Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
doesnt eschaton literally work at apple

i imagine you gotta drink the kool-aid to work there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Yeah, i recommend individual thinkpad products, not the thinkpad line

This is basically also true in large part for macs also, nowadays

Every tech major has basically settled upon loose networks of fiefdoms ruled by managerial suzerains, basically, so you get that. Dynamodb sucking while ELB is great, every goog social network sucking while search keeps on being the only good search engine...

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 20, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

"you" refers to rjmccall in that bit

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
do they still not actually have free food at apple, btw
this always threw me for a loop, hearing about it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's kind of hosed up given that they are so far in the suburbs there is nowhere else to eat

cupertino "city" "center" is like 2000 feet away

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i work 10 minutes walk from my house but the downside is that it's in menlo park where the nearest good korean food is.... not here

the crappy pseudo-korean place in menlo is literally a little bit walk down the street, taunting me with its crappiness

i have considered making weekend jaunts to los angeles

depressing fact 2: it's like 30 minutes drive to the h-mart

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

Silicon Valley is not suitable for human habitation.

it would be fine if they put up some 50-story apartment buildings everywhere like in real cities

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if the phones don't work out, they can fall back on the credit card, amusement parks (multiple), fashion, chemical manufacturing, heavy industry, cameras, economics research, mechatronics, robots, heavy industrial engineering, ships, buildings, hotel chain, hospital chain, life insurance, general insurance, storage tech, sports teams, movies, biotech, home shopping, logistics, pharma, cosmetics, paper products, white goods, oil refining, machine tools, stockbroking, nuclear power plants....

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

Like, it seems the TizenRT guys could just fix this by resetting memory pages to 0 but they don't seem to be smart enough to think that far ahead. Why is Tizen still a thing

need a place to put the fuckwits from the credit card, amusement parks (multiple), fashion, chemical manufacturing, heavy industry, cameras, economics research, mechatronics, robots, heavy industrial engineering, ships, buildings, hotel chain, hospital chain, life insurance, general business insurance, fire insurance, marine insurance, hard disks, sports teams, movies, biotech, home shopping, logistics, an entire district of seoul, a different city 13 miles from seoul, pharma, cosmetics, public transit stuff, paper products, cars, white goods, oil refining, machine tools, stockbroking, nuclear power plants

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 23, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they actually spun off the dried fish and noodles and sugar refining business that they started out with

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

chaebol ownership structures would make ikea blush

companies that own each other in a ring, holding companies that magnify family voting power without increasing their capital stake, non-arm's-length transactions, the whole kit and kaboodle

i really do not understand why any outside investors even put money in

you have to be either:
1. the korean govt
2. completely ok with having no say in running things ever
the chaebols have had fuckups in their families before, they dealt with it in various ways, samsung has been fairly successful at dealing with their fuckups

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
til: guido is 62yo

dude aged like an asian person, wtf

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
:psyduck:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
... to steal cool lang features from for langs peeps actually use ....

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kzin602 posted:

I'm really curious about what that means? I'm trying to get out of this large company I'm currently stagnating at and get back into development in a smaller shop or startup.

"we ship once every 6 months"
a real thing i have heard while giving a real interview

i guess that's fine if you make like widgets or shrinkwrapped software

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Also, you know, enterprise software that actually has to be installed, deployed, and tested. Not everything is sharty web app yet.

swimming in enterprise land with enterprise values, yep

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

death is a preferable alternative to javascript

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TOPS-420 posted:

i mean, the last time a blowhard with a cult of personality, a chip on his shoulder, and contempt for the last forty years of computer science released his pet language and got laughed at by anyone with sense, we ended up with golang, and, welp

it's incredible how almost perfectly inversely proportional language design quality and industry uptake are

the nazi royalist guy's lang, hoon, has glorious 0 uptake for excellent reasons

i just think it's mostly uncorrelated, tbh

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

does it, I thought Peter Thiel was funding his company and they were trying to build stuff with it

yep

even within nutjob program poo poo, too, iirc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

it's nintendo isn't it

it's always nintendo

entire philosophy is "lol gently caress technology, lets make good video games"

"withered" is the official translation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpei_Yokoi#Lateral_Thinking_with_Withered_Technology

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

prototypes have a tendency to take on life so be careful what you hack together and how, imo

corollary: the answer to a proof of concept "investigating whether we could do this" is "yes". no exceptions

nobody ever fuckin thinks about "investigating whether we should do this"

<insert jeff goldblum here>

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cto at my company is ex-microsoft
two of the top devs used to work directly on sql server itself, also ex-microsofties
we just did a mass hire of 4 dudes direct from a failing startup, all ex-microsoft except one

we use postgres, lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

Abstraction is ... good.

nah

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

floatman posted:

No abstractions:
How to get to destination:
Depressed accelerator by 30 degrees for 5 minutes.
Rotate steering wheel left by 45 degrees.
Hold for 6 second
Rotate steering wheel right by 45 degrees.
Etc etc.

Good abstraction:
How to get to destination:
Travel straight down the road to the next junction.
Turn left.
Merge onto highway, keep to speed limit
Exit highway via ramp.

The lovely app I work in in which they think that "magic" == abstraction:
Car has two buttons: shopping centre and gas station.
You want to go to: airport
Start mashing both buttons alternately to make car veer violently between the two destinations and hopefully hit the airport.

the depressing part about abstraction is that there is no such thing as no abstraction

what's a "minute"? "second"? "degree"? "hold"? "rotate"? "accelerator"? "steering wheel"?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

If there's something I appreciate with the games industry, it's that programmers are not the center of the universe, and since we're in the bay area, someone from Google/Facebook/etc. struts in and thinks they're hot poo poo and eventually learns very quickly that programmers are just a member of a team and sometimes their opinion is disregarded in favor of an artist's opinion. That's the way it should be.

I tried to interview a team at Google working on a game project and they kept talking about how the artists were "distracting" them and how they would build tools for the baby artists who aren't smart so the programmers could go off and masturbate alone iunno. But they "hadn't decided whether the tool would be made in Unity or WebAssembly" yet. I put the phone on mute and had to scream during that sentence. They also tried to hype me up by mentioning that their concept artists were very famous artists I would recognize. When I asked about the pipeline for the actual artists, they said "what's a pipeline". When I asked about the artists using Maya to build assets, they said "oh we contract that out".

I learned a lot of things about how Google thinks during that phone call.

right, in games the producer and the publisher is the center of the universe

lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'd start with just "create user in database" too, but what about after i've written "create table in database", "create view in database", "create function in database" plus 10 more, and there is a bunch of code in each of them, and it's all the same except for the parts that would go in A, B, and C? do i abstract further at this point, or stop because it would be harder for someone who didn't go through the same exercise to initially understand?

imo what i would probably do is use the additional abstraction to keep my code easier to maintain, but present a simpler interface without it, so the caller still just does "create user in database"

"harder for someone who didn't go through the same exercise to initially understand" is not something that can be intuited by a priori anything. it is a creature of pure empirics

presumably, you aren't working alone. even if you are working alone, you're working on a thing that takes a nontrivial amount of time

if you're not working alone, you can literally go talk to someone and say, "i'm thinking of this abstraction. would this help you understand blah blah blah"

if you are, then write down the possible abstraction you can make and then revisit it in a day or so and see if it's crap. you may also try the alleged traditional persian practice of looking at it once sober and once drunk

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
talking to peeps or waiting for abstractions also helps you create fewer, riper abstractions

pauca sed matura friendoes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

it makes you a dipshit

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
why did you light the stymiesignal

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

AWWNAW posted:

my hot take is that perhaps instead of fighting a losing battle against the plain as day inconsistencies and failures of how our work is carried out, we should be fighting against the hosed up system that screens out nearly everyone but the insufferable white men that could afford to go to college for computer touching. like everything else this problem is really just about white people

black people don't commit bugs and lovely abstractions?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the engineering team i'm at is about 30% white

(its cuz it's 70% asian)

software eng was 95% white a few decades ago but now it's 60% in america, less white than the general pop, so the empirical thing to do is to go find out what asian dudes figured out

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

i imagine they found a career path where they wouldn't have to work twice as hard for half the grattitude

on the other hand i'm scandi and yet to have a coworker who isn't white enough to blind me

yeah, but old asian dudes were working twice as hard for half the gratitude in like, the 80's

what did they do

asian dudes lead the goog part of the goog and microsoft now

was it just time and work and unappreciation or what

(i've been unironically hunting for an anthropology + history of that poo poo for years)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 8, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are also a lotta books about how women should get tech jobs and lead and stuff and to my knowledge they don't say poo poo about how asian dudes ended up doing it
which i guess, it's not 100% germane to the sitch

but i thought there would be like a postmortem or a recollection or an analysis or something

it went from 95% white and peeps accepting that as a fact of life to 60% white and peeps accepting the rest being asian as a fact of life

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that's nice

i'm thinkin, scholarly book, hundreds of pages, hundreds to thousands of citations, bigass notes section. maybe a big journal article. academic af, peer reviewed and/or edited by an academic press

blog posts for contentious subjects of this kind ime are basically masturbation

e: that blog post is about poo poo in late 2010's

but the transfer is mostly complete in the late 2010's. no historical aspects to it. the linked jacobin dealio is the typical nonspecific dealie which i've read loads of yadda yadda praise model minority yadda yadda

also she unironically cites eugene volokh and a jacobin article in the same fuckin article

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 8, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Captain Foo posted:

call them shaggars

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"dipshit" is the one true insult

it will work on a maga chud

it will work on a tankie

it will work on drat centrists, libs, leftists, mccain-type decorumites

black, white, asian, latino. every gender, every sex, every sexual orientation

everywhen and everywhere, people will receive the correct amount of insult from "dipshit"

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 9, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

I’m desperate to get some market-credible web tech on my resume rather than being funneled once again into “software tools”

remember: the best plang is python

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Web dev is the worst paid and most miserable type of dev work ime

it's p. great if and only if you're in a certain subset of venture-backed firms or tech majors

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

how do you test nested functions in python? I tried looking it up, stackoverflow said don’t nest functions and here I am not nesting the fuckers

macros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
feynman used to be a startup bro

http://longnow.org/essays/richard-feynman-connection-machine/