Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Helsing posted:

I don't have a particularly deep investment in the Star Trek franchise. I was never a huge fan and when I revisit the old stuff I am mostly struck by how corny and dumb it all is. I just think that if there is one thing that actually made the Star Trek franchise stand out at all it was those moments when it did aim to be a bit more cerebral and philosophical. If you are going to bother to remake or update the series I'd rather see a new variation on those themes. Sure, do something new with them, but don't completely ditch the one part of Star Trek that actually makes it distinctive.

I'm reasonably confident that these films will never leave a cultural mark comparable to the originals because TOS or Next Gen were at least distinctive and striving to do something slightly unusual. The new ones are so derivative that they are barely distinguishable from Force Awakens or Guardians of the Galaxy or any of those other dull action sci-fi films of the last few years.

As much as I like (for lack of a better term) "thinky-er" action movies, I honestly don't need the Star Blank movies to be like that. If a movie has good action and is thought provoking, I will discover it and enjoy it regardless. My tenuous connection to an established property doesn't add anything for me. If a franchise movie is smart, cool beans, but it's not gaining bonus points for having Jedis or Ferengi (or superheroes for that matter).

Of course, like most movies, these franchise movies are often stupid. Frankly, at this point, it may be too much to ask for them to not be stupid. I would settle for them just not being dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread