Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

just use perl like god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

like there's an absolute zero for how bad a language can be without being intentionally bad

yeah, it's called php

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

okay that one makes sense for the purposes of internationalization at least

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

nowadays in dyalog apl you could write

life ← U ∊⍨ ⊢∘⊂⌺3 3

the core enhancement is the use of a relatively new operator ⌺ (read "stencil") which generalizes the idea of carving up a matrix into uniform-shaped possibly-overlapping tiles, reducing over each tile, and then gluing the results back together; this makes it much easier to express the idea of a neighbor count. several interesting variations can be found here

really disappointed that wasn't a link to goatse, not gonna lie

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mystes posted:

It's reasonable not to allow that for type safety but it makes less sense in a language where you can multiply strings by numbers.

imo if "yospos" * 3 = "yosposyosposyospos" then "yospos" + 4 should = "yosposyosp"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sweeper posted:

we consider our "service" a remote shared object, you have to match the hash of the protocol to connect to it lol

this website is covered by the GNU General Public License. by connecting to it any and all of your knowledge improved as a result is inherently covered by the GPL.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

how much did big blue pay you for those posts

i hope for their sake it wasn't much

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

so they even put “university of massachusetts” backwards to make it fit?

iirc it's actually Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multiprogramming System but I guess MGHUMPS wasn't catchy enough

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

this is the oldest wc I could find, from version 5 research unix: https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo/blob/Research-V5-Snapshot-Development/usr/source/s2/wc.c

it took some work to get it to compile and not segfault constantly because libc functions on v5 are different than in modern libc but the result is:

code:
kazinsal@cygnus:~$ time ./wc-v5 timecube.html
   3362   13559 timecube.html

real    0m0.011s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s
kazinsal@cygnus:~$ time wc timecube.html
  3362  13559 196075 timecube.html

real    0m0.016s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s
obviously not scientific testing but the gnu version is about 50% slower than the 50-odd line naive implementation by a couple of stoner nerds at bell labs 46 years ago

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the gnu version has a lot more flags, handles a lot more corner cases, and builds on every weird rear end lovely unix you can imagine

"gnu's not unix", right down to the philosophy of "small and smart programs that do a basic task well"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

now make it support non-English languages

for the most part it'll handle word count of non-english languages using latin-ish alphabets just fine. it won't understand word counts on logographic alphabets that don't use word separators, but then again, neither does coreutils wc

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it could do that if we threw in full utf8 handling and started considering what constitutes a character instead of counting words in our command line word counting program

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaggar posted:

java and c# are the only good programming languages so any good developer is going to pick one of them. this results in a larger ratio of good developers in those languages. if someone says they actually like a p-lang its a great way to tell they don't know what they're doing.

as java has become deprecated, more people are upgrading to c#. people with money did it early because they could afford windows. as c# is hitting linuxes less wealthy individuals can now afford to get into it.

shaggar was right

quote:

the only downside is c# really needs maven.

okay, mostly right

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

core was supposed to be the cross-platform version with all the windows stuff not implemented or replaced with compatibility shims, iirc. then they realized the main framework codebase was a horrible bloated mess so they're taking the salvageable parts and rewriting them for core. there will only be one .net 5.0 and it will have runtimes for C# and F# (no more VB.NET)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Private Speech posted:

oh I thought it was less than that, a lot of online material talks about it as recent and I don't really follow the language

either way

it's been in the language for ages but php material is on a 15 year delay. people were writing non-object based mysql right up until they threatened to turn it off entirely -- prepared statements are voodoo to php devs

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaggar posted:

yeah powershell should have just been c# script

shaggar was right

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tbh I don't really like python but I don't think it's the devil or anything. it just should be used as a scripting language, not as some kind of cure-all for your backend problems.

javascript, though, can gently caress itself. it's only decent at being a way to mangle the DOM. backend in javascript should be illegal because this kinda poo poo

Wheany posted:

i'm so loving salty about working with ember.js where i have no idea if the method i'm calling returns the value or a promise. and also sometimes different fields of an object return promises.

is absurd, but completely acceptable to people who believe in the mystical powers of javascript on the backend.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sparc owned and I want more sparc machines in my life

once upon a time I had a mid 90s sparc laptop and it was an indestructible workhorse. it disappeared in a move at some point and the last time I saw a working one for sale it was north of two grand

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Soricidus posted:

what language doesn’t come with a repl as standard these days though. c++ I guess? and go obviously because go devs can’t have nice things

rust doesn't come with a repl because it's mozilla's go

e: okay I take it back, no one at mozilla is using rust as a way to write bullshit products to bait out promotions

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pokeyman posted:

time to brush up on canadian aboriginal syllabics

"canadian aboriginal" is kind of a lovely name. here, have some code points for your writing, they're named after your genocidal settlers

whoever decided on that name was either not canadian or just super racist because the preferred and regularly-used terminology has been First Nations since the 70s

Bored Online posted:

help

my boss really really likes go

stop working for google

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

not 100% sure but I think generally First Nations doesn't include Inuit or Métis because they prefer to be identified separately for historical reasons.

and yeah that sounds like a pretty realistic origin story. I know that in Nunavut there's Inuktitut syllabic writing on most public signs not entirely unlike how there's french on bilingual signs in Quebec, and wikipedia says they're related to the "canadian aboriginal syllabics".

that being said I am also a white dude so I am not an authoritative source; I grew up near the Kwantlen First Nation so my K-12 education had a fair bit of First Nations social studies involved, but that's obviously no substitute for first-party experience

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Xarn posted:

What is this poo poo?

https://go.googlesource.com/proposal/+/refs/heads/master/design/go2draft-type-parameters.md

go forth and despair

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

btw, on the subject of higher-level contructs and virtual machines in kernel work: i'll just remind people about the weird and exciting world of the ebpf virtual machine hooks worming itself into more and more of the linux kernel. since the bytecode has to be automatically verified (loaded untrusted from userspace a kernel verifier needs to prove it correct/safe) they used to originally be tiny (4k instructions max) and loop-free, but those restrictions have been loosened to a full 1 million instructions and all loops needing to be verifiably bounded (https://lwn.net/Articles/794934/).

did the ebpf devs see that thing where a group of people ported lua as an NT kernel driver and looked at it as a challenge or something

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Private Speech posted:

what if I heard about "software/systems development lifecycle" but not sdlc

in modern enterprise software development you're supposed to be able to fire off buzzwordy acronyms for everything at the speed of light

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

raminasi posted:

have you ever needed to refer to your collective group of coworkers who weren’t managers? e.g “my company promotes managers decently but our promotion process for ICs is garbage”

"the grunts" is a relatively common one. if my group's albertan boss isn't in the meeting, "the proletariat" comes into use sometimes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the extended version of which is "i give zero fucks if my software is user-hostile"

ah, I see you too have heard of the unix philosophy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pokeyman posted:

wasn't applescript's "natural language" interface translated into many different languages? can't quite figure out how to search for that without getting results about javascript, but iirc you could do the "tell application finder to move all files to trash" in french or german if you wanted

yeah, I remember it being that way in the past but I don't know if it still is. probably not enough people using frapplescript by the OS X era to continue extending new stuff to fit it

I imagine the parsers required to do things like "get colour of pixel 17 in row 5 of bitmap image in application MacDraw document 2" in half a dozen different languages would get out of hand pretty fast

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's apparently been around for 9 years and nobody has done anything with it until almost a decade passed, lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rob pike is about to go start a new programming language and reimplement plan 9 in it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

hell yeah, multiple low-code powered solutions built by citizen developers on the time horizon :rock: :rock:

pls don’t leak my rocketpunk mathcore band’s upcoming ep

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

embedded excel as a library/vm combo like lua would also rock

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

and conveniently you can fit more poo poo in $10k worth of ram in 2021 than you could in $10k worth of ram in 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Athas posted:

There is also Filecoin, which uses some arcane "proof of storage" to create a decentralised storage system (think paying someone to host stuff on IPFS). I really like the idea behind it, but I haven't scratched the surface too much.

except nobody with a functioning brain wants to be part of a distributed file system whose primary users are the kind of people buying and selling things with cryptocurrencies

that's how you gets feds showing up at your door with warrants for your computers and coming back with one for you a week later

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

one day we'll move onto proof-of-dead-pedophiles and in the process the market for cryptoshit will collapse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the most obnoxious part about MMX was that it reused the x87 register stack so if you wanted to use MMX in the middle of code where you were also using the FPU you needed to issue an FSAVE instruction to save the whole FPU state to memory, wait for the FPU to reinitialize to 0, run your MMX code, then issue an FRSTOR afterwards to reload the FPU state

this was in some cases a really goddamn annoying delay because worst case you're now waiting on memory latency and transfer time to save the state, then waiting on the time to reset the FPU, and then the potential memory latency and transfer time to read the state back out of memory (which in the MMX era was like, 66 MHz SDR SDRAM I think). fuuuuuck that

intel had the good sense to just throw a bunch of new registers in for SSE

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Intel spitting out more and more extended versions of AVX was entirely a response to GPGPU becoming the de facto standard for doing massively parallel vector compute. there was no way that AVX on 16 or 24 cores would ever keep up with compute shaders running vector operations on ten thousand cores in parallel, but xeon phi was an objective failure and they didn't have a usable GPU architecture that scaled into discrete cards that can match what Nvidia and AMD put out until literally this year so bolting on more and more registers and widening the SIMD data sizes was their way of trying to stay relevant until they could get Xe-HPC taped out and in the hands of the HPC crowd

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have never intentionally invoked powershell ise

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

it's essentially just that unicode escapes expand at the tokenization level, which can lead to surprises.

the classic example from java puzzlers goes something like

code:
public static void main(String[] args) {
    // Note: \u000A is the Unicode representation of linefeed (LF)
    char c = 0x000A;
    System.out.println(c);
  }
try compiling it

oh sweet lord have mercy :stare:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

guido mailed me a sneak peak of python4

my deepest condolences for your loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

eschaton posted:

whjust do what most MUMPS implementations do and what DCL does, and support using the minimum spelling that’s unambiguous at any point in the program!

also applicable to cisco boxes

sw t p v e 1,2,3