Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm going to be optimistic about it, but the race thing does bug me. I have no doubt that Cumberbatch will be great, but wasn't Khan supposed to a be remnant of some sort of late 20th century eugenics program. There's something genuinely progressive about having a character bred for perfection who isn't lily white, showing the lie of racial supremacists by saying, "If we really did breed a super race, they wouldn't look like your cousin who pumps gas for a living."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Young Freud posted:

Which he probably would have done if he wasn't crippled by the Kelvin, which led to his capture by the Klingons. Of course, this would have been easier explained if they hadn't cut out Nero's imprisonment and escape.

Except that would have been another twenty minutes without Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto, and who the gently caress wants that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Wait, Nero built a death ship?

I always assumed that was how the Romulan miners rolled, in giant planetcrackers that had dual-use equipment that would be considered beyond state-of-the-art weaponry in the 23rd century. Like, they're not even firing photon torpedoes or any other real weapons at the feddiepunks, they're throwing out autonomous mining probes with seismic charges that just happen to penetrate TOS-era shields and gently caress up TOS-era ships. Like, the real Romulan warships are running around with thalaron emitters and fire-through cloaking fields and other high-end weapons. You know, I don't even think they're carrying personal disruptors, it looks more like rivet guns.

That whole "Nero built a death ship following Romulus' destruction" seems less cool in my eyes than "disgruntled miner goes on rampage after Spock fails to save his wife".

Yeah, I always figured figured the same thing, like how we probably couldn't doshit to federation TOS era equipment and civil war era stuff probably couldn't do much damage to modern mining poo poo. Hell the modus operandi of drilling into the core of a planet and blowing it up that way fits what I imagine super advanced space mining equipment could do.

Edit: Part of me suspects the screenwriters and JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the comic tie ins, and you shouldn't need them to make sense of the movie anyways, so I'm going to continue to think that's how it was.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 12, 2012

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

New uniforms. Maybe these are Mirror Universe Nazi-esque uniforms?

Those really are Nazi-esque. Why the gently caress would they do that, especially since it seems to ignore the color coding theme that every series has ever had.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The hell? When did Kirk get around to fathering a child with a Romulingon? Or did he have sex with a Klingon and a Romulan at the same time and Kirk's just that Kirky?

Cheesus posted:

When wouldn't have Kirk gotten around to do all of that? :smug:

If it's a species capable of producing females, Kirk slept with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure they had to be humanoid as well. Kirk ain't sticking his dick in no spider creature.

Kirk knows true beauty isn't only skin deep.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is this coming out before or after Thor: The Darkworld?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

aBagorn posted:

Ugh, I despise 3D movies (I have a problem viewing them), so I won't be able to see this.

Wear an eyepatch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

In this diverse world there's nothing to stop a guy being called Khan Singh having an English accent and being white either, tbf.

There's so much breeding between races that in 300yrs we're all gonna be one skin colour (I guess some kind of brown-ish) with indistinguishable accents, I reckon.

In my second line seems racist then I apologize - it's just speculation that we'll homogenize as we become a more cohesive world nation.

I think most of the outcry is that previously he was portrayed by Ricardo Montalban, he was always supposed to be a mixed race character, given his origin as a product of genetic manipulation and eugenics. But the idea of an attempt at "the perfect" or "the superior" man being white rubs people the wrong way.

I don't mind that they brought back Kirk, because I really didn't want to have the next movie be "The Search For Kirk," but I kind wished they went whole hog with the mirror-ism of Wrath of Khan and had Spock give him a eulogy, Spock calling Kirk "of all the souls I've known, his was the most... human" would have worked really well, maybe better than than the original.

I was really sort of caught off guard by the whole "dedicated to those who lost their lives 9/11" coda they had. I think Sci-Fi metaphors for current issues work better when they aren't that on the nose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Are we not spoilering this anymore? Fixed in the quote just to be safe.

I wasn't sure, I avoid threads like this until I've seen the movie, but I know both the Dark Knight Rises and Prometheus threads had fairly strict spoiler rules long after release

Edit: I've only read the last three pages and read plenty of things I would have put in spoilers, which is why I only read threads for movies after I've seen them, but I didn't want to risk it for people who weren't quite as cautious. I'm sure a lot of people look to current release threads to see if they should watch it.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 16, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snak posted:

I also got the impression that Khan's expertise was strategic/tactical in nature in that he was designing weapons that would correctly suit the goals of Admiral Marcus. Look at real life examples: The American Military-Industrial complex has produced some incredibly "effective" technology, but it has also produced over-engineered, designed by committee, completely impractical nightmares like the F-35. The f-35 would have been game-changing 40 years ago, but it's irrelevant to the way the US military operates currently. If Khan's role was to help spend their budget more efficiently, that is much more plausible than "he literally created better military technology".

Yeah, but his crowning achievement is basically something that looks exactly like the Enterprise and is much, much larger, and black because it's evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Into Darkness is roughly the same film as Man of Steel, only not as good. It's not egregiously bad or anything.

I don't necessarily disagree with your first assessment, but I think it's better than Man of Steel.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 24, 2013

• Locked thread