Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Silvyfox posted:

WRITING

http://www.hemingwayapp.com/

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, and I'd like to bring it to the thread's attention. Hemingway is a lightweight editing tool designed to pick out long, unwieldy sentences. I like it, even though it tends to tear actual Hemingway apart.

It's basically a roided out version of Editminion, with a much simpler interface. I use it to point out problematic places in the manuscript itself. It helps me to pinpoint where sentences meander off into the distance and need to be reigned in. loving commas are going to be my crutch for life. :arghfist::saddowns:

Just used this and it's pretty handy. While you don't have to always trust its results, it's good for allowing you to make a conscious decision about whether you need to have that adjective there, or use passive voice here, or a long sentence there.

Also according to another TDer I shared it with on the Thunderdome IRC, it thinks "lilly" is an adjective, so it's not infallible! It is helpful though and I got some edits for this week's submission out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU