Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i'll complain about this here also

code:
  File "./render.py", line 50
    def get_text(elem: etree.Element, path='': str) -> str:
                                             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
this sucks

i'm sure there's some self important rationale post of this and i will have absolutely none of that

please just make your syntax work regular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

thanks i didnt that syntax because it extremely rear end backwards

matti
Mar 31, 2019

but in short im dumb

matti
Mar 31, 2019

another issue is that the technical terminology may just not exist and it'll read super stilted if you try localize it

but yeah i imagine localization is very important in east asia and such, europeans opinions are kinda null

matti
Mar 31, 2019

man sticking anything but ascii in a translation file is just bad news

matti
Mar 31, 2019

so I'm working on an XML shorthand.

(assume 2 spaces are INDENT)

anyone know any more recent prior art than e.g. SOX from 20 years ago?

matti fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 29, 2024

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i think the tricky part is whitespace if you want to be isomorphic w/ xml

but i think i have figured an unambiguous grammar for that that luckily maps to the formatting you would use anyway

i say this now, i'll probably find some critical fault in my reasoning tomorrow and have to scrap half of the design

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Shaggar posted:

just use normal xml

if you ignore all the complaints how it's rear end to write or edit without a specialized editor, regular xml is pretty needs suiting, sure.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

honestly, i do end up writing marked-up documents all the time.

the second criticism is more fair. but i think i'd rather write a pre-processor than learn a new editor that i'd likely end up hating for not being vi.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Shaggar posted:

creating some hosed up sudo-xml is going to cause you infinitely more wasted time than just using xml

lol we'll see

matti
Mar 31, 2019

yeah think from now on I'll make a point to frame it as a markdown/asciidoc replacement for when you need lot of escape hatches instead of an abbreviated form of xml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

not that i'm planning to do the other two or more 95%s of work to make the language useful to anyone but myself after implementing it