Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
everybody's favourite plang is getting a jit. i'm kind of surprised by how basic it is, but i guess you gotta start somewhere and start simple

the way it's been implemented (with the build time c functions getting compiled into "templates") seems like a huge hack, but then i have literally no idea about how jits are normally implemented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Maybe they should just write a new language instead. They could call it (shaggar voice) c#

p#

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

jython was really useful as a scripting engine for java apps so people didn’t have to touch java unless they wanted to. what killed it was the difficulty of reimplementing everything to support python3.

nowadays you simply run a copy of v8 in a subprocess

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

manic pixie dream plang

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

tef posted:

today i learned that ?>!:,< is a valid key name in yaml

i think a parser that breaks compat with the spec for this is fine, tbh

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

in js, unary + is very useful: "coerce to number"

here's a better way: Number(val)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

even if some sort of low-level cross-platform graphics library is a good idea to build into a stdlib, i do not think that c++ is the lang that should pioneer this

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

"i want Fart.txt and fart.txt to be different files". this is why unix-brains shouldn't be allowed to design anything that regular users can interact with

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

now do "㶷.txt" and "𤈎.txt" should those be different op?

im leaving that in the well-qualified hands of the unicode committee

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

would your filesystem and os need to keep up to date with new unicode versions?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Visions of Valerie posted:

yes, the people who brought us han unification surely won't gently caress this up in any way

actually han unification is fine, according to white people on the internet

Sapozhnik posted:

Should have done Latin-Greek-Cyrillic unification as well while they were at it

D, Δ, Д are all basically the same letter, if the user really about that character's exact appearance then they can choose a region-appropriate font

ah, no, this is different from han unification because

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Bloody posted:

i didnt look at it but why do we need another configuration thingy. or is this a programing language for generating configuration thingys. just use xml

it's for generating things, so you mean "just use xslt"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

i do think its extremely funny that pkl has swift codegen but no xcode support

not even apple developers want to build poo poo for xcode. i assume they just open vscode to write pkl even if they're using its output in xcode

from everything i've heard about xcode, this is a wise and pragmatic decision

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh i also think it is a welcome permanent shift to really high-level glue most detail work happens at coupled with computational cores suitable for the tasks.

python might be replaced, but i don't think it'll ever be replaced by something that is suitable for every level of an application, because once used to this setup there are some real big advantages to it.

java script

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

CrashLoopBackOff

im begging infra people: please stop thinking about everything in terms of kubernetes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

yeah, a good question to ask him (and then the thread) is "what do you want to do with that knowledge?"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

the answer would be “get out of pharmacy where I have to deal with humans”

ah, then probably some Business Languages Used For Business. java or c# (the latter is popular in nz), python, golang, php. pick one, make a web thing in it, add features to the web thing. add a database to the web thing, and use this as an opportunity to learn sql (don't just use the ORM or whatever that the language comes with). js is always useful because they'll inevitably end up doing something to a front end.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

right, the 1:1 hipster clone of react that solves none of the actual underlying problems but hey you get props and state as parameters to render() and you can define attributes called "class" instead of having to rename it to cssClass or whatever. react and preact are definitely the least-bad options for web development, and they have become ubiquitous for a reason (because the alternative is some flavor of MVCrap or other) but they have some glaring issues nonetheless.

(i use preact)

vue is good, although they have been bitten by React Fever and have introduced react-style hooks and poo poo in vue 3. so maybe i should say vue was good

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

that's because macos also has linux brain

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

depending so tightly on implementation characteristics behind IWhatever that you can’t actually substitute anything anyway

so just like every other interface

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

dynamic linking works great on operating systems designed by professionals

yeah, it'll be great if we ever get one someday

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Bloody posted:

is awk web scale

yes, but you'll want to containerize it so it uses consistent versions of the various math libraries it depends on

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ultimately the main thing that i loved about k/kdb/q was first class tables as a data structure. in my experience it did *a lot* for program structure in a dynamically typed language. you just naturally wind up writing all interfaces in terms of tables, including then proper names for things and a typespec.

a table is just a pretty human-friendly format. while also being pretty much gold standard for things to write out to storage.

afaik ij's lil is quite unique among the open source descendants to pick that part up.

the children yearn for the mines excel spreadsheets

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

sounds more like mainframes

and what is a mainframe but a proto-excel?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

matti posted:

so I'm working on an XML shorthand.

this is probably valid and well-formed html5

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

S-experessions are easy to write and parse and unambiguous

code:
(html
  (head
    (title "Example mark-up"))
  (body
    (h2 "Row 6 (z-)")
    (ul (li "If /z-/ starts an utterance or is after /n&#204;&#8222;/:"
          (ul (li "Before /-a -u, -e, -o/:"
                (ul (li "/z-/ is a" (a :href "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_alveolar_affricate"
                                       "voiced alveolar affricate")
                                    (span :class :ipa "[d&#205;&#161;z]"))))
              (li "Before /-i, -y-/:"
                (ul (li "/z-/ is a" (a :href "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_alveolo-palatal_affricate"
                                       "voiced alveolo-palatal affricate")
                                    (span :class :ipa "[d&#205;&#161;&#202;&#8216;]"))))
        (li "If /z-/ does not start an utterance and is not after /n&#204;&#8222;/:"
          (ul (li "Before /-a -u, -e, -o/:"
                (ul (li "/z-/ is a" (a :href "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_alveolar_fricative"
                                       "voiced alveolar affricate")
                                    (span :class :ipa "[z]"))))
              (li "Before /-i, -y-/:"
                (ul (li "/z-/ is a" (a :href "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_alveolo-palatal_affricate"
                                       "voiced alveolo-palatal affricate")
                                    (span :class :ipa "[&#202;&#8216;]")))))))

we can replace the unnecessary (s with whitespace,

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

12 rats tied together posted:

normally im down with weird markup language poo poo but if you've set out to create a version of xml that is easier for humans to read and write you ought to just use yaml instead

12 yamls tied together

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

redleader posted:

12 yamls tied together

hmm. to tie 12 yamls together, you would need to prefix each one with three dashes, and append three dots after each one, so you know when each document is complete. no other markup lang has this feature, for some reason

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

need to save user preferences?

no, you don't

if their preferences were really that strong they could patch the program and recompile it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Share Bear posted:

the general attitude from the outside seem to be; you're just supposed to know which functions to use, and if you don't, and if you havent read the spec, you shouldn't be a C/C++ programmer

like not even a linter or static analyzer that's like "hey you cant use memcpy() (or whatever this is the first one that poppped into mind) anymore"

there are six thousand c functions called things like strlncpy and strnl_cpy and lnstr_nlcpy_st and if you use one of the 5998 old, wrong ones then your program will result in the complete takeover of your machine. and different platforms will have different subsets of these functions available

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

it's fitting that every pointer in c comes with an asterisk

thread title

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

rjmccall posted:

i mean you can’t actually program the real machine. you can optimize for its capabilities, but it doesn’t have a direct interface and very much isn’t designed to stand on its own separately from the isa. and it’s usually much easier to optimize for its capabilities in a language like c than a language with a less braindead programming model

nice. we can optimize our already-fast computers with only a small cost of using the lang designed from the ground up to create security holes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

so here’s an interesting thing happening in languages

not a fan of anything that makes cpp less unappealing tbh. let it die.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i do wonder if c# aot compilation would address the startup time concerns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

redleader posted:

there are six thousand c functions called things like strlncpy and strnl_cpy and lnstr_nlcpy_st and if you use one of the 5998 old, wrong ones then your program will result in the complete takeover of your machine

can't believe i get to quote the most accurate post i've ever made, mere pages later