Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Is Lisp the language that's all about data comparisons, or is that Prolog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

So is Objective-C more comparable to C++ (both direct off-shoots of C), or is it more comparable to Java (which was partly inspired by ObjC)? I guess comparable means the level of "advancedness" as a language, I know that's a really vague and lovely metric so just answer this in whichever way you feel is best.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

any programmer who doesnt understand pointers prob doesnt understand memory in general and believes in the memory fairy

Java and .NET devs?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

the memory fairy kicks you in the balls really hard when you make games that are not for desktop computers

What about on Dalvik? :tipshat:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

There are cases where you need Weak references instead of Strong references, but usually when you create instance variables you just declare them as Strong. It's not 100% automatic.

it's not actually garbage collection, but the developer does minimal work because of it so it's sort of like GC.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

vapid cutlery posted:

not really, it's pretty amazing. i mean there's obviously the downside that it's on a pretty niche platform

It'd be interesting if there were ARC-like "garbage collection except really not" mechanisms in other languages.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I guess ARC is neat but its principles are really only applicable to the reference counting nature of ObjC. And there really aren't any major manual memory managed languages left except for C and C-based languages.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Is Flutter any good for making mobile apps? Only saw YOSPOS making fun of Dart 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

what's so bad about Dart exactly