Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really wish they would just write an original story rather than continually revisiting old material, but clearly they want to go the Khan route.

Um, isn't Khan himself "old material"?

I'm onboard for this completely. Not a huge Trek fan, but Wrath of Khan and Star Trek (2009) are both amazing. Benedict Cumberbatch is the loving boss too.

Jefferoo posted:

Man, gently caress. The balls on JJ Abrams right now. Considering Wrath of Khan is a better Star Trek film than Trek '09, and the vast majority of film can't really touch it, big loving balls.

I'm sure it'll be watchable, but I really feel gross trying to get excited for the film.

Eh,they said that poo poo about rebooting the franchise as a whole and recasting these iconic roles.

His movie may not be the best Trek movie, but it's the second best, so this film's got my ticket.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ColonelPanic posted:

I guess I'm in the minority in not looking forward to this film and not caring for JJ Trek. To me it was a boring, paint by numbers, recycled story retold in a hipster tone.

So do you call anything you don't like "hipster"?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Fat Turkey posted:

Those upset they got a guy the director feels is best for the role sound like those people who were upset that a black man would play a Norse god in Thor.

No, it's not the same thing at all.

I love Benedict Cumberbatch and want him to get more and more roles and be in everything until everyone's sick of him. I think he'll do an amazing job. Doesn't mean I can't be disappointed that an ethnic character is being whitewashed. Apparently Benicio Del Toro had the role first and dropped out last minute, which explains it a little more, but it still kind of sucks.

Fat Turkey posted:

The actor is the directors choice (I think), and JJ Abrams carries enough weight that he's probably not got pressure from above to hire certain people.

You think directors get pressured to hire more ethnic actors?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

BrandonGK posted:

Oh this old song and dance. "The guy from Mr Mom is Batman?" "Starbuck isn't a chick!" "Bond ain't Blonde!" Who wants to bet that a year from now will all be hearing about how brilliant Cumberbatch and how his casting was a no-brainer?

Of course Cumberbatch will be awesome and you're completely, irreversibly dense if you don't understand the difference between those three examples and the conversation at hand.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 4, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Okay, cool, you don't get it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

BrandonGK posted:

My point is it doesn't matter who they got to play Kahn or what his ethnicity is. There'd be nerd rage in any event. Besides this may all be a moot point anyway. This is all based on unconfirmed internet rumors that may turn out to be bullshit anyway.

But that point doesn't make sense because it isn't 'nerd rage'. I agree that we don't even know if he's actually playing Kahn, so it may not matter, but do you not see the troubling implications of casting ethnic characters with white actors? What if they made Shaft white? What if they remade Night of the Living Dead and made Ben white? It's a practice that happens a lot and is still happening and is really regressive.

MoaM posted:

I'm hoping we all understand that Khan's character arc is more-so about meglomania than him being a persecuted minority? What ethnicity the actor is has very little relevance, especially since we don't have a leaked script or know what this new Khan's role in the movie is.

That's not the point. It's not a discussion of his character arc in the film. Benedict Cumberbatch is a great actor and will do a great job. The problem is with taking an ethnic character and whitewashing it for no real reason.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 4, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Danger posted:

To take this a bit further, its very frustrating how nerd rage is most often specifically directed at casting non-white actors as characters who were portrayed as white or even characters with no discernible racial characteristic (hell, even when fans just falsely presume such as with Hunger Games). This doesn't happen at all in the reverse, or when it does happen people make excuses similar to what have been made in this very thread.

Exactly. Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin, the Ultimates making Nick Fury black and Idris Elba as Heimdall were all fans making GBS threads the bed because their characters weren't white anymore.

7thBatallion posted:

You mean the fact that he loving spot on nailed the audition using nothing but his voice on a lovely phone is whitewashing? Stop looking for controversy. They picked him because he can act, not because he's white.

No one's denying he can act. Tons of people can act. Are you saying there wasn't a single non-white person who could have done as good a job?

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 4, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Binary Logic posted:

and most assuredly there will be MORE LENS FLARE.

Good. gently caress the anti-lens flare white noise. I loved the lens flare. It looked great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I want two hours of a washed out screen.

\/\/\/\/\/ They'd better not. Death of the Author. More lens flare. \/\/\/\/\/

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 7, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelestialScribe posted:

I really can't stand watching any type of Star Trek television show, and yet I loved the 2009 film. JJ can tell a drat good story, and I have high hopes for this one too.

The ony really good Star Trek movies are Wrath of Khan, Abrams' Star Trek and Galaxy Quest so that's not a big surprise.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I had to Google who the hell he was talking about and was able to find it.

The security officer that gets in a fight with Kirk at the bar and, later in the film, arrests him aboard the Enterprise.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 27, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

korusan posted:

Beats spergin' about Cumberbatch.

Clearly. Look at all the interesting conversation it's sparked.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Haha wtf how short is your memory? You think that's a plothole? I still remember what the kid that slapped my best friend in the face in the high school cafeteria said to him a decade ago, I'd definitely remember exactly what caused a bloody, bar-clearing brawl. Especially when they then went to Starfleet Academy together and saw each other on a regular basis. Get real.

He didn't say it was a plothole, he said it was dumb. Which it kind of is. It's just a really long time before a small callback for the audience, and in the film itself it's a weird thing for him to remember.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, that's a pretty dope quote.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think some allegedly reliable sources for websites said that that's who he was playing.

EDIT: LatinoReview may have been one of the sites that started it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

And he's just all-around a really good actor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Spock beating the poo poo out of Kirk is a legit powerful moment and Quinto's physicality in the screen was really Nimoy-like.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I like what he's doing with it. Annoyed is right, he definitely seems like he's annoyed a lot and I just think it works. I'm glad he's playing it a bit different than Nimoy while still having some shades if him in there, just like Pine and Shatner.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MrMo posted:

To be clear the reason I single out the Kirk stuff is because it's easy to call him the films main character but no one in the movie actually feels like a person; Bones is tired old doctor, Spocks is vulcan/human, Kirk is Kirk. They have labels which make them easy to identify but no real complexity that helps me really get into a movie.

Edit: also Nero is angry.

That's so reductive and easy to do with any movie.

"Clint Eastwood's good, Eli Wallach's ugly, Lee Van Cleef's bad"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The fact that anyone thinks "Sabotage" won't or shouldn't be playing in the future 24/7 is laughable to me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

echoplex posted:

I hope they make these films for another 30 years so we can get legit old Urban being bones.

Ugh, I wish I were that lucky.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Astroman posted:

Karl Urban isn't a leading movie star or anyth...

He pretty much isn't though. Zoe Saldana is at least as much of a leading movie star as he is, if not arguably more of one.

I love Urban--and specifically his Bones--as much as the next guy, but Uhura is clearly a huge character in these movies. It makes perfect sense. Plus who wants a poster packed with four white guys?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lotta people gettin' upset about a ship maybe crashing in this thread. Or a couple of people.

To me that just raises the stakes. I don't really wanna see any of the main cast bite it, the ship is the next most important member of the "crew", so killing it off definitely gets me on board.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dudes in this thread bitchin' about Nero keep forgetting Bana's amazing line deliveries. He gave it his all and I loved it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

BrandonGK posted:

"Hi Christopher, I'm Nero."

Exactly. One of the best lines of 2009.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

AlternateAccount posted:

For all it's faults, and they are legion, if you ignore the one visual flaw that will not be named, it's very pretty.

It took me a bit to think about what visual flaw you meant, then when I realized what you were talking about I was secure in my knowledge that you're literally a crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

AlternateAccount posted:

When the director himself literally uses the word "ridiculous" to describe how overwrought it was in some shots, I suppose that means we're both crazy. Oh well. And given that this sequel doesn't appear to use the same technique, I'd say it's pretty well borne out that it was silly the first time around.

Just because they're using a different style in this film doesn't mean the lens flare in the first one "silly the first time around". It looked fantastic and suited the movie. Maybe it didn't suit this one. I don't know, but I do know the lens flare was awesome and gently caress the haters.

JJ Abrams literally ended his next movie on an iris-out of a lens flare. I like to consider that a "gently caress you" too.

• Locked thread