Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
css is the loving worst because it makes zero sense to anybody and the most trivial layout problems are comically difficult to solve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

:sigh:

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
it was pretty laffo when i started at my job and my boss told me "we do everything mvc style here" and when i started looking in to the code i found controllers that did nothing but forward to jsps and scriplets, scriplets as far as the eye could see

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Tiny Bug Child posted:

"use grep/sed"

:barf:

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

KARMA! posted:

a billion pages about the awesome/vile duality of unicode yet nobody can explain to me why theres a poop emoticon glyph

there's not one single good reason NOT to have a poop emoticon glyph

💩💩💩💩💩

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

KARMA! posted:

being a programmer is very profitable whatever lang you choose :)

for reals. some days i hate my job but then i think, i make twice as much as i did in my blue collar career with the potential to earn way way more in the future and i'm getting paid those fat bucks to sit on my rear end and do nothing 3/4 of the time

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

BONGHITZ posted:

make a game

make a demo

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please, let's.

lmao our project still uses yui

yui 2.9

and it always will

honestly though the widgets are not bad, if somewhat dated in appearance

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
I'm working on a report this week and while it's tedious and mind-numbing work there is something satisfying about taking a massively retarded sproc riddled with cursors and dynamic sql written by my idiot coworkers that takes 30 seconds to run and replacing it with a view that returns the same results instantly

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

better defaults + no permgen

gently caress permgen in the rear end forever

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

k&r is poo poo. CamelCase, all man style, hard tabs only.

this is half right. hard tabs are mandatory. camel case is good (I still honestly kind of hate it but what other choice do you have, loving snake case? gross never). but k&r till the day I die. allman style, ugh, loving hideous. the only good thing you can say about allman style is that it isn't gnu style, the most laughably ridiculous style ever conceived.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Mr. Glass posted:

good enough for government work

story of my life

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

the primary constraint i deal with in programming is that i figured out a way to do it that is cool but also impractical and i'm going to spend 9 hours figuring out how to do it that way before scrapping it for the easier and better method

the primary constraint I deal with is that our app is a poorly structured pile of spaghetti code and I spend three days fantasizing about refactoring it all or burning it to the ground and starting over and then three hours adding my ugly hack to the great big pile of ugly hacks

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

you mean the actual security problem...is people???

edit: snowden was a sysadmin. with selinux he should be able to cj poo poo w/o being able to read the TOP SECRET .nfos. but selinux is such a horrible pita to set up for that poo poo that no one bothers, apparently not even the organization with the greatest need for it

snowden didn't get all the docs he stole through his own access. he also grovelled credentials from other people under false pretenses. at the point where you can get away with that, the technical measures aren't all that important.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
we already proved like 500 pages ago that option types are the same as checked exceptions and that both are good and that unchecked exceptions are poo poo because they give you no useful information about what types a function can return (aka what exceptions it can throw)

runtimeexception in java sucks poo poo and should never be used for anything. big loving mistake. should have used flow analysis instead to prove that a dereferenced can never be null.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

the more i think about considerations when programming in large teams, the more i think the correct approach is intoxication

same but more so for small teams

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Dessert Rose posted:

if i prefer to keep my code under 80 columns

it's not the 70s anymore, let this bullshit go forever pls tia

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
netbeans loving blows

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Scaevolus posted:

Does anyone have a link to that blog post about "lockfree algorithms are hard, okay?" where he went through a simple lockfree queue and pointed out a dozen different bugs in it?

I'm sure this isn't what you're talking about but Raymond Chen did a series on lock free algorithms a while back that was really good and interesting

I don't have a link or any idea of how you'd find it on his blog though. you're welcome!!!!

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Tiny Bug Child posted:

meanwhile product managers and bosses with actual sense go "hey, what's been around for a while, is reliable, powers lots of heavily used big-name sites, and we can find lots of developers for. ok PHP ASP.NET it is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

My data is valuable so I'm db first all the way. If you want to use EF you add a new entity model (edmx) and then connect it to your db and import the objects/functions you want. I generally only import functions cause I hate EF but its ok as a lovely statement mapper.

you can do code first if you want to be wrong. databases are not object stores.

I seriously just punted on this poo poo and am using raw ado.net for now. I flat out do not get how ef can be soooo loving lovely. like is this seriously what people use? like in production software and stuff? it's mind boggling