Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is map when ya wanna expand a range from this to that without wanting to think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i used that poo poo in ue4 blueprints all the time

ue4 blueprints are the best language

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like python and in fact call my Weiner a python and when I discuss my sex life I confuse my friends when I saw I gently caress pythonically

screaming spaces not tabs when I jizz

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s 2pm i at work checking precriptins

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is nice but in 13 years ppl will be like drat get a new bag

whereas if u have a non decsript bag ppl won’t notice or also if u just didn’t come 2 work for a few weeks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“hey that bag guy is 15 mins late better call his mum”

narrator: and on that day a suicide attempt was halted

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

seriously, the gently caress is that? am I missing a reference?

projecting my suicidality and reasoning for having nondescript work luggage 😘👉

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tef posted:

fact check:

- i work from home most of the time
- i don't turn up to the office before 2pm
- also mum's dead

anyway yeah like i said, work let me expense ~ half of it, i work in a fashion startup

mate was just having a joke i think the bag is cool i just hope you change it before 2031

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

the broad point, aiui, is that you need to join the group if you want to succeed in it, and one common way to signal adherence to a group's values is with your attire. i doubt that people on Wall Street are literally saying that sneakers mean you are bad at banking. more like "professionalism is critical at Big Peon Exploiting Bank and dressing well is part of that". even when the dress code is "there is no dress code" it doesn't mean you can wear just anything. three guys at the same level come in to work, one in jeans and t shirt, one in a suit so nice i wouldn't know how to put it on, and one in board shorts, flip flops and a mesh tank top. at least one of them is getting weird looks

quick question in this scenario can I be wearing mesh jorts?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

seems like preferable attire for one selling they b-hole for a graphics card

what are those things every dude in the US wears that goes under they butt cheeks but leaves the poo hole available? jock straps or something?

never seen one in real life. weird country ya got

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rjmccall posted:

those are specifically for holding cups in sports that need them

ugh a "cup" isnt like a mug right? its not for drinking from? its for protecting ya jennies against what? idk? gay grab?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
part of using django to do what im doing is diving into the command prompt on this mac but tell me is the built in terminal a piece of poo poo and do most people use a new one or wat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

most people use iterm2 but it's had some security issues in the past. i've heard the default terminal is fine but i've never tried to get it setup. i don't think it's terrible but i'm not really a stickler. (also ask this in the terrible programmer thread not in this one).

oh yeah lol I thought about which thread to ask in and decided on the other one.. which is why I clearly posted in this one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its not like cmd.com then?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if youre writing a compiler itself do you have a lookup table or some kind of reference for actually making machine readable executables?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo well that's a revelation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

🎵 return of the MAX

regulate with nate dogg

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i had to learn some baby amount of prolog for a class in school, and even that tiny stuff made several galaxy brain explosions go off between my ears

prolog is the one where u don’t code the solution but instead the problem and it works it out for you? surely computers aren’t that brainy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
computers amiright?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

and now every goon in yospos will rush in to insist they too know prolog because in nerd land the worst thing in the world is to admit you lack some piece of knowledge that others posess

this, but also, not, in order to prove you wrong

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is not the thread to battle one another

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
none of this makes any sense to me

but please, carry on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
will your type system consider “8008135” as a number or the string “boobies”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or sucking on these gonads

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hackbunny posted:

not really? think strings, there are so many ways to call two strings "equal". it's the reason why .net has an IEqualityComparer

let's not give dangerous oversimplified lessons. string comparison must not be made easier, in fact it's always been too easy. even something as simple as lowercase vs uppercase for case insensitive comparison is far from trivial - windows uppercases, using a non-standard internal table. the c runtime library lowercases, even on windows, so you really shouldn't compare filenames with wcsicmp (there's even a provision for ntfs volumes to use an internal built-in uppercasing table - special file $UpCase - but I don't know if it's actually used in practice. I really hope not!). and let's not even get into culturally sensitive vs culturally independent casing, and corner cases like the german sharp-S or the turkish dotless I

there used to be an amazing blog about all these subtleties, by microsoft engineer Michael Kaplan, but he died and the blog was taken offline. I didn't learn much because the topic is unimaginably complex but I learned to treat strings like dangerous wild animals

among the things I learned is the kinda brilliant solution microsoft found for efficient contextual collation of strings: transforming text strings into sort keys - binary strings that encode the sorting weights of each character (see LCMapStringEx with the LCMAP_SORTKEY flag). these binary strings can then be cached and efficiently compared with stricmp, giving the same result of comparing the original strings - extremely convenient in places like databases (just remember to store the version information of the sorting data, and reindex if necessary!). SQL Server definitely uses them and I wonder how much work it would be to add support to sqlite, possibly as an extension, because I always find myself having to add user-defined functions

i call bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the alphabet poo poo has been quite enlightening and i’m glad english has hosed up grammar and inconsistent pronounciation rather than dealing with weird looking letters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idea : scrap capital letters they don’t really do anything worthwhile they’re just there for the elite to feel smug about knowing of

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw: “I’ve Heard Of Capital Letters” :smugmrgw: “Do You Have Any GreY PouPon?” :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gonadic io posted:

to be fair it's used in the most important french word, français

you can't have the language without the word for that language! that'd trigger Undefined Behaviour probably

and yet the word alphabet doesn’t contain the entire alphabet that it refers to, and you don’t complain about that?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
american cultural imperialism has pretty much paved the way for just doing everything in english and ignoring everything else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m quote intrigued by the evolution of the word dick into cock, but how we kept using dick anyway and now we have both

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the whole “if we evolved from apes how come we still have apes” thing but with words about my own genitals

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it korean which is the only “designed” language?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mandarin has a different letter for every single word in their language

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

did you quit drinking yet echi

i’ve significantly decreased my alcohol intake this year and am currently aggressively sober (because I am at work)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
general rule : don’t drink when at home

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

and then there’s some words that have one character and one meaning but different pronunciations for some reason? like 血 means blood but it can be pronounced in two different ways and afaict you just pick which way you wanna use it

like tomatoe and tomayto

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve been playing assassins creed origins and so i’m a bit of an expert in highroglyphics and I think most languages could also benefit with the addition of people doing that walk like an egyptian letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tim cook: 🤷‍♂️