Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Merkinman, have you posted that on AskUbuntu? That sounds like the kind of thing that they would have a solution for.

Marlboro Lover posted:

OK, I registered just to comment on this release. I just installed it on my HP Envy 17 with an Intel Core i7-2630QM with 6gb of ram, and it is kinda weird.

For the first 15-30 minutes, everything runs kinda sluggishly, but then everything starts working at a decent speed (for example, up until just a few seconds ago loading websites on firefox took 2-3 minutes, and typing things into this text box caused a delay of 1-2 seconds from when I would hit a key and the text would actually show up).

Now everything is running at the speed of the old LTS release, but this seems like the sort of thing that might cause new users to run away screaming. Even when running the Live CD (off of a USB), I had to reboot it several times before it would run fast enough for me to even install the system.

I suppose it is tolerable, but I wish I didn't have to wait for a break-in period every time I rebooted the system. Aside from that, everything seems pretty nice.

edit: It does this regardless of whether the proprietary ATI driver is installed or not.

edit2: Rebooting reproduced the symptoms I just described. I also have my home directory encrypted. That shouldn't be causing the problem, though. This kinda reminds me of how Linux was 10 years ago...

Have you tried running "top" in a terminal to see what the processor is doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Heid the Ball posted:

Installed Pangolin on friday night. Now I have the following issues:

1) Random logouts where it dumps me back to the Ubuntu login screen, losing any open work as it does so.

2) No power button in top right. (hard button still brings up shut down dialog)

3) No volume button in top right.

4) No apps listed in dash. unless its already in the dock, I can't get to it. This includes Terminal. Unable to install anything from the ubuntu app store as the permission dialog appears and disappears instantly.

5) Flash is super crashy in firefox, but can't install any variations, as above.

6) Video played through the video player is blue tinted.

I presume a lot of this could be down to my nVidia card, going by discussions in here. How can I fix this, without access to the terminal? CTRL-ALT-F5 just gives me a dead screen. Tried to fix using dpkg in the boot menu, but to no avail. I get some info about out of date for unity lens???

Otherwise 12.04 has been just PEACHY.

That poo poo's hosed dude, did you upgrade or do a fresh install?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

text on shutdown screen

For me this happens intermittently, so I've always wondered exactly what's triggering it. It's nice when my system is crashing though.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Heid the Ball posted:

I lied.

Just put a fresh install of 12.04 in, easier to create a boot cd. Working perfectly now.

Sigh.

I wasn't sure why you were gonna go to mint after a bad upgrade, rather than just do a fresh reinstall... glad it's working though!
hah, welp, nevermind!

angrytech fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 1, 2012

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Does anyone use the Ubuntu One cloud service? I'm on the lookout for one that isn't Dropbox but is cross-platform. Would goons recommend it?

I love it, can't recommend it enough. It's awesome for syncing my assignments across my computers and the music store is cheaper than or the same price as the ITMS for pretty much everything.
Plus being able to sync any file/folder on your system is pretty rockin too.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

EA will be at the Ubuntu Developer Summit.

A lot of the comments I've read have been hilariously :reject:

I've seen a bunch of "omg year of linux games on the desktop" but an equal number of "gently caress EA forever their games suck i hope they die"

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

:words:

Holy poo poo did you actually post this while you were in that meeting?:golfclap:

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah, were you listening to me on the mic by chance? :D

Yeah I was. I caught that joke about WINE at the end that some dude made to you. ;)

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

How is UDS this year? Is there a website for tapped/recorded sessions?

Schedule: http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-q/
Streaming audio: http://icecast.ubuntu.com:8000/status.xsl

VVV poo poo, sorry. Let me know if you find them because I missed a few talks.

angrytech fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 8, 2012

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Lysidas posted:

The first 12.10 daily builds have been released (e.g. http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/). Time to upgrade; 12.04 is so two weeks ago :shepface:

Ah, great. I try to run the alphas/betas in order to help test. The only time during the 12.04 alpha that I experienced any problem was when I forced an upgrade that update-manager wasn't ready to give me, and broke X11. Boot to a tty, 'apt-get -f install' and everything was fixed.
Also, that's the link for kubuntu, not standard ubuntu.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Lysidas posted:

kubuntu best *buntu

I experienced a few hiccups during the 12.04 development phase, which mostly came from my insistence on using aptitude when its multiarch support didn't work very well. There were a few flashplugin-installer updates that would make aptitude attempt to remove half of my system in order to resolve dependencies, and ShadowHawk was very helpful in saying "use apt-get or GUI package management tools".

I'm not actually going to upgrade until KDE 4.9 is released; at the moment the only appreciable differences between Precise and Quantal (from my perspective) are kernel 3.4 and Git 1.7.10. It's a very nice coincidence that KDE has also been doing 6-month release cycles for the last two years; every recent Kubuntu release has included a new KDE.

EDIT: Actually, ShadowHawk said "use apt-get to install Wine" -- the flashplugin-installer stuff usually worked itself out in a day or two. It seems that the software repositories for development versions of Ubuntu aren't always internally consistent (which makes perfect sense), so you may get unlucky with some updates that will obviously break your system. "Proposed update would remove 130 important-looking packages" = "wait a few days and try to aptitude full-upgrade again".

Actually, "Proposed update would remove 130 important-looking packages" = Use update-manager because it will keep you from doing stupid poo poo as easily. ;)
I'm a sucker for the newest cool poo poo, so I like running the alpha/betas, especially for the new kernels.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

gmq posted:

I have one question though, is there anything similar to Photoshop that is not GIMP? I used to use a Windows VM just for Photoshop and I'd like to avoid that this time.

I'd say it depends on what you're trying to do. My father uses inkscape in production, but that's just to create logos for his products. There's also LibreOffice Draw, although I can't attest to its quality.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

gmq posted:

Last time I tried that, Photoshop ran actually slower than on a VM and it had some graphical issues. :v:

How long ago was it? WINE keeps getting better at what it does, if it was a while ago I'd try it again.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Fun fact: the Humble Indie Bundle V is now out, and can be purchased here. Once you purchase them, the download page has a link that will automatically install the games via the Ubuntu Software Center. The future is now!

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
^^^ Ok whoa nice name team-up there. Can you elaborate on that second quote because I have absolutely no loving clue what it means and I'm curious.

revmoo posted:

Ok I'm three hours in and I'm channeling 1999. How do I get a working E.Q. in Ubuntu? Every single possible thing that existed no longer works on Precise Pangolin, and Winamp in Wine is completely spastic. What is the easiest path to get an equalizer in Ubuntu? This poo poo used to come with Movie Player and it seems to be totally absent now.

I don't know about the "equalizer" magic of which you speak, but does this help? http://askubuntu.com/questions/109297/how-do-i-install-an-equalizer-in-rhythmbox Rhythmbox is pretty great and I'd recommend just using that if you can.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

MrMoo posted:

The launchpad bug mentions that the equalizer depends on a package that isn't in the main supported repository thus it cannot be included.

Oh ok got it. Thanks for the clarification.
In any case it's no big deal, just run the Quantal alpha. Hasn't crashed on me in two d

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Youtube flash on my 12.04 system has some weird color inversion going on: blues are red and reds are blue kinda deal. I'd try fixing it, but videos just look so drat cool with crazy trippy colors. :3:

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Holy poo poo http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/Linux/ is pretty loving sweet.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Praise heaven. Canonical was starting to run away with paid software in Software Centre, which wasn't great news for people who don't use Ubuntu.

Wait, are you complaining that Canonical was trying to convince developers to develop for Linux?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Nope. Developing on Linux is great, I miss when id used to be somewhat expedient about it. It's not really so much Canonical's fault as much as it is the reality of package-based software, I guess. I don't want to go back to the days of "download source and compile" certainly, but the way they're distributing it isn't the most even handed?

I don't quite know how to express myself, except to say go on a Debian forum and suggest somebody use a Launchpad PPA for practically anything and watch the "DON'T USE UBUNTU BINARIES YOU WILL DIE IN DEPENDENCY HELL AND VIRGINS WILL BE SACRIFICED" reaction. This is especially common in Wine, where people use the WineHQ PPA intended for Ubuntu to get unstable versions (though since Sid now keeps this up to date, you can pin to that and it's less of a problem).

Another example is a lot of quality community-built software distribute via a Launchpad PPA that asks you if you're using anything between Karmic and Quixotic but doesn't consider anything else. I just use those repos anyway, because what are the odds a simple Twitter client or what have you will have a dependency breakdown?

If Steam came in, and eventually supports multiple distros, and allows people to buy and download and auto-update games, which are usually among the most complicated software, without having to mess about with repositories and dependencies and whatnot? That'd be great.

Oh ok got it that's legit.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

deong posted:

Are the Quantal 12.10 alpha builds nearly complete at this point? I'm wanting to do a fresh install, I've got way too many random repos etc on my system and its just time to start fresh. I think this current build has 5 dist-upgrades. I'm in the mood to finally get'er done, and I figure with just a month to go it should be pretty stable?

I've used it on my laptop for over a month, for what it's worth.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Crayvex posted:

Stupid question time, I'm running 12.04 right now. How do I update to 12.04.1? I ran all the updates and lsb shows:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

Am I already upgraded? Hurr... I am sorry if I am stupid. I'm coming from SUSE.

Not a stupid question, but yeah you're up to date.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
So it looks like 12.10 won't have an alternative install cd. I definitely see where they're coming from: while it does make it more difficult to set up RAID, it also removes a bunch of complexity, which frees them up to make everything else better.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks. Meant to ask this earlier, but is there any reason not to use the 64 bit version of Pangolin?

I generally always use x64 unless there's a problem that requires x86. Generally it's either driver issues or a 32 bit processor, but I haven't run into that for years now.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Nystral posted:

Do you miss the days of green and black CRT displays or something?

Don't you?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Heads up, "Ubuntu GNOME Remix" has hit alpha. Download here.
Also good job Canonical for having a cert that requires an explicit exception!:thumbsup:
VVV Yeah listen to this dude VVV

angrytech fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 3, 2012

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Lysidas posted:

I'm already looking forward to 13.04. I'm using Quantal on all of my machines and have been since the Nvidia closed-source driver was usable. Now that 12.10 is converging toward a stable release, there aren't any crazy "replace every package and break the system" updates anymore, and it just doesn't feel right.

I also can't wait until the system installation of Python is the newly-released 3.3, which I'm guessing was released too late to make it into Quantal as the default Python 3 version.

Side note: I think it's really neat that the plan for 12.10 is to only install Python 3 by default, but the daily CD images still have 2.7 in addition to 3.2. I wonder whether it'll actually happen.

Last I checked there weren't very many programs left to be ported over to 3.x. I assume that the number has declined since then.
As for 13.04, I want to see Wayland in action so badly that it's not even funny.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I go to get 12.10, but before giving me a download link, Canonical hits me up for a donation. (And if you skip the donation, it starts a download for 12.04LTS, not the new one. Hmm.) So I get 12.10 from the torrent link instead, load it onto a test system with no problems, and boot to the Unity desktop. The first thing that I notice is the Amazon referrer link, prominently placed on the Launcher. The next thing I notice is that Amazon ads are taking up almost the entire Dash.

Um... not to be indelicate, but is Canonical hard up for cash? Like, Shuttleworth's going hungry and the water's been turned off? Because suddenly I'm getting a huge desperate-for-money vibe here.

That's clearly a bug in their webpage, since it takes you to the 32 bit version of 12.04 instead of 64-bit 12.10. I emailed them to file a bug report.
As for the Amazon link in the launcher, I've got no problems with it; it's easy to remove. Same goes with the Dash search - I actually like being able to search amazon, and it's easy to disable.
The money-desperation thing is pretty interesting. One one hand yeah I understand what you're saying. On the other, we're in the age of kickstarters raising millions for vaporware. Is it really that much of a problem for them to ask for a donation in exchange for an awesome OS?
Full disclosure: I ordered a bunch of Ubuntu-branded stuff that's arriving in the mail tomorrow, and I'll probably contribute $10 in the next week or two.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Ok everyone, madsushi wasn't complaining about the error, they were commenting on how to fix it.
For content of my own: I upgraded to 12.10 and now I can't log in at the GUI. From what I can tell, there's an issue with lightdm or the unity greeter crashing; I can log in from the tty just fine.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
I've got a bug report in launchpad and I need to upload .xsession-errors but lightdm is crashing so I can only log in via TTY.
Is there a way to upload a file to launchpad for a bug that already exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Heads up for all the steam-lovers:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php

• Locked thread