Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

gas all threads

ban all posters

launch the servers into the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

idk i'm trying to pick and choose my time

i've had school taking up time. i have to get some sort of job this summer; it's gonna be some retail thing, i've got actual projects i want to do (things in javascript, because that's what i know). so that leaves like not a lot of pure learning time

i'd like to learn c, or maybe lisp, but i don't have anything i'm working on that would really benefit from another language, or any projects i want to start that could use another language.

and plus there's so much more poo poo i have to learn besides just languages. i want to learn redis (not that there's much to learn), mongodb, oh, also how to better-use actual SQL dbs, some basic devops stuff (migrations, deploys, etc). i'd like to learn how to do concurrent programming, wanna play around with functional languages, etc., etc.

oh and i also really need to learn mobile web development. maybe even like iphone app development.

so i have to pick and choose. right now i'm doing emberjs stuff because it's an undeveloped ecosystem where i have a chance to really contribute, i'm pretty good at javascript, and a project i'm working on needed a js mvc framework and i found emberjs easier to get started with than backbonejs.

cool i really like how not only did i mention that libraries exist to mitigate callback hell/spaghetti code, i also namedropped a specific one, and yet you still used this as a point :)
cool none of that matters because you live in bfe without any ambitions for leaving

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

open letter to all so-called southerners

please either get your poo poo together or just kill yourselves. stop being a drain on the country and embarrassing us in front of all the other countries

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

are you loving kidding "without any ambitions for leaving"

did you miss my solid week of attempting to plan a pilgrimage to the bay area
probably. i dont always read yospos

i see "retail [in bfe] this summer" so i guess we see how that went

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

yeah turns out you can't move to the bay area with $50 cash + $200 in your bank account

who knew
turns out you can if you get a big boy internship

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

freshman going into sophomore year
i know freshmen who've got them

quote:

no formal CS background
doesnt matter

quote:

going to a poo poo college,
you picked it

quote:

no prior references for code besides my github page
nobody loving uses references and if you actually bothered to put something decent in your github that would do wonders for you

quote:

it is not good material for that theoretical internship application
no, being a baby isnt good material for that. sounds like you need to nut up

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

the demand for halfway decent devs is so strong out here now that fresh grads are regularly making 100k+ and recruiters are basically going nuts trying to place any talent

what excuse can you possibly come up with

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Ronald Raiden posted:

my excuse for not moving there yet is I am graduating this year and since I have a fulltime dev job for the university I can stay here and get a masters for $0.00 (actually I have to pay fees but no tuition).

I'm not sure if im actually going to stick around here long enough for that or not though.
the opportunity cost of that is much more than $0

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sulk posted:

i need an internship/entry level gig. willing to work anywhere that isn't landlocked or a dull city. can basically start immediately. someone help please :(
yo learn programming first and then well talk

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sulk posted:

is there a book on algorithms/data structures which is actually comprehensible without needing to know a shitload of math
intro to algorithms by clrs has basically no math prereq

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

stop telling sulk to learn new languages. he's already given up at like 3 of them

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

Just tell Sulk to get out

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

wish you'd give up at english so you'd be posting in japanese and then we could ban you for anime
what the gently caress does this even mean

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

don't make me angry, switchboy

he's completely right, you know. the update issue has been solved but none of the major applications bothered to use the solution.

windows developers, not network admins, ruined the desktop

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

its both, but yeah. if osx had been what it is now in 1998, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

and in a way, the desktop IS having great success, but only on iOS.

huh. i hadn't thought about it, but you're right. iOS is receiving way more native code than other platforms are

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

nah, windows didn't ruin it. i would say their worst crime was kowtowing to their retarded partners/devs who demanded so much bullshit. ms should have just told them no, but you dont make billions of dollars doing that so :shobon:

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

my wife's company uses gmail for all their work mail (and for their clients too i guess) and she is really, really pissed off about the gmail change that they "just recently" forced everyone into

every few hours she just screams something like "WHY DO I HAVE TO HOVER TO GET TO MY LABELS?!!!?!?!" really loudly and scares the dogs

your wife sounds like a charming lady

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Janin posted:

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

i wanted to put :ironicat: here, but :ironicat: is not enough. there is not sufficiently ironic emoticon. we must dig deeper. we must go further. we need better. man requires a sufficiently ironic emoticon for this event. we must find it

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

you will remember where you were on this day when janin uttered the dumbest of all possible sentences in the human tongue

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

do both and think both are real easy

being a master of your trade ftw

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

lol at thinking that a linked list with a cycle in it == circular linked list

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

algorithms are common sense. school can't teach you that.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

ppp posted:

you are in for a long day if you are trying to learn computer science and the first thing you think of when you visit that site is that its not unique enough

yeah it's becoming pretty clear he should be in graphic design instead

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

MononcQc posted:

I've been pleasantly surprised by how fun it is to work on that stuff. I used to think the projects I worked on were impressive because we had millions of requests a month and here I am handling more than that each hour.

nobody likes a showoff

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

i wish just a hundred people an hour would look at my company's website

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

yeah ok well last week ten guys from the philippines totally checked out our poo poo and they were impressed

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

he's not going to learn any of that because he's bad at computers

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

seriously, front end guys don't need to know any of that. all they need to do is get poo poo working in all the browsers and leave everything else to the rest of the team

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

i had to write code to generate smooth curves through arbitrary-sized lists of points on a polygon using only quadratic curves, and do it at 30fps so shove your backend elitism up your rear end you mincing loving human being
lol calm down rotor goddamn

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

lets use some hash in a non-sealed bag at teh border to learn about unlawful search and seizure

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

idk, the advantages to immutable strings seem pretty obvious

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

just dont build strings until you have everything ready problem solved

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sulk posted:

one of the biggest problems with many programming languages today is lovely documentation
just because you dont understand programming doesnt mean the documentation is bad

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Sulk posted:

no, it's still often bad
nah

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

i dont care about characters for some weirdo in cambodia hth

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Shaggar posted:

python is trash for hobbyists who cant just use java or c# cause those languages have already solved or trivialized all the problems people use python for.
mods please probate shaggar until he comes up with something better than these weak trolls

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

lol if youre using anything without an equivalent to git stash

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

ppp posted:

something without... revisions :confused: wtf
that's not what git stash does

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

rotor posted:

but its not like a 4 line shell script can't get you the same thing in svn
a good carpenter doesnt blame his tools

he also doesnt excuse them for being bad though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

lol can you imagine what a hellish world it would be if you had to write java in a crapass ide on some old windows using svn or sourcesafe

no vim/emacs
no ci
no good source control
poo poo build times
bad verbose code that requires 3 levels of bureaucracy to change
antivirus runs every two hours
computer infected with malware
nobody sees or uses your product ever and you gotta lie to everyone about what you do

*shudder*