Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Cumberbatch can act well. So I'm not worried about him doing 'Khan' well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Why Cumberbatch isn't playing Sybok is beyond me.

I'd really like to see this sequel do a classic 'monster-of-the-week' or 'Mission to Tiberius V' type of thing, but stuff like that just doesn't fly marketing wise.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm hoping we all understand that Khan's character arc is more-so about meglomania than him being a persecuted minority? What ethnicity the actor is has very little relevance, especially since we don't have a leaked script or know what this new Khan's role in the movie is.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

LesterGroans posted:

Are you saying there wasn't a single non-white person who could have done as good a job?

This really isn't an issue of affirmative action though?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
We really need to get some perspective here: JJ Abrams and co. aren't turning Virgil Tibbs into a white Jewish liberal.

Crackbone posted:

...whose ethnicity [Khan's] has already been coded into the audience's expectations...

Seriously? This is an awful stretch.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I didn't see a link for the new trailer after Aatrek's screens, so here you go (this is not the nine-minute preview).

• Locked thread