Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

The latter. The former definition has the problem of "what is 6.1 figgies?"

plus you have the problem that when you adding a figgie is multiplying by 10 always (so 100k / 10k = 10, or 10k / 1k = 10).

but now if we add half a figgie the wrong way to 100K, we get to 500K (which is 5x as big), then adding half a figgie more puts as at 1M (which is 2x as big). adding this kind of half a figgie is multiplying by 5 sometimes, and 2 sometimes. bad figgie figuring

Emacs Headroom fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
wouldn't be surprised if some people here made $154.88

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
I like scala a lot for data engineering stuff and some backend, but I dont know why anyone would use it to make apps or really anything where you have to be resource conscious

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
Either gets you most of the way to union types, but the whole idea is bad imo

Also you can also just use maven if you want a build system that doesn't make you suicidal.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
Just gonna stick with Either (or more realistically, implementing interfaces). This hardware stuff is interesting, but people generally aren't writing high-perf code in scala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
this was one of my favorite threads if not my favorite thread on these cursed forums

ive been reading this thread from when i was a wee grad student, and still learn awesome new poo poo every time I pop in here 6 years into my big-boy tech career

hope to still learn poo poo from y'all in whatever place(s) we end up next