Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to seeing the teaser, it looks like it could be fun. Like it looks like a Trek story to me- the crew gets trapped on an alien planet where aliens are fighting. (Come to think of it, of the old movies, Star Trek III is the only one with a "planetary exploration" angle, and that's not 100% the focus.)

TMP is really cool in some areas (it looks gorgeous, Goldsmith's score is terrific, Nimoy gives an especially strong performance) and really badly flawed in others. Like, nobody pointed out in the process of putting the story together that we're spending at least half the movie on the bridge looking at things on the viewer? Or that a huge part of the drama revolves around these two characters we don't know very well at all? Plus both of the major action scenes are staged in these really odd, kind of annoying ways.

It works out to I think a good movie overall but there's some missed opportunity there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Generations feels way too inconsequential for a movie where Kirk dies and the Enterprise is destroyed. The visions of eternal paradise are a decent looking ranch house and some weird treacly Victorian bullcrap, Picard loses his family offscreen so he can have some "no more Picards" angst which nothing is really done with, a major part of the film is given over to some B comedy villains from the show not doing anything interesting, the ship blowing up is this insanely abrupt plot contrivance (and the scene of the saucer crash, when seen in a theater in then-new DTS sound, was like being inside a trash compactor full of glass bottles), and the grand climax to decide the fate of a planet is a bunch of old guys brawling on some rocks. (The alternate end sequence is a little better.)

It's not the worst Trek movie but it's one of the least interesting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well it's another symptom of Paramount getting to be real cheapskates with the franchise- it's a Bird of Prey so they can reuse the explosion footage from VI.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They spent a lot of money on TMP and then said "never again".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It was a movie with Kirk and Spock and McCoy in it, ergo a Trek movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I mean, yeah sure it's technically a licensed trek thing. Where Spock recognizes the foolishness of following logic and embraces his emotions and only gets things done when he's punching people.

Is this not the case in at least a few Trek episodes? Spock's pure logicalness is always a flaw.

• Locked thread