Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

so why is yaml so bad? just seems like a different take on xml?? idk i don't use this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Hughlander posted:

My favorite professor at school had his PhD in Computer Science Education. He wrote the syllabus for many classes and often taught the freshman weed-out course. He'd start the course the first day by taking panoramic photo of the 500+ students without saying anything and then start with, "I just wanted to get a picture of the class since this is the last day you will all be here." That fucker knew how to teach those who wished to learn and got rid of everyone else real drat fast.

my uni waited until 4th semester for our weed out class so you've already paid for at least a year and a half of classes. i think they deliberately under taught the prerequisites as part of their cunning plan. only around 10-15% of students passed lol.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

WHOIS John Galt posted:

im dumbfounded i graduated

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Condiv posted:

Why not just have static typing at this point and get it over with?

starting to agree with this. python would be nice if you could at least optionally define types in method thingies for larger projects

like this guy
http://www.mypy-lang.org/

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spongeh posted:

the problems i've seen usually consist of pockets from bad routing, like at home (at&t uverse thanks at&t!!!) i sometimes get 140 ping from TX to NY, but 110 ping from TX to the friggin UK. we run a whole bunch of gameservers at geographically diverse locations and we have periods where people will just have twice the ping they normally have, and it'll stay that way for weeks if not months or longer. they're all at different hosts on different continents even. sometimes if they can get a new IP they'll get lucky with a better route that doesn't travel an extraneous 1500 miles or hit a hop that slows everything to a crawl

but yea its basically a bunch of anecdotes, we don't have any hard data on anything like that. i think overall pings are lower but there's a lot more variance.

i'd be interested if someone here who actually knows better knows anything about the topic

the internet is a big BGP mess of fun hope this helps. the shortest path isn't always the best path, which is a pretty novel concept to most of the routers in production use

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Toady posted:

super portable netbsd's installer won't even boot on my leftover dell, but freebsd does

freebsd owns. can't wait until they sort out pkgng

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

apache works fine idk why you'd worry about nginx

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

tef posted:

nginx is mostly used for ~performance reasons~

i tried to find some benchmarks but realised what i was doing and stopped. hope this helps someone.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Tiny Bug Child posted:

wisdom

that "fractal of bad design" post was one of the stupidest things i've ever read. facile bullshit hand-crafted to appeal to useless perubython "developers", all of whom breathlessly recirculated it for a month

0wned btch

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

well, see, it's funny, i worked with a new team on this and i know they didn't trust that i would deliver. so they lied to me about duedate, its being put into testing 8am monday. wanted to give themselves a chance to dig out of hole if i just gave them a file that was "use strict; print "lol owned bitches\n";return 0;"

however i know they were lying to me about the due date because walmart shuts down at 4pm on fridays p much. so i wanted to outsmug them and actually really have it @ 5 today.

due date poker
isnt there a system that literally does that? lets people bid time and poo poo

ps i got a raise yesterday sooooooooooo

wow they sound like dicks, good luck with that new team

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rotor posted:

the purpose of an undergrad degree is to demonstrate to the student that after 12 years of primary school and 4 years of university exactly how little they know.

oh good my school did a great job then

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

.net has, but win32 still works, that's the point

when i tried writing an application in wpf due to all the talk about how it would replace win32 in the future it was so clear that no one at MS used wpf for anything at all except for maybe the wpf team

now wpf has been replaced with html/css/js?? idk i stopped caring

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think the silverlight team did a wpf subset and actually faced the real World a couple of times and that fixed it up enough to make it winrt however you feel about that

winrt is metro full screen only though right?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

unix shell scripts require "then" and i never forget it

great language btw, like APL except readable (and slow)

fi

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

tef posted:

European nations would not be able to afford universal healthcare and all the welfare if they had to pay for their security. US bases in Europe are great financial aid.
I never hear discussions about Iran or Russia being a possible threat in Europe. I do in the US. Which is funny because it really is much bigger problem for Europeans to have guys like Putin and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at their door steps. Never happens. The US bases and military spending is taken for granted. They prefer to talk about universal healthcare and help for the poor instead. As security is non-issue with the US soldiers deployed to this continent.
The thing that really gets on my nerves is that some politicians even want the US bases to be moved out from Europe. They simply don't understand the world in which they are living. Talking distances Syria is closer to Greece than Greece to Germany. Nobody thinks about it that way though.
The US pays the military bills for the whole of Europe and this amounts to money that can and is spent on social services.

wat

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

really? ...really?

web scale

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

does anyone have a good overview of common data structures so I can pick one that suits my needs

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

or you can use the ~advanced php cache~ which is free and somehow not part of the language

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

so i'm doing a little project in cpp and i can't tell if i'm leaking objects or not or whatever.

is there a valgrind-like program that actually work on windows. i tried app verifier and the thing itself causes segfaults when my program terminates and doesn't even detect the leaks that I intentionally put there.

pls help

use rust

or spin up a small linux VM and use valgrind

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

how terrible is the ebeans orm should I just use prepared statements. im using the play framework is seems nice so far

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Wheany posted:

PHP code:
$query = 'select * from users where user_id = ' . $_POST['uid'] . ' and password = ' . $_POST['passwd'];
$result = mysql_query($query);
supremacy

please dont post my work's secret source code

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Condiv posted:

last time I used it, rust seemed like your average strongly typed language. which is good, gently caress c and c++'s middling type strength.

also, as an absolute beginner to the language, pointers were kind of tough for me (mainly because the program I wrote exposed like 6 compiler bugs), but not anything like the template errors in C++

i haven't hit an compiler bug for ages rust is growing up :3:

it's going to take me a while to wrap my head around lifetimes though. wtf rust.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

Rust .8 is out

i've been doing some opengl stuff with gl-rs and glfw-rs
it owns

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

what I do on personal projects is use bootstrap + jquery for the frontend and the backend is a json api. also jsr 303 for input validation and a custom exception resolver. it makes controller code rly clean bc you only have to code the happy path--jsr 303 validates the input and if anything goes wrong (including validation) the exception resolver returns the error details.

idk how well it would scale to larger projects but making small webs is almost not painful at all doing it this way

post ur skeleton project

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

loving lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

if it isn't clear already i work at red hat on gnome3 all day so i'm happy to answer any questions you may have about this stuff.

release the rust bindings

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

its the only language thats sane and compiles to native machine code

well i mean theres like rust. i'd love to write new gnome components in rust and i already started working on that.

but do you have any better ideas?

!!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

javascript is perl levels of ugly

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol at the backend programmer guy getting mad about UI. gnome 3 owns.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

qwerasdf posted:

so how about them programming languages

im getting confused between column major and row major matrices in a variety of languages i hope this helps

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

eh, vb6 catches a rather ridiculous amount of flak it feels like. it is absolute trash as a high-level language, but if you wanted to quickly knock out terrible lob apps that more or less worked on no budget it was pretty unbeatable.

really a sure sign that microsoft forgot all that made them successful when they killed vb, token updates for the next 50 years would have meant guaranteed money and more happiness for many for 50 years

i don't think vb is inherently easier than c# though you can knock out a lovely LOB app in either in 2 seconds

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MononcQc posted:

I thought "oh nice the thread is alive" but welp. Happy new year, PL thread.

hello mr erlang man is chicago boss any good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MononcQc posted:

I don't know what are you trying to do?

It's a good full-stack framework if that's what you're looking for. Closest experience you may have to a ruby on rails that works better (i.e. does more than one request at a time), but I'm not necessarily a fan of all the syntactic sugar added around their models (I'm not even that much of a fan of models as provided by a web framework, personally). Otherwise, it's looking solid and is used successfully by a lot of people.

There's apparently a good concern about making things safe -- though I'm not sure CSRF was ever handled in it in any way back when I complained about it -- I haven't used it enough to point out serious flaws.

I was just going to build an extremely simple webapp to introduce myself to erlang and thought it looked neat. CSRF looks solved now:
https://github.com/ChicagoBoss/ChicagoBoss/pull/347

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i guess they have ancient science incantations/libraries written in fortan they call from their python or c++ stuff instead of rewriting the libraries

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

why would you make anything new in php

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

python?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

OBAMA BIN LIFTIN posted:

but for real, lol if you can't pick up a new language in like a day

please stop writing java in every language

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Zombywuf posted:

One day I will write an amazing email client that is totally the best at everything.

lol i tried this once with c#+wpf and somehow the native listview performed far worse than a web browser. plus there were no good imap libraries around at the time and writing my own was ... horrible

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

.net 4.5 introduced VirtualizingPanel.ScrollUnit="ScrollUnit" which made a huge difference, but it was too little too late for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

decided to undertake the "project" of switching to PDO from mysqli and it feels like it took 10 minutes. it was kind of sad deleting all those mysqli hacks, though.

please stop PHPing

i wrote some unit tests in php for our old horrible code and phpunit, the best thing they have, doesn't catch fatal errors lol. no possible clue as to where it might have died. it just runs and there's no output. don't get started on autoloaders