpreter would just go "derpy doo" and silently create it for you

trying to find bugs in as2 is HILARIOUS

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Tiny Bug Child posted:

as opposed to doing what?

:iiam:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
here's a c++ question for yalls:

which of these, if any, makes you angry? do any of them make you want to kill yourself?

A
code:
FartBoss::FartBoss()
{
    m_pPototo = 0;
    m_pChipes = 0;
    m_pTigerStyle = 0;
}
B
code:
FartBoss::FartBoss() :
m_pPototo(0),
m_pChipes(0),
m_pTigerStyle(0)
{
}
C
code:
FartBoss::FartBoss() :
  m_pPototo(0)
, m_pChipes(0)
, m_pTigerStyle(0)
{
}

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'd like to find the smallest snippet of c++ that makes people go completely apeshit

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
you're wasting precious screen real estate with that frivolous newline

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Fib posted:

Is there really anyone who would suggest A is better? It wouldn't make me rage though, I would just think "heh scrub"

the worst is when people mix them up

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
code:
FartBoss::FartBoss():
   m_eFagtron9000(FB_FAG9K), pish(-1)
   , m_bFalse(true)
{
    m_pPototo = 0;
    m_pChipes = 0;
    m_pTigerStyle = 0;
}

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

prefect posted:

Shouldn't there be m_something attached to the front of "pish"? (Why no, I am not a C++ guy, why do you ask?)

ah you see that was added by the guy who doesn't follow the coding conventions that the other guys do. it's not incorrect per se, in fact some might say it's more correct

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
right now i am looking at real code which is worse than my above example, it's over 100 lines long and makes me want to hand out beatings. it has function calls interleaved amongst the initialisations in the function body.

FamDav posted:

real talk C++ should let you drop the braces and just write

C++ code:
FartBoss::FartBoss() : pototo(0), chipes(0), tigerStyle(0);

i agree. c++ has so much wankery in it

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
mods namchange who!! to whom!!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
whilst!!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Werthog 95 posted:

somebody explain what concrete inheritance is and why it sucks because i'm pretty concrete inheritance is the only thing they taught in my college OO classes

concrete inheritance enforces an "is a" hierarchy which can be a huge pain in the butt. "has a" tends to be better. for example, imagine if you will, a door. you have a base door, and more fancy doors inherit from it. there are lots of things a door can have - locks, letter boxes, brass numbers, peephole, cat flap. it makes no sense to have an inheritance hierarchy here because any door can have any feature, and they're all different in some way.

of course, this is a simplistic example. i've had concrete inheritance bite me in the rear end plenty of times in c++.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Hard NOP Life posted:

Here read this poo poo about how C++ inheritance hosed with the starcraft team
http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/tough-times-on-the-road-to-starcraft

code:
class CUnit ... {
    #include "header_1.h"
    #include "header_2.h"
    #include "header_3.h"
    #include "header_4.h"
};
:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Shaggar posted:

like there is literally no defense for spaces instead of tabs.

i agree but i couldn't put forward a rational case. i just loving hate spaces where tabs should be