Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Rufo posted:

i havent rly done any proper coding since i graduated like 6 months ago cos im completely unmotivated. kind of burnt out i guess. the story would be very different if i were actually paid to do it X hours a day. i do still rly enjoy digging my teeth into a problem and am mad into maths+cs+coding but i dont tend to do it in my free time for fun any more. how am i supposed to differentiate myself in the eyes of an interviewer from some useless shitlord that knows nothing

like are there any interviewers out there who will actually give me a pencil + paper and let me play about with ideas and solve some problems rather than asking me about poo poo i dont even remember

all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i got some mad dirty puerh and its like im drinking an entire moldy forest

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
once a year ill listen to girl talk - night ripper. at an internship interview i talked about 90s bmws and the giant f1 bmw poster i have

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
if people ask for my github ill just show them my last.fm

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Ronald Raiden posted:

I got hired for my first student cj job partially because I mentioned that I liked Jethro Tull.

they hired you to laugh at you

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
perl has good syntax

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
nice i figured out how to make synergy work on debian so i can log in "remotely"

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i was going to read a book about c++ but i saw the c++ primer for c++11 comes out in like a month

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
should i just write a pusha/popa macro for 64 bit x86

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
welcome to my ignore list

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
java is a piece of poo poo on unix

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i dont think ill ever use emacs if it switches to clojure

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
on fbsd you have to compile a broken limited jvm (diablojdk) which i believe the fbsd foundation actually paid money to license, then with that compile the jdk. also you can't install it via packages because you aren't allowed to, and you can't automate it because you have to accept the license file and i believe manually dl the jdk tarball.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Shaggar posted:

actually its the unix thats poo poo. also dont use non-oracle vms

i think diablojdk is a oracle jvm. anyways you can get around all that by just using openjdk? which is by oracle but open source? so whats the difference? idk

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
its by oracle

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Fren posted:

Emacs will never not be Elisp. There's millions of lines of Emacs code.

it was a hypothetical statement

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

ahhh spiders posted:

it's also cool how "progress" is apparently people throwing up their hands and saying "threads are hard!" and using a loving javascript webserver

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
use perl 6

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Shaggar posted:

objc is like they took all the bad parts of c++/c#/java and put them together.

your posts are in a programming language?lol

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

ahhh spiders posted:

delphi, tcl, pascal, a trio of weirdo languages for people who write software in the woods

canadians

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
basedgod array

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i use emacs to edit my perl code and it has a billion things and triple flymake and it takes forever to open or do anything

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
i use nvi because my root $path is just /bin:/sbin but other than that i use emacs

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
my dad has a bs in computers from 1979 and hes a research fellow doing chemistry, lol

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

man, why do i even do anything

your going to school to learn how to use ruby on rails, lol

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

rotor posted:

has anyone ever written forth? it seems so neat.

i suspect so

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Zaxxon posted:

yeah, it's basically like if you took all the lovely parts out of javascript

i think what you are looking for is coffeescript

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Ronald Raiden posted:

im going to write something called espressoscript where its just javascript but I hosed around with the syntax a bit.

too late http://www.pmade.com/static/presentations/espresso.pdf

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
arduino is stupid

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
use pwm to blow it up

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
use a msp430

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
a msp430 is like five dollars and im pretty sure i read something that they made a newer revision of it and now its the most energy efficient microcontroller or something.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

ive been doing interviewstreet challenges to learn how to do Real Programming Problems

for some reason, they have support for loving lua, but not javascript. i'm using python instead but still, what the gently caress? ugh.

e: also if anyone can give me hints on the "unfriendly numbers" challenge (not a solution obviously!! i aint no cheater) that'd be nice; i timed out on the last 3 test cases. it really sucks that they don't show you any details about the test cases :(

javascript is gay

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
hey kid im not a computer - javascript

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Lysidas posted:

seriyos question does anyone know why newer gccs link against multiple precision complex number library http://www.multiprecision.org/index.php?prog=mpc

GCC has been integrated with the MPC library. This allows GCC to evaluate complex arithmetic at compile time more accurately. It also allows GCC to evaluate calls to complex built-in math functions having constant arguments and replace them at compile time with their mathematically equivalent results. In doing so, GCC can generate correct results regardless of the math library implementation or floating point precision of the host platform. This also allows GCC to generate identical results regardless of whether one compiles in native or cross-compile configurations to a particular target. The following built-in functions take advantage of this new capability: cacos, cacosh, casin, casinh, catan, catanh, ccos, ccosh, cexp, clog, cpow, csin, csinh, csqrt, ctan, and ctanh. The float and long double variants of these functions (e.g. csinf and csinl) are also handled.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
the interview isnt there to assess your api trivia knowledge and it's not something that should be able to be solved with google

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

wow this coursera thing looks like a big education product but the design is unmodified twitter bootstrap, rofl

cmon yall even if you ain't a designer you gotta at least change the default font stack or tweak some colors or something

i've talked about this in irc before but i've never seen it used in an actual product this brazenly lol

anyways this looks really cool! thank you for the link.

explain?
yeah, lets make it uglier - you

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

it literally takes the editing of one motherfucking file to change your site from "looks like every other bootstrap site in the world" to "something legitimately unique built on bootstrap"

it doesnt make it any good though. you can change the font to comic sans and it'd be unique

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
you are in for a long day if you are trying to learn computer science and the first thing you think of when you visit that site is that its not unique enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Anal Tributary posted:

twitter bootstrap looks generic as hell - half of that is because it's used in like half of all new web apps, and half is because it just looks very plain on purpose because it's supposed to be a base to customize

it's about establishing a ~brand identity~ or whatever. i mean the coursera landing page looks pretty great, they just need to get their app's look up to speed

hm.

it says stanford right on the page, idk what you are talking about