Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just saw the film! I enjoyed it quite a lot. On the topic of Kirk's death, I thought it was an impressive example of how the film used homage to take what would normally be cheesy scenes and make them powerful and effective. Spock shouting "Khaaaaan!", Kirk sacrificing himself in the core and then being revived later, these are obvious echos of the original films in all their cheesy glory, yet invoking the older film made them work.

The film being about Kirk and Spock coming to understand each other with the whole passion/logic thing made their reversal of roles from the classic film more powerful, and I found it quite compelling. Good film!

Edit: I'm sure these are all points that everyone's said and showed up in the Current Releases review, but I just wanted to say that where others might have felt the film leaned too heavily on its relation to Wrath of Khan, I thought it was a great way to let the film do scenes that otherwise wouldn't have worked in this day and age.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread