Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bringing this over to the new thread in case someone finds it useful.

12.04 has a big ol' bug with the Broadcom B43 wireless chipset, used in a number of laptops, notably old Dell Inspirons. This bug will prevent the installer or liveCD from booting, and if you get the OS installed (maybe you did an upgrade from an older Ubuntu version), it'll prevent your entire system from booting, hanging up at the Ubuntu 'dots' loading screen.

Fortunately, there's a workaround, and a way to fix it properly once the system is installed.

First up, getting the CD to boot. We just need to keep the toxic b43 driver from being loaded, and we can do that at boot-time. Boot from the CD or USB to the first menu. On the option you want (probably 'Install Ubuntu,') hit TAB to edit the boot options. At the end of the long line of boot options, add this: b43.blacklist=yes (Make sure you put in a space to separate it from whatever's before it, probably a '--'.) How hit F10 to boot, and the installer will run normally, although the wireless won't be working.

Once the install finishes, you'll reboot into your new system, but it'll hang again at the same spot. So we need to get back at the kernel parameters. Hold down SHIFT during boot to get to the grub menu, and on the default option, hit 'e' to edit the command, and this time put the b43.blacklist=yes at the end of the line that starts with 'linux'. (Again, make sure to put a space before it.) Now you can boot up into your system, again, without wireless, so you'll have to plug in an ethernet cable.

Once there, you can fix the problem for good by installing the package firmware-b43-installer -- I think it's in the software center, or you can do a good old-fashioned 'sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer' at a command prompt. Reboot one more time and now you're golden.

Ah, the joy of Linux. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Daynab posted:

I'm pretty new at Linux, and tried Ubuntu a while back but it just seemed so... bloated. Like having 30 different programs already preinstalled that I don't need.

Is there any alternative Ubuntu where the distro is lightweight, has the necessary stuff installed but lets me choose what programs I actually want to get in the first place?

I looked at Lubuntu and Xubuntu but I'm not exactly sure of the differences beyond the UI.

The only real difference there is the default desktop environment, so you'll get pretty much the same assortment of installed programs. The intent with Ubuntu (and its various sub-versions) is to give you a relatively complete system right out of the box, so you don't have to go chase down a media player or office suite or whatever.

If you'd prefer to start with a cleaner slate and/or have more choices at install time, straight-up Debian might be more to your taste.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Slopehead posted:

Seeing all this talk about issues with 12.04 LTS has scared little 'ol me into seriously considering just keeping this new tower I cobbled together on 11.10 until the first point release comes out. It boots, wifi works, and it doesn't look like it's going to explode anytime soon so why tempt fate, right?

There's no compelling reason to rush in, no. I like to try out the latest releases on experimental machines, but the system that I use every day for actual work and screwing around on the Internet is still on 10.04LTS. Same for a couple of servers. There's another year to go before the security updates stop coming out for it, so I've got plenty of time. Meanwhile I'm happy with what I have.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Question for ShadowHawk (or anyone else who might know): why were screensavers completely removed from Unity? I'd always thought it was really weird that the guy in charge of gnome-screensaver absolutely refused to let you access any settings, but removing the entire thing seems even stranger.

I know it's pretty straightforward to put in xscreensaver and get back your bouncing cow, but I can't figure out why it isn't there in the first place. Is it part of the process to get Ubuntu ready for tablets?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Does anyone use the Ubuntu One cloud service? I'm on the lookout for one that isn't Dropbox but is cross-platform. Would goons recommend it?

I'm just trying out SpiderOak and it looks great so far. Join the goon referral chain here (and try not to have horrendously bad timing like I did and fork the chain): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420383

Once you're signed up, put in the promo code worldbackupday to increase your storage to 5 gigs, and get another gig when the next goon uses your referral code (which you can generate here).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm seriously interested in putting Lubuntu on my HP Mini 311 netbook since I don't really use it for anything really important and I've always wanted to actually learn how to work in a Linux environment. The only really "specialized" software I need to run regularly is the Airport Configuration Utility, and apparently I can run it through Wine.

Is there any good reason I shouldn't do this?

Nope. The really neat thing about this is that there are several levels of "trying it out" before you commit to anything. First of all, make a bootable USB key and run the complete OS from that, LiveCD style, without touching your hard drive at all.

Interested enough to do a proper installation, but still want to keep your Windows untouched? You can use wubi to put an entire Linux filesystem inside one big honkin' file on your existing Windows filesystem, and use Windows' own bootloader to boot to it. Decide you hate Linux? Boot back into Windows and uninstall Wubi, and everything's back the way it was.

Once you're ready to take the plunge, you can run the "real" installer off the same USB key you used to boot the live distro. And even then, you can resize your Windows partition if you want, and keep it perfectly intact and bootable.

Trying out Linux (Ubuntu especially) is CRAZY easy these days.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

pienipple posted:

I used Mint 11 and 12 but their Gnome 3 implementation isn't any better than Unity to me. I ended up switching to Xubuntu and I'm satisfied with that.

So if you're a crusty old bum like me that misses Gnome 2, try Xubuntu. If you hate the faux dock panel at the bottom, right click on it to mess with the preferences. I have it as a regular solid bar with my quick launch stuff and open windows.

Agreed. I've never cared for the dock metaphor, but with only a little tweaking you can turn it off, and make the Xfce interface into something that Gnome 2 users would find very familiar. It's an excellent place for Unity refugees to land.

However, every now and then I like to play around with the various desktop environments just to keep current. And this time I'm starting to wonder if maybe something has gone very wrong with my brain. You see, for some crazy reason... Gnome 3 doesn't really bug me anymore. I mean, it still wouldn't be my first choice for actual work, but somehow its basic UI concepts no longer irritate and offend me. And I don't know why.

My brain. My poor brain. :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Colonel Sanders posted:

Is the Gnome 2 fork Mate any good? What about LXDE vs XFCE?

Mate is pretty much exactly Gnome 2, with a bunch of names changed around to avoid conflicts. It works exactly like Gnome 2 always has. But there seem to be only four people on the project, and there are some very big jobs ahead of them on their roadmap (like eventually porting everything to GTK3). I wish them luck, but realistically I'd say Mate is more of a stopgap solution than a long-term one.

LXDE and Xfce are both fantastic lightweight DEs, and choosing between them really boils down to a matter of taste.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Silly Ubuntu vs. Mint question. On a fresh install, some fonts in Firefox are a strange-looking narrow thing, especially noticeable here on SA:

But installing the MS fonts as part of ubuntu-restricted-extras always fixed that and made it look normal:

At least, on Ubuntu it always did. But I'm trying out Mint, and installing that package doesn't fix it -- the font is still that narrow one. All other settings are just the Firefox defaults. I don't know a drat thing about fonts; can anyone point me in the right direction?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

More productively, do you have the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package installed? That's the one that actually grabs the MS fonts.

Aha! Turns out the package was installed, but it hadn't actually retrieved the fonts at install time.

I had installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer from the Mint software center, and it certainly appeared to work fine. But on your tip I decided to try purging and reinstalling it with good old apt-get. Up came the EULA screen... which, come to think of it, hadn't shown up at all when I installed it from the Mint software center. Hmm. Anyway, once the install finished properly, everything worked. If I find time, I'll see if I can repeat the problem and send them a proper bug report.

Many thanks! Oh, and not to worry, I'm not abandoning Ubuntu. Just checking out the level of spit and polish in Mint's Cinnamon and MATE editions. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Lysidas posted:

12.04.1 is out.

Dell users rejoice, the liveCD no longer locks up on boot if you have a Broadcom B43 wireless chipset! :toot:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I go to get 12.10, but before giving me a download link, Canonical hits me up for a donation. (And if you skip the donation, it starts a download for 12.04LTS, not the new one. Hmm.) So I get 12.10 from the torrent link instead, load it onto a test system with no problems, and boot to the Unity desktop. The first thing that I notice is the Amazon referrer link, prominently placed on the Launcher. The next thing I notice is that Amazon ads are taking up almost the entire Dash.

Um... not to be indelicate, but is Canonical hard up for cash? Like, Shuttleworth's going hungry and the water's been turned off? Because suddenly I'm getting a huge desperate-for-money vibe here.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Colonel Sanders posted:

Aisle Riot is almost perfect, but I would really like an option for an auto complete at the end, and sometimes I don't want vegas scoring. I'm also interested in freecell, spider solitaire (preferably with 1,2,3,4 deck options), and maybe even a black jack game. What should I try?

In AisleRiot you can middle-click the suit stacks to auto complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Many thanks for passing that along. They've jacked up the price to 170 but that's still cheap enough that I just picked one up to play around with. :cool:

• Locked thread