Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

i was so bored at my old job i wrote most of an arm emulator in coffeescript during the downtime when they thought i was loving around on HN or facebook or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

at uni i used to fix bugs in OSS stuff for practise by the simple expedient of
a) use OSS product
b) encounter horrible bug
c) fix it

note that step b may take several seconds so be patient gl

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Internaut! posted:

kid I know is a flash developer at a top media shop, google called him up and said we'd like to interview you, in the interview they asked him all kinds of questions about things like inodes and efficient pointer/bitshift operations

in short most tech interviewers are retarded and terrible

uh sounds good? last thing anyone wants to do is hire flash devs

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Werthog posted:

i'm never going to forget the :psyduck: attempt at an algorithms question i got in my last interview. maybe one of you can make some sense of what the gently caress he was trying to get at:

him: "so, you have a circular linked list, you don't know where it starts or ends, and you want to know when you've visited every element. but you can't save anything!"

me: "..."

him: "but i'll give you a hint: you have two pointers"

me: "uh, leave one pointer at the first element you have, traverse the list with the other, and when the two pointers are equal again, you've been through the whole list"

him: "no no no, you can't save anything! all you have are these two pointers!"

that went back and forth for about ten minutes before i gave up and said i must not understand the question, chalked it up to his broken english. at the end of the interview when he asked if i had any questions for him, i said yeah, what the gently caress answer were you looking for there

and he gets this sly grin on his face and explains that every time you move one pointer ahead by one node, you move the other pointer ahead TWO nodes, and when the pointers equal each other, you've been through the whole list.

the punchline is that this man is now my boss

his phrasing's wrong or whatever but in the totally generic interview question version of this it's a linked-list with a possible cycle in it, as opposed to a completely circular list, which means you can't just leave one pointer sitting at the first element because the first element might not be in the cyclic portion of the list. not that it sounds like he got that anyway.

it's still a dumb gotcha question though.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

ahhh spiders posted:

are you seriously using this contrived example to defend what happened

its not a contrived example it's just how the question is meant to go. you've got a linked list and two pointers and there might be a cycle that starts at some point that is not the head element, how do you find it.

not that you should need to be second guessing your interviewers to actually ask their questions correctly

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Stringent posted:

gently caress clients, gently caress them in the rear end with a big, splintery wooden dildo, then break it off and beat them to death with the rest of it.

i hear rakuten's nice although rumour has it you need a good TOEIC score these days. ganbatte.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

goonicorn

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

tef posted:

the people I have cited are talking about my writeup.

why are they paying attention I am adding nothing but an echo

because otherwise there might be a thread on hn without tptacek comments

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

fart simpson posted:

ive written a canvas asteroids clone. i don't know what else you'd do with it

apparently it's pretty good for browser fingerprinting

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

tef posted:

are you a ruby liker? why? i genuinely want to know why ruby, because i'm not getting the same buzz the rest of you nerds are

or to be precise, none of the tradeoffs ruby makes seem to be in my favour. i don't like the plethora of special case types, i don't like the 'internal iterators', i don't like the whimsy syntax either.

fwiw i like ruby more than python simply because i tried ruby first and wrote a whole bunch of code in it and python is close enough to ruby that i get the uncanny valley effect when i try to use it.

this is not python's fault, i'm very well aware of the ways its better, ruby's just what i'm used to.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Progressive JPEG posted:

if i liked twilight princess should i try skyward sword??

im a weirdo that has a gamecube but not a wii

you should try and play it on an emulator and then when you hit bugs in the emulator you fix them and then after a while you notice you have more fun fixing the bugs than playing the game and then you're me trying to play old ultima games

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

rjmccall posted:

iiuc, google's internal code is indeed a massive ci lovefest
yes

quote:

where your commits go immediately into production
nope

quote:

and you're expected to live on the bleeding edge of everybody else's apis and poo poo goes down in flames constantly.
yes. somehow we got this one without the second one :shrug:

quote:

i don't know if they actually do import each other's git repos directly
kind of?

quote:

i believe the public things are somewhat more carefully staged, but otoh i don't think i know anybody who commits to those

hi

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

comedyblissoption posted:

imo, the bottleneck in programming, even for prototyping code, is not the slowdown of having to type that your parameter is of type int.

it could be. objective-c block syntax is so terrible that the slowdown of having to figure out how to write out the type (probably visiting fuckingblocksyntax.com on the way) is significant enough that i've seen it influence people's design choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Gazpacho posted:

BORN TO PIPE
WORLD IS A FILE
#! Script Em All 1989
I am bash man
410,757,864,530 CHILD PROCESSES