Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tinselt0wn posted:

also in lisp similar languages the program itself is even more data!!!!

makes u think

same with machine code

i guess the lesson is, write machine code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
proofing some outsourced software for a side gig. loly moly.

trex eaterofcadrs fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 6, 2012

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
most of the front end guys i know of are now slaves to bureaucracy and bike shedding. lol when legal starts getting involved.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Rufo posted:

when you formulate a dataflow analysis problem as an instance of a general dataflow framework (by defining an appropriate lattice + dataflow eq'ns + finding the "least" fixpoint of them + evaluating that at the cfg vertex youre interested in) you typically define abs/rep functions for mapping back and forth between the direct program state and the abstracted state. you need to ensure these conjugate pairs of funcs behave correctly. if you use funcs which form a galois connection, you can later use the fusion theorem to prove they still act correctly when you start dicking about with fixpoints

this is prob handwavey to the point of being incorrect cos i'm trying to piece it together by looking at my old notes and i cant remember poo poo. if you want ill try and do a proper writeup later

I want. plus i'm totally curious what method do they use to find the fixpoint

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Rufo posted:

its just mfp/mop, iirc the dragon book has something about it + the result about mop being ideal when ???? whatever the condition was. when something is monotonic?? idk

kind of shocked how much of this stuff ive forgotten :(

don't feel bad, i used to know all sorts of poo poo and now i barely remember my middle name, welcome to getting older.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

fidel sarcastro posted:

this is me

beginner level knowledge of everything, not really good at any of it

pick a couple things, kick the poo poo out of them, move on.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

fidel sarcastro posted:

yep, just need to figure out which things those are going to be

probably wind up hacking some stuff up in perl or ruby, i like those the most out of what i've tried

aim a bit higher. learn something loving hard... i don't have good examples because i'm lame but just learning a language is easy compared to the magnitude of some of the problems you will encounter if you're anything above a code monkey.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Stringent posted:

mmm yes. a thorough understanding of a language is usually a terrible place to start. i mean, how are you gonna motivate yourself to reinvent the wheel if you already know it exists?

maybe it's just me but the complexity of learning the idiosyncrasies of a language is not only boring but it's simply not hard, it's just tedious.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
but i guess if that's all you can handle then aim for that i guess. congrats on your mediocrity

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

fidel sarcastro posted:

tbf i did say make some things, not sit down and read the camel book cover to cover

your comment emphasized language over problem. use whatever language you like man (woman?) just solve the problem well.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ppp posted:

i wouldnt use perl for learning computer science topics

http://perl.plover.com/lambda/tpj.html

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Stringent posted:

the best way to do it is to learn the tools then go find a problem that needs solving. you can worry about the solutions once you've found the problem.

for example, i'm currently working on an iphone app for women who have had to terminate pregnancies due to birth defects. through some voodoo of my own, the screen recognizes when tears are falling on it and pops up a message saying, "Why are you crying? We had a discussion about this you know."

i wish that app was around for your mom when she aborted you

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

nukethewhales posted:

same re: your mother, she might not have changed her mind in a moment of weakness

a shameful combination of "rah rah" and "rubber/glue" posting

perhaps for your next trick you get out

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

R is a complete monster and i use it constantly and it's growing like crazy and has a billion packages to do useful stats crap

but holy christ do not let anyone ever tell you it's anything but retarded as a language

edit: Evaluating the Design of the R Language http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jv/pubs/ecoop12.pdf
"adding an extra (and unneeded) return statement or a pair of parentheses () will impact performance in a noticeable way" what the gently caress

the answer is clojure + incanter

use the best language (a lisp) on the best platform (the jvm) to do cool stats poo poo (via incanter, an R-esque package)

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ahhh spiders posted:

are you for real

all three are good, if you need to do those sorts of things

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
R is really good but it's clear to me it's a stats package first and a language second.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
java would be much more fun to read

code:
public poser List<T> { ... } 

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

check out all the cool things written in python like:

mercurial

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

trash

lol shaggar, your main man java is housed in a hg repo

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
please tell me you use svn

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

of course i use source control (svn)

hahahahhahahhahahahah

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

also every time someone has a problem with svn its because ... multiple people are editing the same stuff.

:stare: holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

rotor posted:

also git is hella slower than svn at my work but idk if that's normal

if you're running windows, it's cause of windows, use mercurial instead

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

MononcQc posted:

Git and Mercurial and distributed source control is usually worth it if only because it lets you work and commit stuff without being connected to whatever server. Oh, how hilarious it is when some server crashes or network splits and half a day of work is lost to some lovely source control software that works over the network without ever thinking the network could go out for some reason.

i don't use git a lot cause i became an hg fag first, but one thing i immediately noticed about hg is how much faster it was at calculating changes than svn. even if i just used hg like a svn replacement and didn't use anything else, it was a huge gain just from that

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

rotor posted:

the cool thing is when someone loses a bunch of work because they accidentally delete their local repo

consider it like a canary. if your idiot coworkers delete their local repo, perhaps you should gtfo

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
man this thread is about to hit peak trolling

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

ahhh spiders posted:

that's just lazy undersexed nerd crap though. look at some of the giant diatribes about how women shouldn't be in "male" professions

one guy went out of his way to point out what will happen to "family values" or some poo poo if women don't stay in the kitchen

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Sulk posted:

does anyone in here use cakephp or know anything about it

don't ask why i'm asking about it. just tell me how much less miserable it makes php on a scale from "still really miserable" to "5% more tolerable" but i'm assuming it's still really miserable and you'd be better off with drupal

drupal is pretty bad too

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

im kinda pissed at java guys, they act like gc is super cool and everyone should use it and then when your heap gets over a couple gigs they're like "oh, you were going to *use* that heap? lol sucks to be you". at this point it looks like my best option is to break the one monster jvm into a bunch of little ones that can full collect independently and do something dumb to serialize requests to each baby jvm. all because I'm too dumb to manage my own memory and don't get to have memory pools

how big is your heap? have you looked into azul

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
that's actually not a horrible strategy; spin up worker vm's with huge heaps every time you need to run a job and reclaim them immediately when the job is complete.

there's other mechanisms i heard about from azul like using some huge bytebuffer as some kind of scratchpad and never letting go of it but i've never had to go above ~ 8GB of heap and definitely never needed to gc that much so good luck i guess :/

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

you also have to remember that some ruby people think wearing a helmet is key to extreme programming

hand on mouse? not programming.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

fidel sarcastro posted:

i'm pretty sure it still needs programmers

two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Internaut! posted:

that reminds me, so that flash guy I mentioned who interviewed at google didn't get the job but he's determined to learn the foundations of CS and whatnot so I said to get cormen and k&r but is there an accessible book that describes computer languages/compilers/runtimes, like the process from writing a line of HLL code through to it being executed

I can't remember if k&r covers compiler basics or runtime execution basics like how the stack and heap works etc, I know cormen doesn't

lil bit beyond that but:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Elements-Computing-Systems-ebook/dp/B004HHORGA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336768358&sr=8-2

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

yeah pretty much

what's that quote about "of all the six numeric types in java none match the ones identified by aristotle" or whatever

that was tim sweeney of EPIC MEGAGAMES and he was talking about how cool haskell is

Tim S posted:

Factoid: C# exposes more than 10 integer-like data types, none of which are those defined by (Pythagoras, 500BC).

beware, comic sans approaches
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/%5C~dpw/popl/06/Tim-POPL.ppt

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Internaut! posted:

:stare:

I don't even wanna know

it is awesome

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
groovy is kinda sorta sponsored by vmware, by virtue of them buying most of the dudes who made it and grails

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Internaut! posted:

did not know this

if I worked in a mixed OS environment I'd probably look at it harder, as a portable language with syntax and features designed for conciseness, tons of convenience methods for dealing with file system/properties files/xml/rdbms, and full java lib interop sounds a hell of a lot better than the bash scripts we use

it's ok, i used to be a real groovy fag but now i just use it for xml processing and grails (i did write an edi builder in it that was pretty bad rear end, it was good for that too)

it has some syntactic and semantic idiosyncrasies from when the language was young that have carried into the 1.8 release that are supposed to get fixed by 2.0. little edge case-y poo poo that will burn your rear end. its got some pretty leaky abstractions and once i saw clojure i was like "welp sorry groovy"

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

eclipse owns. sorry ur dumb or w/e

both eclipse and rcp are loving terrible holy poo poo never again

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

So I just learned that Python iterators throw an exception to indicate end of sequence

what the gently caress kind of amateur hour horse poo poo is this

in my head i thought "no way"

sure enough:

http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#iterator-types posted:

iterator.next()

Return the next item from the container. If there are no further items, raise the StopIteration exception. This method corresponds to the tp_iternext slot of the type structure for Python objects in the Python/C API.

guido....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

can't you just pass a block to the iterator instead of doing scrub poo poo like writing your own loops?

code:
i = (1..5).each #=> #<Enumerator: 1..5:each>
i.each {|n| puts n }
# prints:
# 1
# 2
# 3
# 4
# 5

idk poo poo about python cause i went ruby instead but wouldn't that use the same "feature" just under the covers?