Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The best thing that Roddenberry ever did for Star Trek was to die.

Also, a friend claims Cumberbatch has silver eyes in the trailer, I can't tell.

Hell yes. I just hope we get some backstory as to who he is and why this is all happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Star Trek has so much baggage from being invented in the 70's. Science, ethics, the current discourse, so much has moved on from then.

I kind of think that a new show set in space should be made with the same mission as Star Trek originally had, but with new and more timely ideas to really challenge a modern audience. Some way of having legitimacy and not coming off as a knockoff trek would be needed, though.

I think it's far more likely a suit will look at the most successful shows on TV and ask for a version of one to be set in space. Hence, I'm sure "game of thrones in space" is coming sooner or later.

Battlestar Galactica?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Jack posted:

From what I just read, this movie was written more in the tone of GI:Joe Rise of Cobra than the 2009 Abrams Trek. Dumb action "schlock" is fine by me, but this is Prometheus levels of dumb.

I'm avoiding spoilers, but if that is your logic, it sounds like I'm going to love this movie. Reminder: not everyone feels the same way about Prometheus that you do.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
^^ I was hoping Khan would turn out to actually be a decent dude and help take the fight to Section 31, but nope plain old Khan, and if old Spock said he is a villain then he must be the villain!

I enjoyed it, but the entire Khan spectacle was a disappointment since I went in blind and was hoping for Gary Mitchell instead. Please don't tell me we are going to rehash the original movies in sequential order now. Nothing else to add to this discussion other than I hope the next movie isn't The Voyage Home part 2 or some poo poo.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Gatts posted:

John Cho is 40. What the gently caress? The dude is like in his late 20s or 30s to me. Still, seems like a cool dude.

Holy poo poo! I would have guessed early thirties at most.

Na'at posted:

Having Kirk's corpse get covered in tribbles that fall from an overhead compartment prompt Bones to have a eureka moment would have been the best possible call back.

Oh my god now I too am quite mad about this. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Helsing posted:

I don't have a particularly deep investment in the Star Trek franchise. I was never a huge fan and when I revisit the old stuff I am mostly struck by how corny and dumb it all is. I just think that if there is one thing that actually made the Star Trek franchise stand out at all it was those moments when it did aim to be a bit more cerebral and philosophical. If you are going to bother to remake or update the series I'd rather see a new variation on those themes. Sure, do something new with them, but don't completely ditch the one part of Star Trek that actually makes it distinctive.

I'm reasonably confident that these films will never leave a cultural mark comparable to the originals because TOS or Next Gen were at least distinctive and striving to do something slightly unusual. The new ones are so derivative that they are barely distinguishable from Force Awakens or Guardians of the Galaxy or any of those other dull action sci-fi films of the last few years.

drat, this is exactly how I've felt about the new movies (Star Trek, Star Wars, and Guardians), but I wasn't smart enough to articulate those thoughts. Love me some OG Trek though.

• Locked thread