Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
i'm pretty happy that the college i went to was staffed by a bunch of old farts who refused to teach their corses in anything but c/c++

my little brother has been coding almost exclusively in java in school (high school and freshman year of college)

at least he's played with arduinos a bit and knows some c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Anal Tributary posted:

hey

ive made views for django and flask before thanks to my terrible collabs with elgruntox

so i can at least confidently pretend to know what i'm talking about

(i like javascript :3:)

i know there's a bit of sarcasm here but seriously, learn some other languages

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

apparently some people prefer the easiness over the speed vOv

these people are wrong

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

poo poo is getting real in this thread

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

freshman going into sophomore year, no formal CS background, going to a poo poo college, no prior references for code besides my github page; it is not good material for that theoretical internship application

maybe next year :smithicide:

rotor demanded your resume and you just pissed in your mouth or something

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

fun fact: some internships have relocation money, and rotor is in the bay area

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

nope, parents + lack of money did. also poor high school gpa, that's obviously on me.

your part is a much bigger part of this than everything else was.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

graph posted:

anal tributary look at what inverse ickarus has to deal with nancy badcoder

you realize nancy badcoder got a job with a big successful company and writes horribad code all day for months

inverse ickarus is now on the chopping block

rly makes u think

my fatal flaw was actually caring about anything

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Janin posted:

Since you're a sophomore, nobody expects you to have done anything useful anyway. Come up with a few small projects suiting whatever area of software development you want to go into.

dude, anal,

i just did internship interviews at two schools, and collected resumes

the majority of undergrad candidates have loving nothing on their resume. some have maybe one team project listed, or just a splattering of course names no one really cares about, but most are like "i took two coding classes i guess?"

we are literally giving an offer to one of them who admitted to "only starting programming 5 months ago, and only IOS apps" (not my project, but someone else in a related group)

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Werthog posted:

welp have fun working at best buy again

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

php:
<?
echo shell_exec('whoami');
?>

you can put commands inside `s to run them

php:
<?
echo `whoami`;
?>

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Carthag posted:

backend's the future btw. let the kids do the graphic poo poo just provide a sw8 api and leave

here's the data

make it pretty

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

rotor posted:

its sort of the equivalent of riding lawnmowers slowly over a decade becoming the standard mode of transportation with all this carlike poo poo crudely welded onto the sides and now your actual car can't drive on the tiny little roads and every time someone raves about some great feature of their new mower like "hey did you hear? the new model John Deeres have these lamps that let you safely drive in the dark so you don't have to carry a flashlight with you! they're called 'headlights!!!" you look back on your audi or lexus or whatever and die a little inside

which particular things are you complaining about? like what browser plugin do you think should be a standalone app but isn't?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

the most rewarding part of development is making poo poo look good and easy to use. obviously i got mad respect for backend dudes who make the poo poo fundamentally work, but i love doing the top layer because i love working on what users see and what defines their user experience

good because i'm not gay and don't like colors

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

rotor posted:

these were all solved problems and your ignorance of history is sadly predictable.

yeah i love how adobe and java handle updates!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Tiny Bug Child posted:

arcane user-hostile procedure

mods, needful

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

chrome is a desktop app that has solved all those issues

When was the last time you noticed an update in that

google had the experience from web apps to learn how to do it right!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

windows ruined the desktop

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

seriously rotor, it's funny you bring up history because people have been whining about abstraction for decades and history has shown them to be the spergiest of the spergs

not to mention computers started with thin clients and it was great and easier to manage

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

my wife's company uses gmail for all their work mail (and for their clients too i guess) and she is really, really pissed off about the gmail change that they "just recently" forced everyone into

every few hours she just screams something like "WHY DO I HAVE TO HOVER TO GET TO MY LABELS?!!!?!?!" really loudly and scares the dogs

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Janin posted:

ps: tell your wife to click+drag the little almost-invisible horizontal line below the labels

wife literally said "gently caress those google assholes, make them fix it"

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

apparently this conversation reminded her of the time they changed the ui on the analytics page and now she's yelling about that again

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

you should probably do something to pacify her

i promised to take her to house in the woord or whatever

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Rufo posted:

buy her an account

e: give her your account

she... has an account

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Janin posted:

she would be way back in line, with all of google engineering up in front.

half of us basically converted to thunderbird/mail.app overnight

"thank you for the tip, i was able to move the thing. don't broke what ain't whatever."
- the wife

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

*sips pbr, adds more whitespace*

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Ps inverse Icarus you need to put out more your wife has major hysteria like I can tell all the way across the Internet

by giving her my ki i am giving her power

i must maintain my power

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

all man style, hard tabs only. that ones not really much of a discussion

i shorten this to "hard man style"

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

ahhh spiders posted:

the company i worked for out of college moved me into their job market

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

420 get promoted to management erryday

i've had managers tell me that i'd make a good manager and my knee-jerk reaction is to shout "OH HELL NO!" and run away

they seriously sit in meetings all loving day

who wants to do that?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

ahhh spiders posted:

:qq: please pay attention to me i'm janin :qq:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

ahhh spiders posted:

nice troll

stop pointing it out

you're boring

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

i made a wireless hygrometer to keep track of the humidity/temp in my humidors for my cigars, but it turns out the arduino will just suck a battery dry for no loving reason

then i got really lazy and some computer game came out and i stopped playing with it

i should really pick it back up

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

ahhh spiders posted:

did you implement any kind of sleep mode or anything

yes, but the sleep is lovely

it still dies after like 11 hours on a 9v battery

i looked into using other types of batteries but a bunch of people online have found the same thing using a bunch of AAs or li-poly whatever

simply running through the arduino's circuit drains the battery, even when it's not doing anything

what i really need to do is make a small circuit on a timer that supplies power to the arduino itself, like rotor told me to months ago, but again, lazy

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

ahhh spiders posted:

lol that's terrible. oh well i guess that's why it costs like $30 or whatever

the best part is that i started out simple with an arduino, a humidity sensor, and a wi-fi "shield" that just snaps on top. for the initial tests i made it send a http request to my server once every 5 miinutes

when I got the ~10 hours of battery life i was like "oh, well, the wifi is always on, i should put that to sleep" so i spent a bunch of time setting up this "deep sleep" mode on the wi-fi shield where the arduino could wake up the wi-fi stuff from its sleep, and made it so it only woke up once every 30 minutes. "this should make it last six times as long!"

but no, the arduino was the power hog the whole time. the battery life was barely any different.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm a Maker. i Make things. also i have no understanding of basic electrical concepts and think LEDs are light bulbs.

this is me

hello

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

mr. tributary, the best way to get interview experience and know what sort of things you'll have to know/do for one is to... actually do an interview!!!

find a job/internship you don't care about in the field you want, or at least related, and apply for it

use it as a practice interview

the worst thing they can do is say no. they don't pass your resume around to other companies and hang it up with "DO NOT HIRE THIS MAN" under it

go to some interviews, fail miserably, and then know what you need to work on going forward

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Werthog posted:

you're in school, you don't need experience to do an internship. that's the whole point of internships, to teach you the poo poo you actually need to know in order to work a real job

Anal Tributary posted:

idk internships still have like interviews and poo poo and i assume they want you to have an actual CS background

yes they have interviews

no you don't need an actual cs background

we just hired a batch of 4 interns and two of them are arguably retarded finance majors who took one or two cs courses

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

nukethewhales posted:

they want you to show interest and enthusiasmin what you'll be learning about at the internship in those interviews

all you have to do to get an internship like the ones we just gave out is appear
1. smart
2. interested in the project
3. eager to learn

one of the people we hired only had one programming-related project on his resume, an ios game to teach children bible stories

loving scu jesuits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Police Academy III posted:

graphs are the most pro-tier data structure, 420 do iterative deepening search everyday

graph theory was my favorite class in college