Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Why Cumberbatch isn't playing Sybok is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Voyage Home rules, you dummies. I know that and I don't even like Star Trek.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

weekly font posted:

I hope he plays Q. gently caress it, why not?

Well, there was that guy in the original series that was sort of a proto-Q.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

What episode is Gary Mitchell featured in?

The Second Pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Timby posted:

Kurtzman and Orci oversee the comics; they're considered to be canon in the JJTrek universe. Everything done in the comics happens with the full approval and endorsement of them.

And at the sign of JJ wanting to use something in the movie, they'll drop that pretense, I have no doubts.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So the Japanese version of that teaser has a tad bit extra footage at the end, including one shot that makes me go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hope that isn't what I think it is."

Wrath of Khan ending much?

http://i.imgur.com/kpauL.jpg

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Is it me or does the starship crashing into the bay look a hell of a lot like the Enterprise as it looked in the Original Series (rectangular nacelles instead of the curved roundish ones)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The nacelles were round in the original series. You mean in the original movies?

Yes indeed I do.

This:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

The entire premise of the first film was an elaborate way of establishing "things are allowed to be different now" in a manner acceptable to even the most canon-anal fans, and yet the dance continues.

Nothing says "I got a big-rear end stick up my butt!" quite like whining about Star Trek.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 11, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I saw it in IMAX yesterday when me and the family went to The Hobbit. Holy poo poo, this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I loved the design of that planet, and when Giachinno's score kicked in when the Enterprise gets ready to take off out of the water I was fully on board.

I loved that that planet's name was Niburu.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Ah yes, the Blue and Orange thing. I wish films would stop it! gently caress the fact that the color temperatures for most film lights are blue (5600 Kelvin) and orange (3200k), no, let's invent new lights that give off no color!

gently caress COLOR!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

That really has nothing to do with it.

It really does. Yes, they may be color graded in these days, but the use of the colors is based on the color temperature spectrum, and their popularity is because of how prominent blue and orange is on that spectrum.

Blue and Orange has been around since color film has been around. It's nothing new, and won't go away in a hurry.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Justin Beiber as Wesley Crusher.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Looks like those Star Trek fans who dislike Abrhams direction can rejoice. Into Darkness will probably be his last, as he is apparently going to move over to Star Wars now.

Weird.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

frumpus posted:

I thought he turned that down. Is there a source for this?

Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood is reporting it. She may be human scum, buuut she's almost never wrong.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Man, apparently the internet is full of genius funny people, because these lens flare jokes are certainly the height of comedy.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Not to burst any fantasy casting bubbles, but Disney pretty much outright stated that it's going to be a sequel to the original trilogy, and that if any characters return, they will most likely be played by the same actors (Hamill for instance)

Of course, they won't say anything official, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Luke is an Obi-Wan esq character in this new trilogy.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If you have the Star Trek phone app, you can book tickets for a preview screening on the 15th of May.

I would, but the nearest one to me is 18$. No thanks.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you have to have the app to get this or is it possible for you to post a link?

It's through Fandango, but it seems to only be accessible through the ap.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

You can go directly through Fandango. It seems to be IMAX theaters.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

penismightier posted:

Looks like this:

It's basically bifocals for the camera so they can keep things far apart in focus like this:

They still use them a lot but they're usually much better at hiding the change in focus, lots of digital painting and strong line breaks. This shot from All the President's Men uses the same technique but much more subtly:

Robert Wise went balls out in TMP so there are these moments were two people are in focus and some machines around them, and everything else is fuzzy. It's really unworldly, I love it.

You just answered a question I've had that literally none of my professors could properly answer.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So I was with this movie riiiight until The reverseal of the ending of Wrath of Khan. I mean, I get it, it's a nice sentiment, especially with the new timeline and all, but Spock yelling Khan just killed the moment.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I think I saw this film with the entirety of Tumblr in the audience. Every little thing elicited a weird shriek from a chunk of people sitting behind me. Khan's reveal was one of them

They would also clap for absolutly anything positive happening in the film. I enjoy spontaneous applause for a huge moment, but Spock jumping off a ship onto another ship then landing a mean punch isn't really one of those.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Did TOS every explicitly state that Khan was of Indian decent? That isn't a snarky question, it's just that I haven't seen Space Seed in a very very long time and do not remember.

Also: I wish things had gone more this way: Cumberbatch isn't Khan, but is one of the Botany Bay cryo people, and all his actions are to free Khan, and continue their work. I would have enjoyed that more.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Also if I remember correctly Kirk did not give a gently caress about the Prime Directive. He would break it all the time.

Can't bone fine alien women if they aren't allowed to know you exist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

I think the scream echoing in space, with the moon (and volume of the scream) slowly receding worked really well. It wasn't JUST the scream.

I don't think Spock yelling "KHAAAANNN!" works because we just had a very emotional moment with Kirk dying that is supposed to echo the mirror scene in TWOK. The audience is supposed to feel sadness, especially if they saw TWOK. Then Spock yells the comeback line and at least to me, it didn't feel right. The original line was pretty cheesy, and having a cheesy scream after a sad scene ruins the impact of both. If this was done differently - say, showing a clearly distraught Spock leaving Engineering, then increasing angry (losing control of his Vulcan side) as he finds Khan on Earth and orders himself beamed down. He turns, sees a figure running - and yells a battlecry of "KHAAAAAAAAAN!" Cheesy but now it's the start of an action sequence, and there would have been more of a buildup.

That it didn't happen this way upsets me immensely.

• Locked thread