Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# is alot more annoying to use than java but most people dont really use the arcane and useless features that math spergs demand so its not so bad. it also means theres no reason for those features to be in the language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
middleware owns cause everyone uses all the good tools + languages unlike in 99% of frontend and some backend stuff.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes correct. java and eclipse are the best tools + languages.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the stuff i write.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
functards cant imagine people actually doing stuff w/ computer other than math so they hate good languages. its like when *nixtards got mad when command line stuff went away 20 years ago.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont think tomcat counts as middleware but it owns.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fren posted:

train shaggar and tbc to pet island so we can have a non-retarded discussion about programming languages

yes lets all unironically discuss which bad functional language is popular this week. great thread idea.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all man style, hard tabs only. that ones not really much of a discussion

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

shaggar what do you think of generics in java ?

good enough for most situations. type erasure makes certain cases annoying but w/e.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fren posted:

or really just anything except comparing c# to java to c++ ad nauseum

yeah lets not compare the only languages used in real computing. that would be dumb.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java enums are great, btw.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
objc is like they took all the bad parts of c++/c#/java and put them together.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah java separates low demand features outside the core runtime+libraries in order to keep unfinished or uncommon crud out of the core. then, using the jcp, features that are determined to be stable and highly in demand may make it into the core runtime/library distribution. this allows new standards and features for java to be developed in a community oriented fashion while maintaining core stability.

unlike python or earlang where unfinished crud is the core.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use it to notify u that mom restocked the dew

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wow. guess shes not getting anything for mothers day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i was thinking about getting an arduino but i couldnt think of any problems 2 solve.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wth do they call the addons shields?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

javascript is a terrible language

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hey guys lets make a simple scripting language for browsers so u can pop a window or a message when a user clicks a thing

*web "development" slippery slopes into javascript libraries and gpu based compilers*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

it has nothing to do with the platform, the language itself sucks

the language is bad b/c it was never meant to be a language. no one would think to write a complex thing in vbscript and javascript is like the same thing. it was never designed to do what it does now and its evolution is a direct result of lovely web "developers" not realizing it was meant to be replaced by something better.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah there is. theres lots of better stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java/c# and xaml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or really bytecode + xaml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i cant wait till some web "developer" comes up with the idea of precompiling javascript before sending it to the client and everyone freaks out in amazement that its 1995 again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stringent posted:

how the hell are you gonna ssh into the live server and edit precompiled javascript?

im sure the server will compile it in real time just to make sure they dont do anything too smart

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

OH poo poo I'VE BEEN SHAGGARED

oh thank god now i'll actually be able to read ur posts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if someone asks you about pointers its a good sign u should get up and walk out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your user experience is a piece of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sweeper posted:

look guys the algorithms that people care about aren't that complicated

they're also in the standard lib so you dont really need to know more than what to use when and what resources it will use

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
graphs are cool but i've only had 2 irl things i've solved with them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
python is trash for hobbyists who cant just use java or c# cause those languages have already solved or trivialized all the problems people use python for.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

mods please probate shaggar until he comes up with something better than these weak trolls

check out all the cool things written in python like:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but dont worry, pythons not really for making things in. python is all about the language. everything is left half implemented so you can implement it yourself!

have some super specific syntax that no one but you will ever use?? great! theres a good chance that it will make it into the next version of python!

so what if just about every other language has a working library for that common task! in python there are a wide range of unfinished libraries that you can pick from to fix. or start your own!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

mercurial

trash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

battlefield 2

mostly trash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bf2 had the worst netcode ever of any game

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
doesnt make it good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
of course i use source control (svn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if i wanted to not use source control then maybe i'd use git or something? idk if it really matters what you use at that point.