Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I have a similar question to codo27's- haven't made a GIF in like a decade and for some reason it seems like it's way harder to do with free software than it was back then. I got thirty frames- I want to create a loop of: hold on Frame 1 for a couple seconds, cycle 2-29 at 24fps, hold on Frame 30 for a lil while, cycle 29-2 at 24fps

it seems like it should be rly simple but I can't find an easy way to do it without buying Photoshop, which isn't rly an option rn lol

NERD poo poo AHEAD:
codo- I haven't worked in IT since like 2002, but I've been a freelancer since then and I'm reacquainting myself with the field to get a coding or infosec job with health insurance- here's what I've managed to do, as I understand it w/computerbrain:
-use a downloader service to download a youtube video as an .mp4 (other formats might work with this method, but .mp4 doesn't artifact as hard as, say, .mkv)
-open the .mp4 in VLC and use the record feature (might have to turn on advanced controls) on the part of the video I wanna giffify- on Windows, a snip will show up in the /users/username/ folder, I'm guessing it's prolly ~/ in Linux and also maybe on Mac
-set up the GIMP Animation Package and use the new Video menu to 'extract frames from video'- it'll pop up a dialog for selecting which frames you wanna extract and how- this will result in a GIMP environment with each frame loaded as a layer
-crop the stack of layers to the desired dimensions
-now ideally, ya SHOULD be able to make GIMP animate the layers the way you want at this stage, but, well there are problems I'll mention inna bit
-instead, I have both exported all layers as separate .xcf files (gimp's native filetype), and also as a .ora archive which opens in 7zip as an archive full of .pngs
-from here I feel like there should be a rly easy way to tell a computer 'do this'- I haven't hosed with imagemagick except to do quick filetype conversions and scaling, maybe that's the solution, but this is like one of the very few times I'd prefer a GUI, lol

if any of that's kinda muddy, you should be able to rtfm your way through it like w/any other piece of software, available documentation out there is p good-

the problem arises in using GIMP GAP- it was last updated a decade ago, for Gimp 2.6.x, so it doesn't play nice with 2.10+. You have to do some workarounds to get GIMP to use it at all, and half the scripts don't work anymore, or don't work as intended. Additionally, GIMP animations can only use 256 colors for the whole animation, instead of 256 different colors for each frame, so I even more don't wanna downgrade my GIMP install or struggle with putting 2.6 on here in parallel with 2.10 to make it work
NERD poo poo ENDUT

so- is there a free option to animate these PNG frames I have, besides Photoshop? Open source would be ideal, but freeware will work, too- I'm just a lil wary of closed-source freeware since it's the kinda thing that sometimes tries to stealth-install an Ask Jeeves search bar or something. Looking around, there are free super simple solutions that don't give me enough control over holding a frame, or are a huge pain in the rear end where I gotta sort hundreds of copies of frames in the exact order I want them, etc. I have Sony Vegas on my desktop PC, but it's broken rn in a way that needs $$$ to fix, and all I got is this laptop from 2010 which might struggle to muster the RAM/CPU for a full video editing suite

anyway. what programs, specifically, are ppl using to turn frames into magic movin pictures??? do they make free ones for poors?

e: lol just noticed that was from like two weeks ago :x

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

in case anyone refers to this, figured it out with some help

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you're comfortable on the commandline, ImageMagick can do that. IIRC it's something like

convert -delay 25 1.png -delay 4.16 2.png -delay 4.16 3.png -delay 4.16 4.png -delay 4.16 5.png ... -delay 25 30.png -delay 4.16 29.png -delay 4.16 28.png ... out.gif

The delay is given in centiseconds (hundredths of a second) and unfortunately as far as I can tell has to be specified for every individual frame if you want a variable-framerate GIF.

so like- gettin comfy with a GIMP, VLC, imagemagick, and maybe gifsicle toolchain might be a good first step?