Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

Seriously who the gently caress developed an iPhone and was like yeah we don't need easily accessible vibrate or anything that's not necessary

durrr? settings > sounds > vibrate on silent and congratulations your silence switch is now a vibrate switch and this is the correct mode of operation for your phone 100% of the time because a) who needs a ringer ever and b) who needs complete silence ever unless your asleep and that's what the do not disturb scheduler is for

problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
we use git at work and i hate it seems like every time i do a pull there's a merge conflict that needs to be resolved and every time i try to do anything even slightly out of the ordinary (amend a commit or work on a seperate branch) the whole repo just loving explodes

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
whats the deal with maven?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

WHOIS John Galt posted:

lol that's part of your job champ, handling merge conflicts

there's no --magically-divine-my-intent flag in any source control system

thanks moron

im no expert on source control systems but you'd think it could handle this case better: two people both add a function to the end of a file (possibly the logical place to add a new function??) when person a pulls person b's changes and vice versa there's a conflict. is it really so hard to figure out that i want both of the new functions?

my complaint is not that conflicts occur but that they occur like all the fucken time and if i wanted to manually merge diffs together every time i did a pull i could do that perfectly well on my own without any "help" from git

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

maven rules

our build/deploy process is entirely manual and crummy but im not in charge of that so itll probably never change

what do you use for an issue tracker? jira?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

WHOIS John Galt posted:

everyone go read qa confidential right now

leisuretown owns

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
so the javascript codebase on our project was a total mess, zero organization, global variables all over the place and i decided to refactor the whole thing using a revealed module format, reckoning it had the greatest correspondence with how the existing code was actually used. ok great, four days later i have a codebase that doesn't make me want to vomit when i look at it, modules are organized based on their functionalities instead of what page someone happened to be writing when they first needed the code, and oh yeah i eliminated thousands and thousands of lines of redundant, duplicated code. it's just too bad that eclipse's javascript support is terrible and i've lost any kind of autocomplete or content assist on anything.

i really hope having this poo poo on my resume won't make it completely impossible to get a real loving job in the next year or two.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
mutability sucks and is stupid immutable structures go 4ever

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
i use the "recogneyes" theme that comes with the eclipse theme plugin, i think its pretty great

my coworkers all use the standard eclipse scheme and i don't undestand how their eyes don't fall out of their head at the end of the day

the only thing worse than black-on-white is the awful zero-constrast schemes like zenburn what the gently caress is up with that poo poo

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

deep square leg posted:

still undecided about that change but also in the thread someone suggested adobe's free source code font and i like it a lot.
https://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2012/09/source-code-pro.html

ugly

nothing beats consolas

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
eclipse is not bad for the price but i honestly can't understand how someone like shaggar could like it so much when it is clearly a hobbyist's toy in comparison to a real ide like visual studio

i mean its open source for christ's sake come on man

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
this may sound retarded but if i buy the personal license for intellij is it legal for me to use it at work

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
This thread gave me some great ideas about how to rethink our web services interface and I can't wait to try them out on Monday

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
my coworker's conception of a unit test: "it didn't throw an exception or return null, so it must have worked!"

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

yeah its the best. doing uis with anything else is a hilarious joke.

shaggar what lib do u use for jax-ws axis and cxf both seem to blow

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
finally got going with maven today and man does it rule

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
along the lines of nevergirls post from the last page

im sure everyone here has heard the story before but i never cease to be amazed by the therac-25

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
metafilter was slobbering all over that swartz loser today and my favorite bit was this

that's a comment he posted on the site in 2001 back when he was like eight years old on a thread ABOUT HIMSELF

"To those who say that you can only be happy by being "normal", I'd like to suggest that I am evidence to the contrary."

*kills self twelve years later*

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

ratbert90 posted:

Oh look at me, i'm python, I have to be formatted properly to work? Is your tabs wrong? Can't write lovely looking code that looks like this?
code:
int i;int j;int main (void){while ((scanf("%i", &j)))for (i = j; i >= 0; i-- {usleep(1000000);printf("%i\n", i);}return 0;}
WELL gently caress YOU!

Oh whats that? You don't have to declare anything? Why sure! Come on in spelling mistakes.

Python is a pretty terrible language for a multitude of reasons. Those two being the biggest.

lol scanf get the gently caress out of here forever

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

ratbert90 posted:

Good to know. I use VIM or eclipse, and haven't used python in a long time. I still don't like having to have the formatting their way though. :smith:

python is gay but you're a whole lot gayer

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
shags do you have any links to a good primer on dependency injection

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
thanks nomnom, shags, and jiveturkey for your good posts about DI

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
i mapped and reduced the gently caress out of some poo poo today :feelsgood:

do u guys have that moment where your project is functionally complete but you feel like you're just now getting a good grip on what the problem space actually is and what the best approach for solving it is

but, you know, too fucken late

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

how!! posted:

The fact that my theoretical refactor broke it and resulted in a fine is actually a good thing.

lmao this guy rules

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
I actually like going to work and solving problems even if they are fairly humdrum and the workflow sucks and we spend half our time reinventing the wheel because NIH

I think it's because I still work my blue-collar job on the weekends, it gives me perspective

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
let me waste time on a junk toy language that will never be used to create anything useful, that sounds like a good use of the limited hours of life i have here on planet earth

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
gently caress atl gently caress mfc do com in pure c every day

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

syntaxrigger posted:

when I was a student, I was wide eyed at the plethora of problems they said I could learn to solve with programming as well as the things they said I could build. The love of creation, the curiosity, kept me going when things got tough.

Now I am in 'industry' admittedly only a few years in and I see no interesting problems, no love of solving them. The only thing it seems I will build is an addition to a house that should be condemned and rebuilt.

I think I was lied to.

gently caress off you whiny oval office, it's work. you wanna go dig ditches? no? then shut the gently caress up forever

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

tef posted:

tbh i'd rather be in a job with fixed hours and standard work, so I could just switch my brain off and get on with it

instead of a job where the company might not be around next week, random on call nonsense and generally wondering what will last longer, my patience or my contract

lol you wouldn't last a week in a blue collar job

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Nomnom Cookie posted:

yeah unions are the worst

wrongest post ever

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
the prof who taught my comparative programming languages course was chinese and pronounced scheme skee-MEE

it drove me nuts and to this day i can't see the word without hearing skee-MEE

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
it's a surprising fact that phds who are never actually taught how to teach don't know how to teach

i have to give some props to old slanty eyes though, if you could actually understand what she was saying she wasn't half bad, except when it came to database design (her area of specialty) where she was talking so far above our knowledge level it was ridiculous

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
yeah im pretty amazed by how awesome maven is

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
ridiculous that end-to-end unicode is still so hard in tyool 2013

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Carthag posted:

whats a good book on like idiomatic C or whatever. i feel like when i write C sometimes i just mash keywords in a row and delete poo poo until it compiles

this is a few pages back but im guessing nobody gave you the right answer, which is:

read K&R
then read kernighan and pike "the practice of programming"

the only two C books anyone ever needs, period

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

tef posted:

why, are they using allman style?

holy poo poo tef made a funny post!!!!!

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

rotor posted:

yospos is not about being funny

sorry I know that I just got excited cuz I got to see a once-in-a-lifetime event like Haley's comet

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

tef posted:

is your problem with me, or that other people like me, or that no-one pays attention to you?

you're ugly and you smell funny

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

rotor posted:

having met tef irl i can finally say with complete honesty and forthrightness that he does not emit any significant unpleasant odor.

aha but I notice on the issue of his aesthetically displeasing outward appearance you are conspicuously silent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
i hated checked exceptions until i learned to use them properly and now i think they're the best thing ever

c#'s model just leads to all exceptions being ignored always, what's the point of it

anyone who writes catch(Exception e) or even worse Throwable t anywhere but the top level of a servlet should be summarily executed