Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Ronald Raiden posted:

my excuse is better than anal volcano's :smaug:

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

c is splendiferous

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

THC posted:

learning it after years of java and I hate it. its yucky. I thought it would be more like C but its not its got a bunch of weird poo poo

just use the underlying C functions then if it bothers you that much. ObjC is like a tiny little layer on top of C.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

tef posted:

I almost forgot https://gist.github.com/295200

:whatup:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Mail.app was good enough for Steve, it's good enough for me.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

i'll be honest if python's standard library wasn't such a loving disorganised mess I'd probably use python more

yes let's mix every identifier capitalisation style ever. also let's have "pickle" and "cpickle" and the only difference between the two is that the second has a faster(?) underlying implementation. ok chief.

also the GIL is frankly shameful.

basically what i'm saying is that i'm a mong

the GIL isn't part of the standard library, it's an implementation detail of c-python. python 3 also does a lot to clean up the std lib, which is a good thing.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Rufo posted:

shaggars gimmick has got boring

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

sorry forgot to mention im tethered to bumfuck az does that make a difference????

o thou defense contractors please bestow unto me thy sweet sweet government money

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

sorry forgot to mention im tethered to bumfuck az does that make a difference????

o thou defense contractors please bestow unto me thy sweet sweet government money

where in AZ? I get job offers/head hunters twice a month in Tucson for various programming jobs.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

My version control software works like this.

Your version control software works like that.

Git/hg are fine if you need the distributed features. However, it's not like svn is somehow garbage for olds. My 9-5 is a PBS/NPR affiliate (re: donation funded!) and we have solid enough infrastructure for svn. If the server went down, which it never has, I would just, I don't know, not commit my changes until it cam back up?

Not every development team is geographically and time separated, which IMO are e best factors for choosing something like Git or hg.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

rotor posted:

RoR is a great prototyping environment, and there's easy (relatively easy) paths to porting it to something more performant.

So the idea that you just want to get your poo poo up and functional asap and gently caress scaling until it actually becomes an issue is a perfectly reasonable choice in some circumstances.

no rotor, I need to handle 1,000,000 hits a day by the third week. This will be a billion dollar a year business in two years.*

*thing I heard from a potential client before laughing so hard I had to actually walk away

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

but did u get stock shares

if they ever sell I'll probably get a lawyer and sue on spec

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

If your python code isnt full of try/catch/finally blocks you're doing it wrong and making Guido cry.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Shaggar posted:

eclipse is deffo the best ide. intellij sucks and you have to make up for its suckatude w/ terrible shell scripts.

just look at this wrong post. IntelliJ is gods own IDE. (it's why the world is hosed [god is a programmer {programmers are awful}])

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

tinselt0wn posted:

it was more data warehousing and updated once a day/once a week, and not constant writes, so i dunno

data warehousing is pro, and it's much smarter to have your application & db design made for performance/scaling or whatever you need, and have a real data warehouse for reporting.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

rotor posted:

ugh, logging frameworks

I'm loving sentry and raven for python.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Percona is fine, it's too bad there still isn't an equivalent of pgbouncer for MySQL that's as good though.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

postgres can do everything short of creating a db in a transaction and it owns

and yet people still actually choose to use mysql in tyool 2012

some people have fairly substantial mysql installs and want to move to postgres but need to maintain ~7 years of data :(

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

multigl posted:

some people have fairly substantial mysql installs and want to move to postgres but need to maintain ~7 years of data :(

some one please help me convert from mysql to postgres tia

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

I'm a strict programming textualist. The only documentation I need is the original code itself, not some activist wiki.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Milkie Galore posted:

i getmost of my ideas whilst in the shower tbh maybe u should try that

trouble is i lose all motivation after

good ideas tho

same

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

java sucks but the best ide is written in in.

intellij idea.

that's the best.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Sweeper posted:

is jvm backwards compatibility that bad?

yes. everytime I deploy a new application server that needs to the IBM informix sdk, the sdk will only install with a very specific jdk file that I spent two afternoons figuring out with version would actually work.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

rotor posted:

say what you will about flash but you just dont see that kind of poo poo in the flash world. poo poo written literally over a decade ago still runs fine without modification.

java is the run anywhere but on java platform.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Panic! At The cisco posted:

this is a bad post and you should feel ashamed for having made it

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

tef posted:

mostly people who care about the impact of garbage collection, no matter how often that belief is misguided.

really, unless you're power constrained or resource constrained or real time, gc is a no-brainer. and gc is not the be and end all of automatic memory management either.

yeah it's a good thing mobile phones aren't power or resource constrained and therefor excellent candidates for garbage collection.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Shaggar posted:

verbosity in the java style is good because its easy to quickly understand whats going on.

the terrible shorthand shitshow that is the python standard style is one of the biggest reasons i hate python

you don't actually need to post here anymore, thanks.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If you work hard at being clear in your naming, you’ll also rarely need to write comments for the code. Comments are generally only needed when you failed to be clear enough in naming. Treat them as a code smell.

comments are great for introducing new developers to a code base, and can make turning private objects into public apis easier.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

SVN merging is scary if you don't have robust CI.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

gnarly ? i barely gnu her.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

Meiwaku posted:

What should the other 3 cores on my laptop be doing if I've maxed the first core? Provide emotional support?

I peg all 24 cores on my workstation regularly...

I'll peg your 24 corse

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

gucci void main posted:

:( i figured as much, it and pycharm look like more hassle than they're worth

pycharm is awesome

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

I'm not a very good programmer, but that's okay. I like working with good programmers and learning, and achieving things that are neat or add value.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

I really like managing programmers :shobon:

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

yes, follow the advice of an idiot programmer

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

i care passionately about something i dont use, here are some of my opinions,

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

write programs for fun and profit

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

suffix posted:

yeah you really should have 100% test coverage on large p-lang projects. that's it, that's the whole trick.

luckily even the worst p-lang mock utils i've used are tons better than anything i've found for java. it's not like writing tests in p-langs is hard.

jetbrains pycharm is actually pretty good

jetbrains stuff is insanely good. the analysis tools and type inferencing in pycharm is awesome.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

every so often I take a look at angular to see how it's progressed. It's maturing into a truly awful thing.

also, django + django-rest-framework is really convenient to use.

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

sorry you can't hang with the grown ups, javascript is the past, present and future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

i have strong opinions about sorting,