Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This all seems like overthinking it to me. It's not like we ever got to know Sulu very deeply - maybe he's a bi guy?

Hell, I'm not sure when Sulu was supposed to have been born, but the Sulu in the new movies may literally not be the same guy Takei portrayed. Suppose he has a different mother, or a different sperm fertilized the egg...

(But yeah, probably the best way to have handled it would have been to do it with another character)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Cheesus posted:

In this particular case, I think the actor who asked the film creators not to disservice the character by changing him to fit in with said actor's life is in the right.

That Takei told Pegg and Lin not to do it and they did so anyway really shows how truly sensitive they are to the LGBT community. It takes all the meaning away except, "George Takei is gay so the character he played must be too! Get it! GET IT?!"

Don't really get why this matters, are they supposed to consult Takei on every decision they make with his character? Does Takei speak for the entirety of the LGBT community? How do you know Pegg and Lin didn't speak with other LGBT people and get enthusiasm from them for the idea? It's Takei's old character but it doesn't mean that he has the final say on what's appropriate. It's unfortunate that he doesn't like it but that's all it is.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sulu was just the safest character to make gay since half of Star Trek-aware populace already associates him with gay. Like, no matter what Sulu and Gay are irrevocably intertwined already in peoples' minds.

So what if original Sulu was intended to be into women? If sexuality is indeed no big deal in the future, is it a big stretch to say that the changes in the timeline caused him to meet a male partner instead of a female and that's just the way it is?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's no coincidence at all to why that particular character was chosen to be gay. In that light, it's a pretty dick move to do it when the guy whose life you're basing it off of says it's not cool.

Like, making Scotty or McCoy gay would have the same positive effect without the negative of "oh this is just George Takei again".

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

If he said it's not cool for personal reasons, like he's personally offended by them incorporating his personal life into the character then yeah it's a dick move. However I don't think that's the case, it just sounds like Takei never thought of the character as gay and thinks that they should introduce a new gay character. I agree with Pegg that that would be tokenism and that character would always be thought of as "the gay one that Justin Lin made up." It seems to me that introducing it as an aspect of Sulu's character is the most tasteful way to do it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Sulu whispers that he is gay in Mudd's Women when some crewman is all smitten by the girls. Sulu is like "well back to work" and then the word filter.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's a bit rich for the production to cite tokenism when so far all we've seen of Cho's Sulu is that he is once again at the helm of the Enterprise, seems vaguely serious, and can wield a future-samurai sword.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

computer parts posted:

Like, making Scotty or McCoy gay would have the same positive effect without the negative of "oh this is just George Takei again".

I would imagine they would fear the marketing backlash against making literally any other pre-existing character gay. Because of Takei, Sulu is like literally the only guy people wouldn't get upset about.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
This whole discussion feels like some marketing team for the movie is high-fiving themselves to make something controversial out of absolutely nothing for more marketing upon said movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even if you never mention it, people get outraged. Remember Paranorman? That little line towards the end that the big hunk guy is gay? Parents lost their poo poo and I don't even think that was brought up ahead of time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

computer parts posted:

Sulu is the only TOS character never to face female love interests shown.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

MikeJF posted:

Sulu is the only TOS character never to face female love interests shown.
Except implied by an Asian-looking daughter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cheesus posted:

Except implied by an Asian-looking daughter.

Gay men can have daughters today. Why couldn't they in the future?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just as an FYI, Beyond had its premiere in Sydney yesterday so spoilers are going to be hitting the Internet soon.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Wow I didn't realize the time zones were that far ahead.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Cheesus posted:

In this particular case, I think the actor who asked the film creators not to disservice the character by changing him to fit in with said actor's life is in the right.

That Takei told Pegg and Lin not to do it and they did so anyway really shows how truly sensitive they are to the LGBT community. It takes all the meaning away except, "George Takei is gay so the character he played must be too! Get it! GET IT?!"

This is really interesting because days before this was announced I was reading on Memory Alpha that Takei urged Roddenberry to make Sulu a gay character back in '66, but Roddenberry explained to him with all the other battles that he was fighting with the show this would be the one that cancels it and prevents them from making progress in so many other ways. Takei understood and let it go for the time being.

I also don't buy your idea that this is some grave insensitivity to the LGBT community, considering one of Pegg's castmates is an outspoken homosexual advocate who probably would have been consulted for his thoughts on the matter too - and has since come out defending the decision with a counterpoint that what Takei has said.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still think there's an argument to be said that Sulu was gay in the original timeline. I mean, Takei's main objection is that his character would have lived a false life as a closeted gay man in the original timeline and he hates that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
It's not the biggest deal but yeah, since the only reason they did in the first place was as an homage to George Takei, and George Takei himself explicitly told them he didn't like it.....they probably should have just not done it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"OK, I'm down with machines that replicate matter yet still somehow allow humans to retain a self of sense or soul as though they were the exact same person that was disintegrated moments ago, but SEXUALITY IS A SPECTRUM?! NOPE"

Sulu bi, so what.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

wait until you see the shot in uhura's quarters where there is a black lives matter poster on her wall next to a vintage peace sign and a bunch of vaguely progressive space poo poo

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mulaney Power Move posted:

wait until you see the shot in uhura's quarters where there is a black lives matter poster on her wall next to a vintage peace sign and a bunch of vaguely progressive space poo poo

wow it's Gabriel Bell's iPhone

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

interspecies sex will be the new progressive hurdle but what do you represent that with? a bunch of rainbow flags in a fibonacci spiral is my guess.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still think there's an argument to be said that Sulu was gay in the original timeline. I mean, Takei's main objection is that his character would have lived a false life as a closeted gay man in the original timeline and he hates that.

Maybe in the mirror universe, but Sulu the character was mostly ambiguous about his personal life. We didn't see him fall in love with crewmembers like Scotty, have an ex-wife like McCoy, or old flames that joined creepy space cults, like Chekov.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

korusan posted:

Maybe in the mirror universe, but Sulu the character was mostly ambiguous about his personal life. We didn't see him fall in love with crewmembers like Scotty, have an ex-wife like McCoy, or old flames that joined creepy space cults, like Chekov.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. Sulu could have been an openly gay (or bi) crewmember and nothing would change.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Oh! My bad. I must have misread you.

That's completely true, and a nice reminder of what Star Trek was really all about. Just like the multiracial crew in the 60s it's the kind of thing that can be mentioned if necessary, but doesn't need a lot of fanfare. The truth is that no matter what the 'Sulu is gay' thing would be brought up after the movie is out, and part of attaining the kind of future like in the show is having homosexual families normalized. There's so much yammering nowadays about making a movie with Indiana Jones or James Bond being a woman and the idea is lauded but taking an existing character and saying he's gay when nothing really says otherwise is somehow a bad thing because the old actor doesn't like it. It's not meant to be insulting, and I believe it's possible that George might wrong about creating some new character to "fill" that role. To me that's akin to just having a "gay character" as opposed to a character who happens to be gay - it might read mostly the same on paper but the former sounds more like a cheap cop out idea in conversation.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
They should just have Kirk come out as bi. The dude is down to gently caress aliens, but you're telling me he isn't down to gently caress males who are at least of the same species? Come on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cnut the Great posted:

They should just have Kirk come out as bi. The dude is down to gently caress aliens, but you're telling me he isn't down to gently caress males who are at least of the same species? Come on.

I don't know about that but I'm pretty sure Kirk would have no problem loving a clone or mirror version of himself.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

korusan posted:

To me that's akin to just having a "gay character" as opposed to a character who happens to be gay - it might read mostly the same on paper but the former sounds more like a cheap cop out idea in conversation.

This is pretty much the stated reason Simon Pegg gave for making this choice, and I agree.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

korusan posted:

To me that's akin to just having a "gay character" as opposed to a character who happens to be gay - it might read mostly the same on paper but the former sounds more like a cheap cop out idea in conversation.

That would hold water if Sulu were anything more than the token Asian in the films at this point, but he's not, and so the argument is garbage. He's a non-character, and now he's the token Asian doubling as the token gay. This is an entirely cynical retcon intended to maximize Sulu's minority status because they had no idea what to do with the character and wouldn't dare taint an actual major character with being gay.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Maybe Sulu has more depth in this movie we haven't seen yet.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Varam posted:

That would hold water if Sulu were anything more than the token Asian in the films at this point, but he's not, and so the argument is garbage. He's a non-character, and now he's the token Asian doubling as the token gay. This is an entirely cynical retcon intended to maximize Sulu's minority status because they had no idea what to do with the character and wouldn't dare taint an actual major character with being gay.

"Sulu is a token character, also their efforts to remedy this and flesh out his personal life are garbage"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

korusan posted:

David Gerrold has a relevant bit in one of his books about making TOS where he talks about the difference as a writer between saying a character "is a homosexual" and "is homosexual" (or black, Asian, etc). The former is assigning them a defining stereotype, the latter describing an aspect of their full personality. It's a subtle distinction, but a good one.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Maybe Sulu has more depth in this movie we haven't seen yet.

Hahaha

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know about that but I'm pretty sure Kirk would have no problem loving a clone or mirror version of himself.

This actually happened in possibly the best of the films (barring of course the one with the whales)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZazcliCXii4

quote:

I know large swaths of internet Star Trek culture like to pretend Into Darkness was some forgettable flop everyone hated, but if we go back and examine that film we see Sulu is the focus of a pivotal scene where he tells Khan to basically back the gently caress down to the point of where everyone in the room is awed by his authority. McCoy even makes one of his trademark quips afterward about it!

Later this is followed up with an exchange about how he could get used to the captain's chair. This shows he's a man of ambition, and provides for us an insight as to how a Star Trek character who isn't Kirk could one day be captain. When we examine his description from the aborted Phase II series (which itself is a fascinating thing to read about), we see some of his younger self's character traits line up with how that character would have grown from the original TV series Sulu:

quote:

"Ship's helmsman, played by actor George Takei. Mixed Oriental in ancestry, a Lieutenant Commander, Japanese predominating, Sulu is very Occidental in speech and manner. In fact, his attitude toward Asians is that they seem to him rather "inscrutable." Sulu fancies himself more of an old-world "D'Artagnan" than anything else. He is a compulsive hobbyist; like all "collectors," he is forever giving his friends a thousand reasons why they, too, should take on the same hobby.
"Although these bursts of enthusiasm make him something of a chatterbox, Sulu is a top officer and one of the most proficient helmsmen in the Starfleet Service. When the chips are down, he immediately becomes another character, a terse professional, whose every word and deed relate solely to the vessel and its safety. This pleasant and effective "dual personality" results never intrude on his job. He has never had to receive the same order from Kirk twice."
It's of course old fashioned and out of place to describe a 23rd century Asian man as if he's some oddity amongst Asians from the 1970s. Despite that, fencing is technically a traditional Italian/French sport (even if it's with a collapsible katana). He shows eagerness on his face like the Irish guy about fighting Romulans in his favorite swordstyle, even if he's not encouraging everyone else on the drop mission to pack their own sword (he was, in fact, hand picked because of his proficiency in his hobby). He gets right into the whole being captain thing, being a terse professional, and I don't think he ever questioned Captain Kirk - even when Kirk was being a bit of an rear end in a top hat in the second movie with the whole catching Khan thing.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 11, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I like the notion of Sulu as a Japanese guy who is obsessed with Western culture and will not shut up about his Euraboo hobbies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wanting to be D'artagnan is a cool and relateable character trait. Who wouldn't want to be D'Artagnan?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It's kind of cute how much 23rd century pop culture reveres pre-1960s culture, as opposed to being forward thinking about what would still be relevant in the future.

Then again, Sulu could just be a fan of the 2011 "classic". And I guess Kirk listened to Beastie Boys 200 years after they'd be cold corpses.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Star Trek characters actually caring about high culture stuff like classical music or theater, and Star Trek characters actually inconveniencing themselves because they held strong philosophical ideals, wasn't always executed that well but at least it was more interesting than creating yet another banal sci-fi action franchise.

I'll admit I recently checked out some old Next Gen episodes and they're basically unwatchable now but at least they were trying. Abrams Star Trek doesn't have any real connection to that old 20th century tradition of speculative, forward looking science fiction. It's just Mission Impossible in space, which is (or ought to be) boring as gently caress for anyone old enough to have graduated High School.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is it really forward thinking if it's just "the same thing, but in space"? Like (eg) Interstellar's ending posits that humanity goes backward into an idyllic 1950s atmosphere, just in a tube this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Helsing posted:

Star Trek characters actually caring about high culture stuff like classical music or theater, and Star Trek characters actually inconveniencing themselves because they held strong philosophical ideals, wasn't always executed that well but at least it was more interesting than creating yet another banal sci-fi action franchise.

I'll admit I recently checked out some old Next Gen episodes and they're basically unwatchable now but at least they were trying. Abrams Star Trek doesn't have any real connection to that old 20th century tradition of speculative, forward looking science fiction. It's just Mission Impossible in space, which is (or ought to be) boring as gently caress for anyone old enough to have graduated High School.

I don't really see how that describes it at all. Star Trek has always worked best when it appeals to the taste of the time. In the 60s it was more like television theatre, which was the style back then. In the late 80s TNG spearheaded tropes that were different from the original series after trying to emulate it for a while, and that kind of thing resonated with television audiences - the two part cliffhanger summer is of particular note. DS9 responded to the demand for a grittier kind of science fiction, which served it well through the mid 90s. These Star Trek movies have been a product of the Obama years, being released near the beginning, middle, and end of his two terms. Successful cinema of these last few years is able to blend action with story - and though it has its problems (like all Star Trek has had, since the beginning) it generally succeeds at what it needs to do. Not all Star Trek is cerebral conversations around tea - some of the best episodes and movies have focused more on the emotionally gripping rather than intellectual discourse/hard science.

• Locked thread