Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
it's p funny how yall can go on for a page about which languages are in vogue and which are falling out of favor and php only gets a mere offhand dismissal

web hipsters desperately, desperately want to ignore the fact that php is still here and it's not going anywhere

it outlived perl, it's currently outliving ruby, and it'll outlive node and whatever the flavor of the year after that is. tbh i expect PHPNG to put ruby in the ground once and for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

fart simpson posted:

it's not that funny. php is bad but not very interesting.

"interesting" is not an advantage in a language, despite what the rupythonode crowd says. "lets you get poo poo done quickly, with a minimum of fuss, on a ubiquitous platform" is an advantage, and that describes php to a tee.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

javascript is a perfectly wonderful langauge for adding all kinds of client-side UI glitz to your apps; it's mediocre at best for server-side web development. if it "outlives" PHP as a way to open pop-up windows, ok, i can maybe see that. if node.js or whatever it splinters into is anything but an interesting footnote or a strictly niche thing 10 years hence i'll be pretty surprised

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

tef posted:

the average age of a php programmer is increasing

young ppl don't know what they're doing, no surprise

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

yeah in the one place we use node it's for a socket thing and "sorta works" doesn't even begin to describe it. it's a huge pain in the rear end and the system goes down all the goddamn time

tef posted:

how do you calculate sunrise times in javascript, i mean c'mon what is this

aw cmon tef, "PHP has too many functions" is like the oldest web hipster cliche in the book, they were saying that back in PHP 4 days and it still doesn't matter

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

i hope client side javascript poo poo is a fad that fucks off sooner rather than later

web browser tabs shouldn't slow an honest to god desktop pc to a crawl and use 300MB of memory each

what do you think could possibly replace it? flash? silverlight?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

you don't hate client-side JS. try disabling JS and seeing how much poo poo is irritating or just totally broken. what you hate is idiot designers making poo poo flashy for no reason, which happens any time you give a designer too much freedom

see: that thing Flipboard did where they recreated their entire UI in a <canvas> tag so they could get "60 fps scrolling"

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i typically browse with js and css turned off

sites that break are sites i don't need to read

whatever works for you, but this is the web equivalent of living an off-the-grid log cabin out in Montana rigged up with solar panels and well water

which is to say that it probably loving owns

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

warnings are dumb and bogus

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

static typing is for autists who literally want to create errors in their program where none would exist otherwise. types are a silly idea for 99% of applications cause it rarely matters how the computer stores a value internally.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

In none of these measured points the use of a static type system turned out to have a successful impact. In the first case, the use of a statically typed programming language had a significant negative impact, in the latter one, no significant difference could be measured.

DAAAAAMMMNNNNN

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

One developer? 27 hours over 4 working days? No maintenance coding or extension?

wtf are you talking about there were 49 developers

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

anyway sure maybe it's not a perfect study but given that i have literally seen zero evidence of any benefit to static typing, ever, i feel like the ball is pretty solidly in sperg-typing court now

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

49 teams of one you loving idiot

oh ok i guess that means we should just ignore this and focus on all of the hard evidence for the superiority of static typing, like

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

tbqh, with javascript there was probably a better way to do whatever you were doing than overloading

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

also dont take that as a defense of javascript

javascript is truly a really garbage language and it's such garbage you should avoid most of its 'features' and use a very limited subset of it

you don't need to do any of that stuff. just... learn how prototypical inheritance works instead of expecting class-based oo, and also don't have stupid ideas about types? crockford is an idiot fundamentalist who is actively trying to ruin everything good about javascript. look at how lovely all JSON parsers are nowdays thanks to his idiot purism

i get why people think php is a bad language; i strongly disagree but i at least understand the complaints. ppl who bitch about javascript just bewilder me. there's nothing wrong with it at all

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i think he's talking about one-off objects that don't use prototypes, so it'd be

MyObject = {
foo: function() {
}
}

instead. being able to just make objects on the fly like that and give them whatever properties they need is one of my fav things about javascript but it's v jarring if you expect traditional inheritance everywhere

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

pretend that's indented right cause i'm too lazy to go back and edit in code tags

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i really like that thing where spaces affect precedence, but since all my coworkers seem to think whitespace should be inserted into code at random i will concede that it's probably not a good idea irl

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Athas posted:

Yeah, it kind of makes sense if you get really drunk and/or high first.

i'll bite; why has the sperg programming hivemind decided this is bad?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

hepatizon posted:

If you need any tool other than grep to find all occurrences of a name, you hosed it up

you still don't, just do something like grep -i "butt_?class"

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as with tabs vs spaces i don't care which convention you use, just be consistent

a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, etc etc

much better to have tools that don't care and can work with anything

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Athas posted:

Same things should look the same everywhere. There is no way this feature can be used for Good and not Evil.

if the language draws no distinction between butt_factory and buttFactory then there's no need for it to look the same everywhere and i don't have to waste time going back to see which casing it uses. sounds p Good to me

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

types are a fake idea

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

the idea that types help you write code more easily is a fake idea

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

it's been said that php is just a wrapper around a bunch of c functions and that's kind of true. in a way, it's c for the modern era of the web. it's easier to work with and all the useless stuff like pointers is stripped out

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

triple sulk posted:

kinda this, also kinda old rear end java webapps

lol php will easily outlive ruby

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

man i might get a job doing PHP and did a test on it and man is it bad.

it really sucks.

array_push( umm... the new item to push?, array goes here? no wait other way around ugh )

explode( surely the string to explode goes here, gently caress nope it goes here god drat it )

yes only in php do you have to do things like "put the arguments to a function in the right order". other languages just know what you mean. why has php not implemented this feature yet.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

it has though, we talked about it itt:

ya you can do that with implode() but he was talking about explode()

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Bloody posted:

/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3481275&perpage=40&pagenumber=1171#pti5

who gives a poo poo what the url looks like. "restful urls" or whatever are stupid cause you can only put one meaningful bit of information in them and you gotta use a query string for everything else anyway

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Necc0 posted:

BRACKET ALL IF STATEMENTS YOU loving COWBOY CODERS gently caress gently caress FHDUOFDGF

a. ITYM "braces". [] are brackets, {} are braces

b. you don't need actually need the braces if the thing inside the if is only one line. that way you can save a little bit of space and it looks nicer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Wheany posted:

okay man, i've stood with you every time you've defended php, or at least i have loléd on the sidelines at your wicked ownages

so i have this new intern who's always asking me questions and trying to learn from me and stuff. also, today is our company "free tech day" where the tech crew gets to dick around with something cool as long as it has some possible business benefit or you learn something (i'm brushing up on R)

one of the PMs was like hey i'm gonna teach myself a bit of coding what should i learn. one of the dudes who was over here from the foreign office was like, oh try python, it's pretty easy for a beginner and it'll teach you good coding habits.

the new intern, without any prompting from me, immediately said "oh that's not true you can write bad code in any language and PHP is actually really good now days"

i've taught him so well