Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a newbie to Linux and I'm outright loving the customization I can do with it, most prior distro have turned me off almost immediately within hours of installing.

I have a question about the WebApp integration that is in Ubuntu 12.04/12.10. Is it possible to run them through Google Chrome rather than Chromium as is currently intended? Chromium is loving unstable as all hell and spews out error messages and crashes a lot on trivial stuff like Youtube. Far as I'm able to read Google Chrome and Chromium share a code base and features are interchangeable as Chromium is the Opensource test bed and Google Chrome is the polished browser. The other major point between Chrome and Chromium is apparently Chrome has Flash built in whereas Chromium uses some open source hackjob.

I saw some Youtube video of some heavily lisping WebApp dev saying that it technically would work and was submitted to Google but they don't test under Google Chrome. In theory it should work by just yanking the extensions out of one and placing it into the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Harminoff posted:

What's the chance of Ubuntu Edge actually hitting it's funding goal? Pretty good start though, only 30 million more to go!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLe3iIMN7k

Pretty neat idea though don't really see myself running my desktop off my phone.

Canonical really does know where the market is going and currently appear on the surface to be leagues ahead of the competition, I fully expect the Windows 8 Metro nonsense to be a prelude to this type of convergence technology but Microsoft has no idea how to reconcile the old established Windows users with the Metro future effectively. The desktop PC is going to disappear aside from niche gamer things. Grandma's old PC will either be replaced by a tablet or phone like this. For the common person a Desktop does have a lot of extraneous applications and capable that aren't really needed for a person who just checks their bank statements and works in excel or word. Their problem will be capturing the market and converting people to Linux. That is the major hurdle, even established groups like Microsoft are having a brutal time penetrating in on Android and Apple's dominance.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

french lies posted:

Okay, I'm glad to hear that. Is there any foolproof way to troubleshoot which part of the system is causing the problem?

Try doing it through the terminal instead of their update manager. Ctrl + Alt + T and type in "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" then your current accounts password. Try getting past the first hurdle without any graphical elements then see if you encounter it again on the next batch of updates which would be small.

If it is sluggish and poo poo in the terminal I would bet that it was the SSD's write capability either failing or the driver is borked for it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm running Linux mint 14 at the moment but it doesn't seem to have the single sign on capability that Ubuntu has. Is there a way to use cinnamon with Ubuntu? I tried installing the gnome 3 desktop and mint did not play nicely. The SSO would disappear constantly and gnome was screwed up..

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4748908/ubuntus-smartphone-os-will-be-ready-to-launch-on-october-17th

Appears that the Ubuntu Touch for smartphones will be out in about a month. From what I've heard of dev images the entire thing is sluggish as all hell and not exactly ready for prime time. That's not even accounting for the lack of the massive app store that Android and Iphones boast. Certainly an uphill battle for Canonical but certainly one worth getting into, I expect a massive shift from the Desktop to Tablets in the near future for the casual user.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Shouldn't be. Linux distros generally install GRUB which prompts you every time you boot up if you want to boot Linux or Windows. When Windows is selected it should go through it's normal rigmarole.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Canonical has yet to turn a profit from the Ubuntu projects and that was one of the way they intended to do so. It wasn't a bad idea, it's just Dropbox and others had long been there first. Given the tech savvy nature of Linux users in general most that needed Cloud Service would already long ago have purchased it.

I've yet to see a figure on how much Shuttleworth has lost on the entire Ubuntu venture to date.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Whats the most recommended way of upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04? Editing the sources.list and changing from precise to whatever 14.04 is called then apt-get dist-upgrade?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wooger posted:

Seriously, read this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/110477/how-do-i-upgrade-to-a-newer-version-of-ubuntu

Even with those precautions, its rare for everything to work perfectly straight away due to the big version changes in some packages.

Ah, I managed to manage it via "do-release-upgrade" over SSH. The only thing installed to it at the moment is XBMC, it used to handle my Usenet suite but I offloaded that to a Raspberry Pi, losing data on this isn't the end of the world. However if this loving version can't handle suspend I'm dumping Ubuntu in favor of a distro that can handle pm-options. The thing should be able to suspend after 30min-1hr of no usage.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm going to be running a small home server. Combination home NAS, plex and subsonic server. It's going to be mostly headless, but I'd like to have a GUI occasionally. I will have some ports open to the outside internet, so security is a concern, but obviously, I'm an extremely low profile/priority target.

I'm thinking I should I run Ubuntu server, but I don't know anything about it. Good/bad idea? I was thinking it would keep my unneeded package count down, and I assume I can install anything I needed with apt-get just like with desktop.

I'm an exclusive Ubuntu desktop user at home and work, and I'd consider myself an advanced home user, but not a sysadmin in any way.

EDIT: Reading the OP (after posting, because I'm a moron) says that server is just a different set of packages, so I think I should be good to go.

The Linux thread answered the security question with this link the other day infact. https://library.linode.com/security/basics

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So the Suspend command still doesn't work for 14.04. This has been an outstanding problem since like what? 12.04 if not earlier? Going to wipe off Ubuntu and run OpenElec or some other distro for my HTPC. I really want it to turn itself off when not in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowHawk posted:

What problem exactly are you having? Is it that when you tell it to suspend, it's not actually powering down? Or is it that it's not powering down when you do something that should suspend it (like closing a laptop lid when not on AC power)?

I've noticed on one of my machines that if I have the "don't suspend on lid close when on AC power" set, and then I close the lid, and then unplug it, it won't suspend.

It's not a lid closing issue, it's a standard desktop I repurposed into a HTPC after it was too outdated for gaming. I tell it to suspend and it just hangs there. Nothing happens. It's not just this computer as well, every computer I've used Ubuntu on has this issue. Linux Mint on the other hand didn't have this issue on the same builds. It's an issue that has been reported and looked over a lot since 12.04 was first released, i'm not bothering to deal with it since having a full desktop OS is actually more than I really need for this HTPC.

• Locked thread