Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Man, gently caress. The balls on JJ Abrams right now. Considering Wrath of Khan is a better Star Trek film than Trek '09, and the vast majority of film can't really touch it, big loving balls.

I'm sure it'll be watchable, but I really feel gross trying to get excited for the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Actually if I recall, Nero's ship gets outfitted with borg weaponry and stuff.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

Does the character have another name? Something about "Oh no! It's... GARY!" doesn't fill me with much dread.

What was my grandson's name again?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Well, I now know what everyone is talking about and oh my god, gently caress that ending, oh my god, if that's true I'm so out.

Look, I'm not against magic space blood. I'm against it when it's used to utterly remove any sort of consequence from the film. If you're really going to loving end your film with a role reversal of The Wrath of Khan, and remove any and all weight from it by using Magical Tribble Plot Device so that Bones can be all "oh my god! magical space blood!" and come in at the last minute, go "haha, gently caress you!" to the camera, bring back Kirk, and not even at least suggest that this might have dire consequences in the future to inject the blood of Kirk's worst enemy into him? Who the hell writes that?

What I find more offensive is the fact that yes, they bring back Khan, and yes, it's Cumberbatch, after Pegg came out and said that wasn't true. What a stupid, stupid move. Especially when none of it's done in a clever, or interesting matter. It's the problem with nerd culture, making callbacks and references to the classics, done not in a clever or interesting way, but for the sake of reference or callback. Treading on the ground of Wrath of Khan, the apex of what Trek is all about, and having these really poorly done callbacks with this idiotic magical blood deus ex machina, is just utterly insulting.

I'm going to pour a stiff drink and watch Wrath of Khan. I've really lost hope for this film being any good.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

nelson posted:

Yeah I know what you mean. But he's also the guy who organized the entire thing :/

Was Gene Roddenberry ever captain of the Enterprise? Did Tom Clancy command the Red October? Was it JJ Abrams who opened the hatch?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah, only it wouldn't at all. Contorting a canon explanation doesn't actually fix the underlying issue. They could've said Nero brought back White Matter as well as Red Matter, but it still would've been an issue. Sorry if that bums you out, but whitewashing sucks and films shouldn't do it. I really don't know how you could read the posts discussing it and think that a handwavey "plastic surgery" explanation would actually fix things.

What's hilarious is making Cumberbatch's character literally anybody but Khan would have done nothing but improved the film.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Locutus of Bald posted:

And now JJ Abrams has given me two separate 2 hour long versions of that scene.

Well, at least in a few years we'll have Chris Pine using the bridge set to sell IT software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWMrMmrE_es

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What purpose is served by naming the character Khan?

So JJ Abrams can break the fourth wall and go "Hey guys! I'm a nerd too, just like you guys! Get ready for your cue, and we're all gonna shout KHAAAANNN! right on schedule!"

It's really a pointless inclusion. They could have made Cumberbatch anybody else, and hinted at, or introduced Khan in some subtle way, and it would have been a way stronger film for it. That's my major problem with Into Darkness, it's a film that pretty much requires previous knowledge of the franchise in the most superficial level to work. Imagine you'd never seen or heard of Trek, and was left staring at the screen in amazement and wonder at the Khan reveal - it leaves a real sour taste in the mouth.

quote:

You straightup said on the previous page that a pale person should not have been cast over a brown person (in your words "someone who could look the part") and that acting range or ability is not something to consider here (), when there is nothing about the film or franchise that demands such attention to race. It's a really "beep boop" approach to combating racism that completely ignores context or common sense.

So going off the current Hollywood landscape, are you saying that white people make the best actors? Because if it's all about "the best actor for the part," and white actors have consistently dominated Hollywood and cinema for quite some time now, at the expense of whitewashing other roles, you're pretty much saying that white people are somehow, magically, the best actors. Here's a thought - maybe 1) there's plenty of non-white actors just as strong as a lot of leading men and women these days and 2) Perhaps if you took a chance and gave these sort of roles to non-white actors, they'd become, I don't know, better actors through experience?

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Yeah, so I didn't enjoy this film, but I appreciate the attempt to make the villains of the film literal fanfiction - right down to the very loving core. Like, the bad guys are a 12 year old's imagination, with all their Mary Sues and all - I know because I was 12 and I had the same dumb ideas about pretending to be a Starship captain - with a super stealth warship armed to the teeth, the Section 31 with their secret manufacturing base, Khan being pretty much all powerful and hardly any weaknesses - it's like a loving 12 year old was in the writing room.

Let's start with the USS Vengeance. This very shot lines up the hilarity of it's invention - it's loving name alone is so ridden with loving angst. The way Bendy Dick Come On Me Bats describes it to Kirk is also hilarious - "twice the size, three times as powerful, with advanced weapons technology," he's like a child describing his poorly drawn sketch to his friends. The fact it runs on a skeleton crew, even one person if necessary, removing the need to write stories for any other characters in their fan fiction is simply perfect. It's a Section 31 project - the secret black ops division of the Federation that answers to nobody and plays by their own rules - meaning that there's no pesky authority figures to stop them from doing what's necessary and unleashing hot firey death upon those who oppose them with their mechanically enhanced space dick. The ship is a childish power fantasy designed by someone feeling so powerless in their own lives they need to escape to a fantasy of ridiculous, extremist power imbalance in order to have some sort of dopamine release.

Which brings me to Khan. Khan is hilarious - superhuman with magical space blood, who always seems to be one step ahead, and if it's not through outsmarting his enemy it's through brute force, because he's just that cool damnit. In this scene on Cronos, where he shows up above everyone, in his dark cloak, dual-weilding two ridiculous weapons, dominating everyone, wiping out the Klingons without breaking a sweat singlehandedly - it's a vulgar display of power. Nothing fazes him, not even a battalion of Klingons. He is a child's self-insert, again such a ridiculous, over the top power fantasy that it's utterly hilarious. It's the truly disgusting practice of white washing him with Cumberbatch and removing any sort of history between Kirk and Khan, which was a large part of why Wrath of Khan worked. The reveal is utterly pathetic, because it has nothing to do with the actual film - and everything to do with the audience. "Hey! Remember this guy! This is how you know he's the real villain! Also we needed... an excuse... to have Old Spock show up, for some reason, I guess..." Khan's inclusion is really the writers not feeling confident in their villain on their own, which they were right to, because he was a rather weak one, and is even worse making him Khan. Mainly because he's a 12 year old's fanfiction Mary Sue, but alas.

There is a story in there, of course, about the "real Trek" of Kirk and company defeating a children's overpowered inventions of the Vengeance and an ubermensch with magical space blood working under a secret black ops organization that answers to nobody to do what needs to be done, but it was rather wasted on Into Darkness' complete lack of imagination - down to suicide bombers and Khan committing space 9-11 against San Francisco, which is truly hilarious considering Trek '09 also involved Earth in it's climax. There's a sheer lack of the imagination that Trek was really known for, and it as a film really fails to take any risks, unfortunately, even down to magical space blood bringing Kirk back to life in it's final moments.

Pictured: The core villain of Into Darkness. Notice how everyone is white, much in line with Khan's whitewashing in Into Darkness.

It's a real lack of consequence honestly, to confront the fact that the Enterprise and it's crew are up against a child's power fantasy - plot armor versus desperate angst - the death and destruction Khan causes are hardly touched upon. His space 9/11 is quickly forgotten, and Starfleet quickly rebuilds, same as it ever was. In a sense, it feels more like a squash - a kicking of dirt in the poor 12 year old boy's face, his young mind's creations destroyed and trampled over as the "real Trek" carries on without a hitch. Almost as if "real" writers, frustrated with fandoms and fan creations, felt the need to stomp them outright, infuriated anyone would want a Trek beyond the official canon. Into Darkness feels more like a vulgar display of power than a real critique of it's own ideals, whilst it touches on the long distance drone strikes of the American government, a mandatory moment of covering real world issues, it quickly drops this subplot to continue it's throwbacks to Old Trek.

The penis is canon. The alien is fans. "Real" Kirk is hiding, sweaty, clutching to "real Trek" hoping the fan fiction writer, in all their horror, cannot find him, as he descends Into Darkness.

yronic heroism posted:

I like the episode where Sisko said "Actually black people weren't really welcome in the setting of this hologram program" and boycotted it.

Yo, can I get some embellishment on this episode? I wanna watch it if it's possible.

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 2, 2013

• Locked thread