Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't have a particularly deep investment in the Star Trek franchise. I was never a huge fan and when I revisit the old stuff I am mostly struck by how corny and dumb it all is. I just think that if there is one thing that actually made the Star Trek franchise stand out at all it was those moments when it did aim to be a bit more cerebral and philosophical. If you are going to bother to remake or update the series I'd rather see a new variation on those themes. Sure, do something new with them, but don't completely ditch the one part of Star Trek that actually makes it distinctive.

I'm reasonably confident that these films will never leave a cultural mark comparable to the originals because TOS or Next Gen were at least distinctive and striving to do something slightly unusual. The new ones are so derivative that they are barely distinguishable from Force Awakens or Guardians of the Galaxy or any of those other dull action sci-fi films of the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Helsing posted:

I don't have a particularly deep investment in the Star Trek franchise. I was never a huge fan and when I revisit the old stuff I am mostly struck by how corny and dumb it all is. I just think that if there is one thing that actually made the Star Trek franchise stand out at all it was those moments when it did aim to be a bit more cerebral and philosophical. If you are going to bother to remake or update the series I'd rather see a new variation on those themes. Sure, do something new with them, but don't completely ditch the one part of Star Trek that actually makes it distinctive.

I'm reasonably confident that these films will never leave a cultural mark comparable to the originals because TOS or Next Gen were at least distinctive and striving to do something slightly unusual. The new ones are so derivative that they are barely distinguishable from Force Awakens or Guardians of the Galaxy or any of those other dull action sci-fi films of the last few years.

drat, this is exactly how I've felt about the new movies (Star Trek, Star Wars, and Guardians), but I wasn't smart enough to articulate those thoughts. Love me some OG Trek though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Helsing posted:

As much as I like (for lack of a better term) "thinky-er" action movies, I honestly don't need the Star Blank movies to be like that. If a movie has good action and is thought provoking, I will discover it and enjoy it regardless. My tenuous connection to an established property doesn't add anything for me. If a franchise movie is smart, cool beans, but it's not gaining bonus points for having Jedis or Ferengi (or superheroes for that matter).

Of course, like most movies, these franchise movies are often stupid. Frankly, at this point, it may be too much to ask for them to not be stupid. I would settle for them just not being dull.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Helsing posted:

So, what did you think of Beyond?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For what it's worth, the few impressions that have started to make it out there seem to be pretty positive ones.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm quite honestly very optimistic about this movie, moreso than Into Darkness (which I liked). Seems like the closest thing we're going to get to a good movie in the spirit of an episode of TOS, almost moreso than the original movies.

I remember Roberto Orci saying the script for the movie he wanted to direct was going to be more cerebral and sciencey. I don't know if this means he was gonna double down on the crazy conspiracy poo poo, but I'm going to trust that Justin Lin can pull of something that isn't too mindless and still has smart questions to ask.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cnut the Great posted:

They should just have Kirk come out as bi. The dude is down to gently caress aliens, but you're telling me he isn't down to gently caress males who are at least of the same species? Come on.

How do you think bisexual people would feel about seeing a character identified as bisexual merely because "well of course he'll gently caress anything because he's so down to gently caress, dogg!" It's kinda implying that being bisexual means you're promiscuous by nature.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How do you think bisexual people would feel about seeing a character identified as bisexual merely because "well of course he'll gently caress anything because he's so down to gently caress, dogg!" It's kinda implying that being bisexual means you're promiscuous by nature.

I remember similar reasons for why Kirk couldn't be non-white.

At a point it just becomes "yes, there are issues but representation is more important, especially from a main character ".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Hmmm I don' t know, looks like I have a lot of soul-searching to do.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Helsing posted:

I still think of myself as a Star Trek fan, and as a kid I was totally engrossed in the books, knowing things like the TNG Tech Manual inside out.

It wasn't until recently however that I realised I don't really care about the show. I haven't seen all the episodes of any of the series. It's the fact that it was a coherent, promising, thoughtful universe that drew me in.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Apollodorus posted:

I like the notion of Sulu as a Japanese guy who is obsessed with Western culture and will not shut up about his Euraboo hobbies.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

computer parts posted:

I remember similar reasons for why Kirk couldn't be non-white.

At a point it just becomes "yes, there are issues but representation is more important, especially from a main character ".

Similar in what way? Cnut basically said "yo Kirk likes to gently caress so much, they should make him bi", I pointed out "hey maybe bisexuals wouldn't appreciate being stereotyped as promiscuous, that seems like a bad reason to make him bisexual". What racial stereotypes have been used as an argument for making Kirk non-white? I'm struggling to think of what would apply.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Similar in what way? Cnut basically said "yo Kirk likes to gently caress so much, they should make him bi", I pointed out "hey maybe bisexuals wouldn't appreciate being stereotyped as promiscuous, that seems like a bad reason to make him bisexual". What racial stereotypes have been used as an argument for making Kirk non-white? I'm struggling to think of what would apply.

Specifically, Kirk couldn't be Hispanic because of how "hot blooded" he is.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Reviews seem to be flowing in now... noticed a few on youtube and rottentomatoes is filling up. Looks to be mostly positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

lizardman posted:

I was the guy who started this thread three years ago (!) so I feel kind of obligated to start a new one ahead of Star Trek Beyond's release. Might be a day or two, though. Stay tuned!

:siren: Like a shiny new Enterprise-A, we now have a new thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783808

"My friends, we've come home."

• Locked thread