Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really wish they would just write an original story rather than continually revisiting old material, but clearly they want to go the Khan route. It's a bit annoying though, because just 10 years ago with Nemesis that film was attempting to recreate Wrath of Khan and failed miserably. Granted, JJ Abrams and Co. are light-years better than Stuart Baird and John Logan. I'll be curious to see how the Klingons fit into everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

You can ignore the stuff about the room that leads no where, or the shuttle bay being in a strange location. But there are some very good points raised about the overall storyline, and actions of the characters, that just ruins the movie.

I really can't say anything positive about the TNG movies, sorry! Voyage Home is an awesome movie though. I was under the impression everyone liked it?
I liked how they wrote Picard's character to an extent in FC. It at least showed that he was still haunted by the Borg, and actually was human enough to have a vendetta against them for their crimes against him. I don't believe it's necessarily inconsistent from his character, since he tended to be pretty withdrawn for the most part emotionally from the rest of the crew. Plus you end up with a situation where he's just lost the Enterprise-D about a year before FC, and now the Borg are going to do it again and he's nearly powerless to stop them.

I also appreciated the fact that Worf stood up and challenged Picard on his decision-making, something 1st Season TNG Worf wouldn't have done.

While the time-travel and the creation of the Queen was not the greatest thing, overall it's by far the best TNG movie and I put it 2nd best among Trek films. Although I'm a TNG homer so you can take it with a grain of salt if you want.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

When you look at the whole comic backstory it just seems like Spock was a convenient scapegoat for the Vulcans as a whole failing to help the Romulans. At least Spock actually tried to do something, even if it failed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Trek09 is Nemesis done right. Both are grabs for mainstream attention with a more action-heavy, blockbustery approach, but in Nemesis it's an insanely awkward fit done by people who don't know how to make it work and just reeks of desperation- it's like a 49 year old guy slathering on Axe and going to a frat party to pick up chicks. (This also applies to much of Enterprise.) Trek 09 starts with a clean slate and makes the approach work.
Honestly the villain in Trek '09 is secondary to the main Enterprise crew, which is a good thing considering most of his backstory was left on the cutting room floor. I think that's why it works. If they had removed all that backstory and still spent a lot of the movie focusing on Nero, the film would have been closer to Nemesis levels of quality. But it also helps that they had a competent director for Trek '09, whereas Nemesis was both poorly directed and written. Considering the performances we've seen out of Tom Hardy post-Nemesis, I believe the writing was the main issue. He clearly wasn't the problem.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Well, we know that Cumberbatch's character has some connection to Starfleet, because there are set photos of him having a fistfight with Spock, and Cumberbatch is wearing the same black cadet shirt that Kirk wore in the first film.

Also, the original Khan report came from TrekMovie.com, not AICN, and TrekMovie broke several huge pieces of news during the buildup to Trek '09 and is not generally known for making poo poo up, which is why the report gained some traction.
I guess those photos could lend some credence to the idea that maybe Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, the Unity was from the Shatner novels and was a sort of Borg collective type thing that lived/traveled through subspace and the galactic barrier was put in place to keep it out of ours. Gary Mitchell's brush with it started a weakening process, to the point that the Unity could start popping out of subspace in our galaxy and assimilate/replace high ranking admirals and junk.

At one point Kirk finds a planet where klingons and romulans are living together in peace, then falls in love with a bones a half/half chick. Then due to some crazy Mirror Universe and Precursos shenanigans it turns out that the collective DNA of all the humanoid races in the galaxy is a sort of master key to the galactic barrier, and Kirk's kid's particular DNA mix is somehow the perfect one and he goes all Jesus and sacrifices himself to recharge the barrier to keep the Unity out.

The Shatnerverse trek books are legitly hosed up. Although IMO some of the Borg and Mirror Universe stuff in them is pretty drat cool.
You left out the book Return, where after the events of Star Trek: Generations the movie, the Borg and some Romulans resurrect Kirk with Borg technology.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not very sold on that title, if that's indeed what they go with. It's very clunky.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Between this trailer and watching the behind the scenes features on the TNG BluRays, the problem with this poo poo is pretty obvious: There Are No Longer Enough Nerds Working In Star Trek.
In my view, part of the problem is that the infrastructure of Star Trek that existed from the 1980s until Enterprise concluded in 2005 basically doesn't exist anymore. Those people are either dead, retired, or working on other projects. As a result, the 'old' Star Trek is sadly as good as dead now.

It's also not exactly the best era for sci-fi in any form. The genre has taken a major hit over the past two decades as the old guard has died/retired, and not been really replaced with new blood. Add that to the fact that there are so few viable sci-fi TV or film franchises today, and it's not a good time for those kinds of writers.

I enjoyed JJTrek a decent amount, but it did lose some of the charm that the original version of Star Trek had in its various forms. I didn't see much in this new trailer to suggest where the film is really going, so it's hard to make a judgement as of yet. Once we get a full-length trailer with more story information we can at least figure out what they want to do with this movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did any of the writers/producers in Generations explain why they decided to just kill Picard's nephew and brother in a fire offscreen? That always seemed pretty awful to me considering that the episode that comes from is very strong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

They should probably just retcon that area to be the water reclamation system, which is right beside engineering, or something.
Agreed, I want a drat warp core.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just because the character has a different name doesn't mean that they can't use the same background for Mitchell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think there was that extended scene filmed where Nero's people mention something about Kirk, but it was cut

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Abrams revealed in an interview that the studio forced him to release 'Star Trek Into Darkness' in 3D for 'economic reasons'. He didn't want to do it, but wasn't given a choice in the matter. He claims he's come around on the format somewhat, but in general dislikes it because he can't really watch 3D movies himself without issues.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...easons-20130111

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

And even he worked with Section 31. But overall he was the most competent/least corrupt by a wide margin.

I guess Admiral Forrest from Enterprise wasn't that terrible either, now that I think about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kirk wasn't corrupt enough to be an Admiral, so they knocked him back to Captain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

I've never thought about it before, but Starfleet really did have a horrible command staff. How did they not lose the Dominion war?
Well we never saw much of what Picard and Co. were doing during that time, did we?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

I actually realy like Janeway, mainly due to Kate Mulgrew, but she is definitely more erratic and prone to wildly bizarre decisions than the other main captains. Part of that is because the writers disagreed with the actress on what direction to take the character.

More on topic: Did they ever consider doing a DS9 or Voyager film? Or a Star Trek film not tied to one of the television series?
There was a rumor at one point of them doing an animated film set like 50-100 years after the end of Voyager, where the Federation is in shambles, but it doesn't seem like that ever got off the drawing board. I don't remember whether that was before the Abrams films or not.

I can't honestly recall anyone suggesting DS9, VOY, or ENT films. None of those shows were as popular as TNG, and TNG films were made until ENT's run, so it probably wasn't necessary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I like that idea better than attempting to have someone else play Khan, to be honest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes, one of the design guys posted renderings on his blog at one point, and they matched up better with the engineering sections that we know and love from earlier ST.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nero's actions are especially stupid when you consider that in Countdown (the prequel comic), Spock is the one who does the most to save Romulus, and while he does fail, he did more than anyone to try and stop its destruction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh poo poo, I had forgotten Peter Weller is in this. My recent viewing of season five of 24 suddenly has my mind interpreting the apparent plot in a whole new way. :ohdear:
He's also been in a Star Trek series before, back at the very end of Enterprise in a two parter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrNutt posted:

My biggest hope for this game is that there will be a button dedicated to bro fisting your co-op partner like in those Army of Two games. That way, when I'm playing Spock and pull of a sick headshot I can turn to Kirk and be like, "Bro! That was sick! Pound it!"
Or better yet, the upgradeable cursing from 50 Cent: Blood and Sand

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Huh, I just read on Memory Alpha that the Gorn episode was the first time they ever make mention of the 'Federation,' 19 episodes in no less!
Early in the series, Starfleet wasn't a term yet. Instead the Enterprise was part of UESPA (United Earth Space Probe Agency), which sounded more like NASA and less like a galactic navy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cingulate posted:

When did they settle on the idea that the Enterprise represented not only a united humanity, but a united federation of multiple planets and species?
Good question. Somewhere I have an old, out of print Gene Roddenberry bio that I need to read which covers the production of Star Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think that's the one I have.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gyges posted:

Everyone knows you have to wait until the 3rd movie.
Working title: Star Tr3k

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not sure where something like transwarp even fits, since it was never very well explained, but used often on Voyager since the Borg use transwarp to travel around. Then there's also the quantum slipstream thing, which was mentioned in a couple of episodes, and seems to be the fastest method of travel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Those look vaguely like Klingon helmets from that deleted scene from the first film

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well this is a new development. I like the possibility of Klingons as well as maybe a nod to the Excelsior?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Goreld posted:

Are those cryotubes at 43 seconds in?
I was also thinking that....it did feel like a Space Seed reference

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

Honestly Cumberbatch's character seems more like Javier Bardem's character in Skyfall than he does Khan or anything related to Khan. Former elite Starfleet operative out looking for revenge because of [macguffin], our plucky hero struggles to beat someone who is better/more seasoned/ahead at every step? Much more plausible than trying to tie in some Augments poo poo that nobody cares about.

I'm really not sure that the shot of the "cryo pods" in the trailers is even that.
He seems to be genetically enhanced in some way based on how he fights in a few of those trailer shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

For the Undiscovered Country a ship that could fire when cloaked I'd say can be classified as a super weapon. It is rare and hard to do in the Trek universe.
It's pretty much just Chang's Bird of Prey and Shinzon's ship that can do this

• Locked thread