Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Un-l337-Pork posted:

I was hoping they wouldn't go with Khan and do something that was actually original instead of just a "re-imaging" of the old story. I'm sure this will be entertaining -- the cast was just about perfect the last time around.

This is exactly how I feel. After the last Trek movie, I got the impression the director and writers were being pressured both by fans and producers to work Khan into the follow-up, since he was the focal point of what most people consider to be the best classic Trek movie. At the same time, I got the impression they preferred to go a different route.

Ethnicity or similarity in looks don't really seem important to me, Khan was great because Ricardo Montalban played him that way. Besides that, Khan's defining trait - his grudge against Kirk because of their past together - would not apply here.

What I'm saying is, they'll probably have to reinvent the entire character and the only remaining reason to actually call him Khan will be to summon up association with the most kick-rear end Star Trek movie. I rather doubt that's necessary, seeing how good the last movie turned out.

Oh well. Maybe this'll finally make me fall in love with Cumberbatch as much as the rest of the internet has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

A part of me really wants them to have smooth heads. But if the cut footage from Star Trek is any indication, this will not be the case.

Didn't all the Klingons shown in the cut footage have helmets on that obscured their foreheads?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can imagine that people working on this movie were just super pumped to get Benedict Cumberbatch when Benicio Del Toro dropped out, since he's pretty hot right now. But now they are going to have to address why Khan looks pale and skinny, and change the movie accordingly. The 2009 Star Trek movie explicitly planted itself in the universe already established. I guess that really should've made them scratch their heads.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

I'm glad you asked this question, because it makes it so I get to link this; http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-first-contact/

Basically, and this is just my own opinion, it changed Picards character to much, and that's why I hated it. He is nothing like he is on TNG. On First Contact, he is a blood thirsty, vengeful person. Some of the things he does in the movie (like just randomly slaughter one of his own crew members), would never have happened on the t.v. show.

I agree with some of that, but I still think it's one of the most entertaining Star Trek movies.

Especially because they at least tried to make Picard deal with his trauma. On the TV show, the writers had to fight to get even one episode of that - Roddenberry and Berman basically wanted to pick up the show after Picard's assimilation as if nothing had happened.

I watched Abrams' Star Trek again last week, and goddamn is it a fun, good movie. Music, casting, humor, it just hits all the right notes. It's pretty impressive when you listen to the commentary and watch the deleted scenes, and see how much it was cut up from its original version.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked the delivery, the joke made me laugh in the theater. Still, with respect to the guy, that's basically like saying they're re-using a prop from the first movie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Don't ruin my excitement. It's Gowron. The next villain is Gowron. :ohdear:

Could they find another actor that can stare like Robert O'Reilly?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FrensaGeran posted:

Khan. V'Ger. The Borg.

Gary.

Now I'm just imagining George Costanza furiously screaming "GARRRYYYYYY!!!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

My mother just saw the trailer and said to me 'Ooo, that looks like fun! It's like Star Wars vs Star Trek!'

I want you to punch your mom in the face. REALLY loving hard.

treeboy posted:

If it helps they simply used a charged phase inverted anti-polaron flow in order to regulate the containment mixture and produce enough gravimetric amperes to nullify the stresses on the hull. (this also had the unintended consequence of rendering much of the surrounding liquid into something resembling Diet Sprite)

Baby, I want to modify your phase variance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did any of the writers/producers in Generations explain why they decided to just kill Picard's nephew and brother in a fire offscreen? That always seemed pretty awful to me considering that the episode that comes from is very strong.

I have very mixed feelings about Generations, but I liked (well, appreciated), how that made it feel like a soldier far from home getting bad news by letter. It was an awful, stupid accident that killed them, and he's out in space and can't do anything.

And much as you'll only get to see Picard in such an emotional state in one of the movies, it felt pretty perfect when he just wants to brush it off and get on with his job.

• Locked thread