Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Barometer posted:

He was an Indian. Khan Noonien Singh, from India. Genetically altered to be superior to average Humans in strength and intelligence, resistance to disease, etc. (also made them "unstable" mentally, so a bunch of them tried to rule the world).

I wonder how this story is going to be written, like, why does Khan give a poo poo about Kirk and Spock?

Dwayne Johnson should have gotten this role. BBS was right about Cumberbach being a shoe-in for a Vulcan but "genetically altered superman", he ain't.

It's one thing to have a guy named Khan Singh be played by a non-Indian, but by a white loving Englishman, are you kidding me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Darko posted:

Errr....no this is not the case.

His name is Khan Singh for fucks sake.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

piratepilates posted:

His ethnicity has never been a thing anyone has cared about ever

His ethnicity has never been a thing white people have cared about ever.

quote:

He's never outright been said to be of indian descent

"Star Trek TOS: Space Seed" posted:

"MARLA: From the northern India area, I'd guess. Probably a Sikh. They were the most fantastic warriors"

quote:

The movies and shows are set hundreds of years in the future after many huge wars and likely huge shakeups in culture on earth

Eugenics wars take place in the 90s.

quote:

and the fact that he's indian (if he is) has never played a role at all in star trek ever, except that he might have been a warlord in central or east Asia after being turned in to a eugenics super soldier.

Except this now means that the true master race is white people?
Instead of a vaguely Indian/Hispanic man as the leader with various different cultures under his command.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea Trek doing it is kinda extra poo poo because as crazy and weird as Gene was about what he considered 'progressive', the old stuff really did push racial barriers.

Also kinda poo poo because Kim Noonien Singh was the name of a war buddy of Gene's that he was trying to reach out to. (At least, according to IMDB)

JJ Abrams, disrespecting the troops.
:911:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

At least the British actually have a history in the region. I still find it less racist than a Mexican and [potentially] a Puerto Rican. Both of which are acceptable because, what, all non-whites are interchangeable?

The British is way goddamn worse. Hey Indian people, your genetic superiors are the people who were conquering you 70 years ago.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

korusan posted:

So it was revealed that Cupcake is coming back. Also apparently he's in one of the comics that lead up to the new movie (which I don't know the canon level of but they're being written with the new movie's script in mind) and he's a character from TOS called Ensign Hendorff. Basically a nobody at the time but if he's back he'll probably be doing something important. Or dying. Who knows.

Who?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That is literally the most inconsequential casting news I have ever heard.

E. Unless you're Cupcake's friends and family of course.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bob Quixote posted:

Oh cool, so the pages and pages of arguments about a British guy playing the role of an Indian dude formerly played by a hispanic guy were all completely pointless.

Good to know.

Hahaha that is possibly the funniest ending to this debacle.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BUT NO MEATBALLS posted:

So the TOS Klingons were campy stand-ins for the Russians, so now the new ones are campy stand-ins for Nazis? I guess?

No no no,, it has to be contemporary. The Klingons are Al Quaeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I loved Star Trek 2009, STID just plain sucked in my opinion. A thing I am still not sure about is: Where there any explosives on the torpedoes to start with? It looked like the cryo tubes would take up all the space inside. Now this would work fine if they launched them at Kronos because the people inside would still die except for Khan who would probably survive a couple of cryo tubes impacting in some area around him (if they didn't just burn up in the atmosphere but I'm no expert on Trek physics). So when they transport the emptied torpedoes onto Khan's ship at the end did they fill them with explosives that they just had on hand or what?

Oh also, what is the neutral zone? The orders were to not go to Kronos and instead go to the border of the neutral zone and fire these new long range torpedoes, yes? The Enterprise was on its way there when the warp core gave out and they were stranded. Right above Kronos. How does this work?

Am I too stupid or is the movie?

They were probably still filled with explosives cause the Admiral guy wanted to start a war with the Klingons.

• Locked thread