Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

So ummm what about that TNG episode where the future Enterprise D can go to warp 13?

The warp scale was adjusted sometime between TOS and TNG, stands to reason that it could happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Wow, I'm excited. What is that giant ship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ec_rPApKCA

:allears:

It looks like more pewpew bangbang...and I'm kinda okay with this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
To this day I'm impressed but surprised that they bothered to explain the whole parallel universe thing. I mean, they could have just made a Star Trek movie with the TOS characters but not explained anything about it being a different timeline and I think people still would have eaten it up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think the trek nerds were the intended audience though...are we really that big of a force that a plot point had to be scripted and Nimoy brought on in order to secure our dollars?

The group that would have decried the film if the had been no mention of parallel timeline can't be that massive...can it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

(ugh, do you remember that awful poo poo with Kirk somehow remembering a lightning storm or whatever?)

What's wrong with Kirk being familiar with the circumstances of his father's death? There were plenty of survivors from the Kelvin, including his mother, so it's not like nobody was around to tell him that the ship that killed his father emerged from a space storm.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BrandonGK posted:

"Hi Christopher, I'm Nero."

Good god, that is one of my top two favorite line deliveries in that movie. The other being "SPOOOOOOOOOOCHHHH!!!! SPOOOOOOOOOCHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

He really crunches down on Spock's name there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am ridiculously nonplussed by the details from that spoiler link. I have faith that it'll play entirely differently on screen than it will just reading the bullet points.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

Woooowww... Remember how so many people said that the writing in the first movie was a complete abomination with practically no redeeming value and the excuse-makers were all, "No, no, it was the strike! It's a talented bunch!"

Yeah, loving horrible.

Oh did you see the premiere? What aspects of the writing were specifically bad this time around?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

Every single major story beat that's leaked is bad? With perhaps the exception of Kirk/Pike stuff? All of the bits that they "borrowed" from ST2 are used in horrible and hackneyed ways. Even if they somehow manage to reconstruct some of the emotional resonance(and the smart money says they won't) it won't count because we've SEEN it before. When ST2 came out and you watched SPOCK DIE, it was crushing and you felt it the same way Kirk did and all the themes hit you in a similar way. You can't have that here, we've already been there. All you feel now is, "Oh hey, it's like that one time in that other movie except backwards." Ugh.

Also, the worst offense:
Magic. Healing. Blood. MAGIC. HEALING. BLOOD.

I was just thinking about this. For all it's faults, and they are legion, if you ignore the one visual flaw that will not be named, it's very pretty.

So wait...you haven't actually seen the film? I mean, I know the leaked plot points sound questionable, but as someone said earlier, you can reduce practically any movie to a list of ridiculous sounding bullet points.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Danger posted:

-Monkeys have a bone fight
-Spaceships engage in 15 minutes of foreplay, just get to boning already
-Guy runs around in upside down circles
-The robot goes crazy, but then the guy removes all of the cassette tapes and he turns off
-There's an old guy in a room for a while, then he's a baby

Man, this isn't the right thread for it, but I'd love the poo poo out of a place to "reduce your favorite movie to 5 or fewer weird bullets". 2001 is pretty wacky when phrased that way. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is probably even worse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

You're right, I am sure it's going to be just dandy as hell.

I can't wait for Kirk to be WOKEN UP FROM THE loving DEAD by MAGIC SPACE BLOOD. Because you know, that's a thing blood does. There's no context, no writing, no setup whatsoever that makes that legitimate. It's scientifically stupid as hell, narratively suicidal and it completely breaks your entire little universe since now you have a plentiful supply(unlimited once they invent replicators) of magic juice that raises the loving dead. Ugh.

But I am sure SMG will be happy to come in here and barf out some nonsense about how it's a giant metaphor where you cannot confront and battle evil without taking a little of it into yourself or some other eyerolling bullshit.

Abrams+Lindlehof is so dependably awful, it's practically a universal constant. If any of the names Orci/Kurtzman/Lindlehof appear in the credits, you're going to get a loud and silly mess.

As you've not seen the movie yet, you have no way of knowing if the context, writing, or setup will support the plot point in question. Yes, it sounds sketchy, yes I'm expecting it to fall flat as well, but I'm well prepared to be happily surprised. Neither of us has seen the movie yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

What you can't do is redefine the properties of human circulatory fluid.

Why not? You've yet to provide any argument beyond "I don't like it". Trek does strange things literally all the time. There's no reason that this particular event can't be handled well. Or it could be handled poorly. We don't know yet. On account of us not having seen the movie yet.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 24, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

Because he's already been defined AS HUMAN+. Not as something foreign entirely. And there's nothing in the genome that says Hey, your blood cures death! Uhh, death from radiation? YES! Death from old age? SURE! Death from a giant space mantis shrimp punching you in the face? Yes yes yes! It's so patently absurd on any level and the chance that the writers of this mess have the chops to somehow make something good out of the concept is functionally zero.

Yes, I get it, you're bound and determined to poo poo on this movie before it's out and phrase your argument as "nahnahnah its gonna suck and i hate it and i refuse to entertain the notion that it could possibly play better on screen than in a bullet point list". Come back when you want to at least discuss it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

api call girl posted:

e: jivjov might be familiar with the tack that I've taken with this as he and I have disagreed on the nature of the Star Wars EU franchise in the BB thread. I find much of the Star Wars EU distasteful in much the same way it appears some have found the previous Star Trek regime distasteful, viewed partially through the lens of what Frank Herbert has described in the Dune series (since at least Dune Messiah).

Just for the record, I hope I've never come off as personally insulting you. I do enjoy your analysis of things, even if I disagree with them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

:words:

What I'm still trying to grasp is why you're, in your own words, perfectly okay with 'totally inexplicable space magic', but 'totally inexplicable space blood' is not okay.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

I would be a lot more okay with this.

Better at curing disease? Healing damage? Resisting illnesses for which there's no cure? Makes you stronger, faster? Sure, okay, that's all great and there's biological precedent for it. It's internally consistent. Raising someone from the loving DEAD? Uhhh, no.

The spoiler bullet points aren't a minute-by-minute account of how the movie goes down. For all we know, Kirk is 'dead' for all of 2 minutes, and Khan's blood just induces hyper-fast natural healing that allows him to recover rather than actually dying. They could explain it as Khan's blood having super white blood cells or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tars Tarkas posted:

Magic blood ruins all future drama in the series. Oh, is Uhura going to die of Space Rabies? Magic blood! Red Shirt eaten by cloud monster? Magic blood. Kirk vs. Gorn? Magic blood for both! Space amoeba? Reversed-polarity magic blood.

Not if all of the magic blood comes from Khan. Make it a finite supply and it won't ruin anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Collateral posted:

People are healed and brought back from the dead with space magic all the time. It is a Star Trek trope. Bones gives some random woman a space magic pill in STIV and she is cured: "Are these the dark ages!" No explanation is given, because it was a self referential joke.

Yeah, if a little pill can regrow a kidney, then I'm perfectly okay with blood from a human augment, the pinnacle of perfection or whatever the gently caress, reviving someone recently dead. For the record, if Kirk, say, died in the beginning of the movie and he's dead for multiple days or something before being revived with KhanBlood, I'd find that immersion breaking and not good. If he's dead for a few minutes and gets revived...well, we can do that right now in a hospital, so it happening on the Enterprise is a-ok in my book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ApexAftermath posted:

Has anyone been able to find more complete spoilers for the film? Google only turns up that angry idiot with the spoilers on Cumberbach's character, but what I want to know is under what circumstances does the Enterprise crash/when does it happen in the film?

Yeah! What he said!

Analysis of the trailer seemed to indicate that Cumberbatch/Harrison/Khan's ship was the one crashing through buildings, etc, not the enterprise

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

Though I'm personally fond of FIRE EVERYTHING!!!!!

I think the point we've all been circling around is that Bana is one of the high points of that movie and has pretty much every single "great line delivery" in the film. (The one major exception being Spock's "Go gently caress yourselvesLive long and prosper".)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I highly doubt that hiding the fact that the villain is Khan was meant to avoid comments on racism and/or whitewashing. I would put money down that nobody at the studio even thought that would be a concern. The hiding of the identity of the villain of the film was meant to cause a "shock" moment in the theaters when Cumberbatch reveals his name is Khan and the jaws of everyone who watched Wrath drop to the floor

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hasters posted:

Well except for the fact that Scotty specifically mentioned in the first movie that he accidentally killed Porthos, or at least one of his descendants.

That dog will rematerialize at some point. We're just not entirely sure where.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

forever gold posted:

No one in America is excited about Benedict Cumberbatch.

I dunno about that, a huge chunk of my friend-group is super excited to see Cumberbatch on the big screen and we're all Americans.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

It's fair to say there's a market for people who have seen BBC material (which is primarily young people) but that it won't capture an older demographic or one which isn't interested in outside media that much.

My Dad doesn't know Cumberbatch by name, but he's liked what he's seen of Harrison in the trailers so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Some brave posting here.

But accurate. I do get very tired of the cliche "action equals dumb" and "talking equals good" mentality I see floating around. Not just here, and not just about this movie. Smart actions scenes and dumb dialog scenes are totally a thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fishmonkey posted:

As someone who's not familiar with Star Trek, I really enjoyed this movie. My favorite part was the climactic fight. I didn't realize Vulcans were stronger and faster than humans, so it puzzled me when Spock teleported to the surface alone. I was thinking "You should've brought backup; Khan's gonna snap your skinny rear end in half."

Then Spock started doing his thing :aaa:. Apparently, Vulcans turn into Super Saiyans if you make them angry enough.

I think Vulcan is supposed to be a slightly higher gravity world (I wanna say 1.4 earth g) but I don't have memory alpha on hand to fact-check that. That explains Vulcan strength being a bit higher than human norm.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cellophane S posted:

I don't think transporting works like that, worst case you could end up as a mess of atomic goo.

It worked in Voyage Home...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

theperminator posted:

All the talk about "where were the other ships", remember the bit where the captains and xo's of all the ships in the sector gathered in the meeting room and got shot?

Field promotions for everybody!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I've actually gone up to a theater before and argued with a manager for 15 minutes because my ticket clearly says "12:01am Thursday" and that happens in about half an hour, or whatever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gatts posted:

Did they seriously include this poo poo in the movie? How? Context? Details?

72 missiles (containing 72 genetically engineered superpeople) being equated to 72 virgins, perhaps?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

monster on a stick posted:

Understood, but nobody said "hey, 72 is the same number of virgins that suicide bombers are supposed to get, maybe we should change it a little because nobody except hard-core Trek fans will care anyway"?

VVVV Also: in "Space Seed" there were 84 pods, but only 72 survivors, including Khan.

I could have just been a randomly chosen number. I highly doubt anyone consciously made that choice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

So I was with this movie riiiight until The reverseal of the ending of Wrath of Khan. I mean, I get it, it's a nice sentiment, especially with the new timeline and all, but Spock yelling Khan just killed the moment.

The moment I heard that Harrison was actually Khan, I KNEW someone would scream it. My inner child is delighted. My sensibilities are offended.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LankyIndjun posted:

Exactly. Before you use "casting the best actor for the role" as your argument for whitewashing...Realize that having a black or Asian or Latino or whatever play, say, Kirk or Spock or McCoy, was never even close to an option. There's absolutely no way that they would try to cast a non-white actor for Kirk; whereas they at best had an open casting call for Khan, although it seems more likely to me that they explicitly whitewashed the role and sought a white actor.

Not true. They had originally cast Benicio del Toro for the part, but he pulled out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Man, I've watched quite a bit of Trek, but I must've missed whatever this was from. In what circumstance does Riker have fake sideburns?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thom12255 posted:

Does transwarp beaming allow you to beam someone back from another planet or just put them there?

I suppose that would depend on if the place you sent them to has a Transwarp transporter or not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought Spock said it was something that Scotty should have already discovered and that is why he does not feel guilty about giving it to them?

It was something he was going to develop in the future. I imagine in the Prime Timeline, Scotty figures it out later on in life rather than early on in his career. (A lot like the Transparent Aluminum thing from Voyage Home)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bobkatt013 posted:

Nice to know that now Spock is just gently caress the past, he can do what he wants. He learned so much from Kirk.

Well, the same plot point came up in Voyage Home. Transparent Aluminum is a "modern" 23rd century thing that Scotty just dumps into the 1980s.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

I also got that impression.
Khan kicks her in the gut at one point, and then when she's back on the Enterprise she's holding her stomach and I remember thinking, "Holy poo poo did Khan kick her in the stomach while she was pregnant?"

I'm pretty sure he stomped on one of her limbs. There was a gross bone-cracking sound and everything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

1st AD posted:

If it's the end (and I half-assumed it would end anyways since Abrams will be making Star Wars for the next decade) then look forward to the future of Star Trek:

NOTHING

I don't think it's gonna take him a decade to direct Star Wars Episode VII. It's slated for 2015, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

He is making 3 Star Wars films.

Source please? He's only confirmed for Episode VII. There have been rumors of him getting VIII and IX, but unless something has been announced in the last couple days, it is by no means confirmed.

• Locked thread